Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > A Loaded G5 quad or a loaded MacPro for a production environment?

A Loaded G5 quad or a loaded MacPro for a production environment?
papworth
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 18, 2006, 06:08 AM

The situation:

The machine to be replaced is a dual 1ghz mirror-door, totally loaded. We run X.4.7.

We need a new artwork machine for a busy production environment at a large format digital printers. Things seem to not be upgraded regularly cause upgrading apparently breaks rips and the bosses can be luddites. We regularly work with tiny (100kb) to huge (3GB) files in CS2 suite, and QX6.1 (cough spit), M$ office etc etc.

I know cs3 will scream when it runs native, but thats vapourware at the moment.

I understand the MacPro will run adobe stuff in rossetta and that this will be slower than a loaded G5 quad, but will the adobe stuff seem appreciably quicker than the current dual 1gh mirror?
I do my damndest to get as much ram as possible into the machines, at least 4GB to start with, along with extra drives.

So, we need noticably improved productivity and the same reliability. Would you plump for MacPro or G5 Quad?

Thanks in advance

sheer
Forum Regular
Sep 18, 2006, 08:39 AM

Go with the G5, then you know exactly what you're getting and that it will fit your workflow and third party workflows (I'm guessing printers in your case if using CS and QXP). CS2 screams on a loaded G5. The way I generally approach upgrades is if it's needed and will be put to use now, get it, rather than wait for x, y or z to ship.

Nivag
Mac Elite
Sep 18, 2006, 09:02 AM

if the upgrade policy is only when something breaks, i would go for the MacPro as it'll more future proof for software updates than then Quad.
but saying all that a Quad would still be more than useful in 3 years time (this is roughly how long your MDD has lasted) and i'd be surprised if they didn't provide the latest versions of Adobe and Quark for the G5's

justmetoo
Forum Regular
Sep 18, 2006, 12:22 PM

Originally Posted by Nivag
...i'd be surprised if they didn't provide the latest versions of Adobe and Quark for the G5's
Universal Binary runs on BOTH PPC and Intel chips, there is no "latest version" specific to either...

G5 Quads have a liquid cooled radiator for the CPUs that (to me at least) seems stupidly located above the power supply. Be aware of this. G5 Quads or MacPro can suit up 16 GB RAM total, but the G5 RAM is MUCH MUCH cheaper. Mac Pro chipset has been shown to upgrade easily, even to the future Clovertown 4-core chips, making an 8 core unit. BIG selling feature to me at least. Pros and cons to both... short or long term gains must be factored in, blah, blah, blah...

papworth  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 19, 2006, 02:05 PM

Thanks for the input gents.
I think we'll be going for the MacPro in an effort to future proof studio, with the chips coming in sockets,
and the simple RAM and HD set up, this looks to be a deal maker compared to the more fiddley G5s.

MacKeyser
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 19, 2006, 04:19 PM

The problem is that the Mac Pro may have issues in your production environment. Since time is money, the G5 Quad will be more stable, especially over the next 12 months than the Mac Pro. As well, the memory is tons cheaper.

As much as I am an advocate for the Mac Pro, I wouldn't recommend it for "luddite" environments since there could be some "gotchya" costs which surprise you.

And I wouldn't worry about future chips. That G5 Quad will continue to scream for years to come. Just think of how many production environments are only NOW upgrading to the G5 Quad from the G4 Quicksilver.

SierraDragon
Mac Elite
Sep 19, 2006, 09:16 PM

Originally Posted by papworth
...So, we need noticably improved productivity and the same reliability. Would you plump for MacPro or G5 Quad?...
Key is what apps, drivers, RIPs, etc. will be running on it. If past history is any measure, the printer world is the lamest in upgrading to deal with new boxes.

If you are just running Adobe apps and not dealing with the printer environment I would say Mac Pro for sure, but it sounds like you are also dealing with other issues that might or might not take many months to resolve on MacIntels. Buy the G5 and buy only 2 GB sized RAM modules so you can add RAM as needed.

Originally Posted by papworth
...I understand the MacPro will run adobe stuff in rossetta and that this will be slower than a loaded G5 quad, but will the adobe stuff seem appreciably quicker than the current dual 1gh mirror?...
I have the same G4, and yes the Adobe stuff will seem quicker on a Mac Pro under Rosetta.

-Allen Wicks

papworth  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 20, 2006, 05:47 AM

Uuurgh.
Hmmm.
Aaaah.

Your advice is compelling, and the bosses would not appreciate an iffy workstation just after someone installed a crappy dell server.
My advice shall change.
I will push for the G5. Now we just have to find one.

Thank you again. Invaluable advice.

Nivag
Mac Elite
Sep 20, 2006, 07:30 AM

there's a Quad on Apple UK's Refurb site

Power Mac G5 QUAD 2.5GHz /512MB /250GB /SD /GF6600

• Save 30% off the original price
Original price: �2,299.01
Your price: �1,609.30
( Last edited by Nivag; Sep 20, 2006 at 10:19 AM. )

papworth  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 20, 2006, 07:46 AM

mmm.
just been ogling that very machine, the price is a no-brainer too, compared to the other online shops still selling the G5s.

Nivag
Mac Elite
Sep 20, 2006, 10:19 AM

i've been looking at the prices of the Xserve Raid drives, 49% off! must be some new ones coming out.

Forum Links
Forum Rules