Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Adware on OS X?

Adware on OS X?
JoshuaZ
Professional Poster
Mar 21, 2007, 10:41 AM

So I've been getting a decent number of popups on Safari (maybe one or two daily) lately looking like the one below. I've got the Safari popup blocker going, and this confuses me. I have to ask if anyone has been getting these, if its OS X specific, or if its just some web based crud. (I'm assuming the later as I've not seen any news about this sort of thing floating around the tubes.)

Not trying to be a troll or anything, wondering whats up.

CaptainHaddock
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 21, 2007, 10:49 AM

That's just a Javascript alert() box. Any web page can generate one. I imagine if you click "ok", it'll do a web-redirect to a Windows program which, if you're running Windows, could be downloaded and installed — and would probably contain Windows malware. You're safe, of course.

As for Javascript pop-ups, they can't be avoided unless you turn off Javascript; but I'd seriously question the trust-worthiness of a site that allowed advertisers to run random Javascript crap like that.

frankthetank966
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 21, 2007, 11:07 AM

I get that one cbssportsline.come I do not think it has anything to do with AD-AWARE.
 16 GB 2nd Generation Black iPod Touch w/Contour Showcase
 White Core 2 Duo Macbook with: 2.0 GHz/1 GB Ram/80 GB Hard Drive

JoshuaZ  (op)
Professional Poster
Mar 21, 2007, 12:20 PM

Originally Posted by CaptainHaddock View Post
That's just a Javascript alert() box. Any web page can generate one. I imagine if you click "ok", it'll do a web-redirect to a Windows program which, if you're running Windows, could be downloaded and installed — and would probably contain Windows malware. You're safe, of course.

As for Javascript pop-ups, they can't be avoided unless you turn off Javascript; but I'd seriously question the trust-worthiness of a site that allowed advertisers to run random Javascript crap like that.
I wondered... and it happens on random sites. Maybe the sites don't know its happening...

oh, and CaptainHaddock... I hear theres a cool new Robot Museum that opened in your city.... Something I really must see sometime.

TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 21, 2007, 12:34 PM

The pop-up blocker in Safari blocks pop-up windows. What you are getting here is a JavaScript dialog. That's something different and not blocked by the pop-up blocker. A JavaScript dialog can say anything. For an example paste the following text into the URL field of your web-browser and press return:

javascript:alert("Now buy something or I delete your hard disk!")

Usually this is used by websites to dialog with the user, like notifying that new private messages are available or asking whether it is all right to delete selected messages etc. Sometimes this is abused by advertisement, often with a scary message like in your case. Some people who don't realize this is something a web-site can randomly display will believe this is an official system message might then go do the "recommended" thing and buy the crap. I have seen those ads on MacNN as well. They are put there by the ad server without the site's knowledge. Some sites who don't care so much about their users might not put them out of the ad rotation as quickly. MacNN seems to have dealt with the issue well since I haven't had one here in a long time.

Anyway, that dialog is not "adware" since it isn't software that is installed on your computer.

JKT
Professional Poster
Mar 21, 2007, 05:17 PM

The simple solution to this would be for Apple to include an option in Safari that would allow you to choose to block JS alerts from domains that are not the same as the page you are visiting (assuming that is a feasible piece of coding to achieve).

frdmfghtr
Senior User
Mar 21, 2007, 06:43 PM

Another option would be to use Firefox with the NoScript plugin.

Are there any similar options for Safari (plugins, I mean)?

CaptainHaddock
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 22, 2007, 03:20 AM

I bet if Javascript alert blocking was requested through the Safari/Webkit bug reporter, Apple would implement it.

Originally Posted by JoshuaZ View Post
oh, and CaptainHaddock... I hear theres a cool new Robot Museum that opened in your city.... Something I really must see sometime.
Don't let the name fool you, it's a store, not a museum, although they occasionally (I think) might have a special display or feature from time to time. They do have some neat stuff, though, like a big Lego Mindstorms area.

Forum Links
Forum Rules