Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > MacOS 9 Install Failures

MacOS 9 Install Failures
pasha
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 14, 2000, 03:26 PM

I am having terrible problems installing MacOS 9. First, if I try to update a system folder I already have, then about 1/2 way through thi installation I get an error that reads "there was an error reading from the file 'big system morsels' installation will now stop" (or something like that. Then it leaves my system folder full of os 8 & 9 crap!

This happens no matter whdat system I start with, 8.1, 8.5.1, or 8.6. And it happens with 3 different MacOS 9 CDs (2 cds, an image of a third) and with two different CD-Rom drives.. an internal 24x Apple original, and an external writer/reader.

I have a 9600/350, 384 MB RAM, no virtual memory on. Can anyone please shed a little light on this? I can't find anything at apple that even begins to mention this issue, and noone else seems to have experienced it either. Of course, the drivers have been updated using Apple's drivers on Apple's standard 4GB drive that came with this thing.

One note is that I have a 50% success rate with a clean install from any of these 3 CDs.

Of course, you are probably all kicking yourselves wondering why he want s to update what he has. I want to check for compatability with the stuff I have first before I update the MAIN SYSTEM that I will be using. I have been working with copies of my system folder on other drives (which function fine when booted from, until MacOS 9 manages to trash them)

Please please please.. I am looking for any suggestions that might help me out here.

thank you

-Pasha

duboy
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 15, 2000, 03:29 AM

Pasha, this may be a longshot, but what if you restart your computer with the shift key down to turn off extensions, once the computer is up, then try to install? I have heard of extensions causing conflicts with OS installs in the past....maybe this will work? :-)

Gregory
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 15, 2000, 05:53 PM

I saw a lot of people post same story back in late Oct/early Nov on Apple Mac OS, MacNN and MacFixit forums. I think if you search even in MacNN or MacInTouch reports archive for Trouble-shooting OS 9 Install - they're there. Had it happen once.

Using Tomb Viewer helped some. I did an install over 8.6 and numerous clean installs to Zip 250 and secondary drives.

Greg

pasha  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 18, 2000, 01:03 PM

Well, I did try with the Extentions disabled, booted from both the CD & the HD. No luck. As for searching the archives, it has turned up nil for useful information. Apple's sitte doesn't mention this either.

-Pasha

Gregory
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 18, 2000, 04:30 PM

Here is some of what I found - doing advanced search on Apple's Mac OS Support Forum:

Quote:

As long as you have updated all of your software, you'll be fine. You can find software update lists at a variety of Mac sites. Otherwise OS 9 is VERY stable. I've installed it on my G3 at home and our two Powerbooks and haven't had a crash yet (about 4 weeks). Big system morsels usually means that you have damage somewhere in your system, or a dirty disc (just try cleaning the disc with a lint-free cloth, dry). Installing the OS will fix the system problem if there is one. When you install, start-up from the CD. Insert the CD, hit restart, hold down the "C" key. Just after the "happy mac" appears, hold down the "shift" key until the icons start their march across the bottom of your screen. Then install either a clean install, or a regular as you normally would. Good luck
http://discuss.info.apple.com/boards...6?OpenDocument
===================================
Advanced Search on terms: install, morsels, big brought up 50+ hits. I had it happen on my system once.

"This is a well known problem. Just install again. It will install just fine about half the time. It's a component in the installer on the OS9 CD. Not sure what it is, but my OS9 runs fine and that error came up the first few times I tried installing. Hope this helps."

I set my extensions to Mac OS ALL, then with OS 9 CD in tray, rebooted with "C" and ran installer. No idea why, but I would try disconnecting all your peripherals.

Greg

pasha  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 3, 2000, 02:53 PM

Well, many thanks for pointing me in the right direction. I determined it wasa whole bunch of extra files in the system file. Once I pulled out the extra sound files and the Dvorak Keyboard layout (which I found I didn't need after 8.6 anyway) it did an update install as I originally wanted.

Cheers

GFitzy
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 4, 2000, 11:56 AM

for 'Gregory', you mentioned using a program called 'Tomb Viewer', could you provide a source, more info, anything about this program, utility, aid, whatever it is.
Neither Sherlock or Copernic could turn up anything with that name!

wlonh
Professional Poster
Feb 4, 2000, 12:47 PM

it's "TOME viewer" and it is from Apple...

drat and curses, Apple does NOT give any search results for 'tome viewer' at their software archive site and versiontracker has been having server trouble...

ARRRRRRGGGGHHHHH.

try a search at versiontracker, later

wlonh
Professional Poster
Feb 4, 2000, 01:16 PM

Forum Links
Forum Rules