Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Power Mac upgrade help

Power Mac upgrade help
rduffy123
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 12, 2007, 01:41 PM

Can you guys let me know what I can upgrade to, or is it even worth it? I would like to keep this thing going as it isnt that old and can still run all the programs I use.
Powermac g4
450mhz 2 processors
768mb ram pc1000-2225
40gb ata100

Any good cheap websites for these parts would be appreciated too.

Subaru_Nation555
Nov 12, 2007, 02:02 PM

2.2GHz MacBook Pro

bowwowman
Mac Elite
Nov 15, 2007, 07:31 AM

Originally Posted by rduffy123 View Post
Any good cheap websites for these parts would be appreciated too.
depends on your definition of cheap

the most cost-effective upgrades you could do is:

A) maxDAram, to 2GB (4x 512)
B) Big (up to 128GB) and fast 7200rpm/8 or 16mb cache Hard drive. or for a bit more $$, get an SATA controller card + drives for a fairly significant speed boost as well as eliminating the 128GB size limit of the onboard controller......

You could get cpu upgrades for that machine, all the way up to 2GHZ, BUT that will cost you ~$300-400, which is way more than that machine is worth

And yes, it would be faster, but only to a point, since the front side bus speed would still be the limiting factor in any speed increase.......

of course if you plan to keep that machine for a long, long time, then you might consider a cpu upgrade as cost effective, but thats a BIG if
Personally I find it hilarious that you have the hots for my gramma. Especially seeins how she is 3x your age, and makes your Brittney-Spears-wannabe 30-something wife look like a rag doll who went thru WWIII with a burning stick of dynamite up her a** :)

SierraDragon
Mac Elite
Nov 15, 2007, 03:17 PM

Originally Posted by rduffy123 View Post
...it isnt that old and can still run all the programs I use.
Max RAM makes sense since the G4 still runs what you are using. Beyond that save your money for a MacIntel box when the G4 dies or becomes too obsolete. Add hard drive capacity via external hard drives (Firewire 400 + Firewire 800 connectivity choices) so you can also use it well on your next box.

One of my computers is a DP 1.0 GHzG4. Note that your G4 is "that old." G4, G5, now second generation MacIntel, a huge change in the world of personal computers.

-Allen Wicks

unixfool
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 17, 2007, 01:37 AM

Some people consider 486s old. IMO, as long as the G4 can serve files (no matter the method) it isn't old. I've quite a few systems that are older than a G4 dual proc that are actually slower. Those machines do have very practical uses. One is an OpenBSD machine that is an internal Snort sensor. One is a FreeBSD machine (a dual proc Dell workstation) that serves database content. One is a Celeron 500MHz CPU that has 5 NICs that I'm using to conduct security projects.

One person's old machine is another person's treasure...
:) unixfool :)
http://www.unixfool.com
_____
iMac 27" 3.06GHz C2D | White MB CD 2.0GHz, 2GB RAM, 80GB HDD | Graphite PMac G4 500MHzx2, 1GB RAM, 100GB HDD | White iPhone 3G 16GB | Black iPhone 3GS 32GB

Forum Links
Forum Rules