Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Gaming > can i play wow game on Mac?

can i play wow game on Mac?
narutokango
Banned
Oct 30, 2007, 02:11 PM

if i can, which mac can run smoothly world of warcraft?

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Oct 30, 2007, 02:38 PM

Yes, you can.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

G Barnett
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 1, 2007, 02:57 PM

Only ones I'd avoid for playing WoW are the older MacBooks (the MacBook Pro systems are fine, just to be clear). Heck, I played for the longest time on a 2001-vintage Digital Audio G4 system -- upgraded somewhat, yes, but still very playable. All recent iMacs (since 2005 and probably earlier) should be more than capable.

ApeInTheShell
Senior User
Nov 12, 2007, 01:26 PM

Don't listen to that guy. Either the Macbook or Mac Mini will do fine for your WOW needs. It will be the world of walking until you hit 40 no more how fast the Mac is.
Now if you have the budget for an iMac, get your hands on a 20" iMac and that will be just great. If you are made of money get the 24" iMac or the Macbook Pro. If you are a "power user" than its the Mac Pro.

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Nov 13, 2007, 07:14 PM

Originally Posted by ApeInTheShell View Post
Don't listen to that guy. Either the Macbook or Mac Mini will do fine for your WOW needs. It will be the world of walking until you hit 40 no more how fast the Mac is.
Now if you have the budget for an iMac, get your hands on a 20" iMac and that will be just great. If you are made of money get the 24" iMac or the Macbook Pro. If you are a "power user" than its the Mac Pro.
No way. I tried it on a newer mini and it was a joke, SSC ad TK were completely unplayable (at 1280x1024). Even solo quests were painful at anything over 1024x768. The integrated Intel video is horrible for any type of gaming other than the most casual, and almost no one who plays an MMO is "casual".

Listen, either go with an new iMac, Macbook Pro, or Mac Pro. If those are out of your budget, build a cheap PC for $500.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

Aegis
Forum Regular
Nov 14, 2007, 06:28 PM

Agreed. WoW on a Macbook will only get you ~15fps in uncrowded areas.

Block8
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 15, 2007, 09:09 AM

I found it ran quite nicely on my Macbook. Worth installing as a second setup for when you want to play in front of the TV.

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Nov 15, 2007, 09:28 AM

Originally Posted by Shaddim View Post
If those are out of your budget, build a cheap PC for $500.
Quoted for truth.

StrengthDesign
Banned
Nov 15, 2007, 09:10 PM

Originally Posted by narutokango View Post
if i can, which mac can run smoothly world of warcraft?
no, because you can't speaky the english.

Ausious
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 15, 2007, 10:30 PM

Aye, the Macs are built not for Windows activities.

Don't you see, totally different species aren't they?

Look, if you still would want to stick with a Mac try out playing (Play Games - Free Online Games, Free Downloadable Games at Shockwave) or Flash games.

It's just a tip. If you rather avoid that, then get another PC that has a purpose for Windows Games.
Wishlist: Apple Powerbook G4 15"

StrengthDesign
Banned
Nov 16, 2007, 05:04 AM

dude my imac plays any game I throw at it just fine. Don't hate on mac gaming just because you bought something with a POS integrated graphics card.

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Nov 16, 2007, 05:46 PM

Originally Posted by Ausious View Post
Aye, the Macs are built not for Windows activities.

Don't you see, totally different species aren't they?

Look, if you still would want to stick with a Mac try out playing (Play Games - Free Online Games, Free Downloadable Games at Shockwave) or Flash games.

It's just a tip. If you rather avoid that, then get another PC that has a purpose for Windows Games.
The new iMacs are fine for playing any game out there, just throw XP on them and they play as well as any PC. Plus, you get the added advantage of being able to enjoy Leopard when you aren't gaming.

My gripe is with the integrated Intel video on low-end machines.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

billybob128
Senior User
Nov 21, 2007, 06:02 PM

i advise strongly against any of the laptop lineup's cause if you end up playing an average of 10hrs per week then after a while your laptop will die on you. mine is at that point at the moment 1year and a few months of WoW have nearly killed it

MacbookPro dual 2Ghz 1GB Ram 128 Graphics

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Nov 21, 2007, 06:43 PM

How on earth is playing WOW going to kill a computer? I use my laptop way more than 10 hours a week and it's survived for years.
( Last edited by Chuckit; Nov 21, 2007 at 06:54 PM. )
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Nov 22, 2007, 06:33 PM

Yeah, that's really odd, one of my friends has been playing WoW on his Powerbook for well over 2 years and it's been fine.
- Thomas Paine

silver
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 22, 2007, 08:28 PM

Been playing Helgate, COD 4, and Crysis(albeit a little slow) in XP on my MBP in my spare time the rest is spent working with particles in Realflow.
Now after all this use of my MBP. I'm not seeing anything bad, no slowdowns and my hard drive is fine. How can a game kill your computer? I don't get it.
 MBP 17" 2.16ghz, ATI x1600 256, 100GBHD, 2GB ram, 23"AppleLCD

billybob128
Senior User
Nov 28, 2007, 06:01 PM

out of the two macs that im in contact with one has died and the other isnt far off. My friend has blown out his graphics card its a 17" powerbook about 2 years old now and was in good condition when he bough it a bout 8 months ago. mine (15" mcbook pro) has in a year picked up about 100days played time in WoW a fair bit leveling my first char and the rest spent in dungeons and raids.

The hinge at the back by the fan outlet has become very scorched from the heat - at all time it has been in an iCurve whilst playing. and more recently i i have noticed frequent crashes (~2 a week) with some KP's and a few where the screen has just gone nuts - yellow and green rectangles across the screen completly covering any previous tasks.

That is how WoW can ruin a laptop - maybe some will last longer but bases on the possibility of WoW ruining a £1000+ machine after a year i would not and could not use or suggest a laptop for heavy gaming.

MacbookPro dual 2Ghz 1GB Ram 128 Graphics

beez1717
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 15, 2007, 05:40 PM

It seems to make no sense to me that my 2.2 GHZ macbook pro with ony 128 vram has higher framerates when playing with identical video settings in the exact same area with the same wireless connection as my friend with a 2.4 GHZ macbook with 256 vram.... We were even running the exact same OS for a while: 10.4.1.1. The gap only marginally wider when I got 10.5 and he didn't....

This leads me to believe 3 things: if you don't mind 15 FPS then you can install the game on a Mac Mini, that I might want to move the graphics down a notch so that I can get about 60 FPS in crowded areas. and that you should be more worried about your internet connection: if it is too slow, then your computer will say that you have around 15 FPS no matter what, because the lag is so bad...

harbinger75
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 9, 2008, 06:58 PM

out of the two macs that im in contact with one has died and the other isnt far off. My friend has blown out his graphics card its a 17" powerbook about 2 years old now and was in good condition when he bough it a bout 8 months ago. mine (15" mcbook pro) has in a year picked up about 100days played time in WoW a fair bit leveling my first char and the rest spent in dungeons and raids.

The hinge at the back by the fan outlet has become very scorched from the heat - at all time it has been in an iCurve whilst playing. and more recently i i have noticed frequent crashes (~2 a week) with some KP's and a few where the screen has just gone nuts - yellow and green rectangles across the screen completly covering any previous tasks.

That is how WoW can ruin a laptop - maybe some will last longer but bases on the possibility of WoW ruining a £1000+ machine after a year i would not and could not use or suggest a laptop for heavy gaming.
I hate to tell you this, but gaming won't wear out a computer any more than any information-intensive program will. You can run Photoshop heavily for extended periods of time, and the wear on the parts inside ANY computer will be similar to playing a game.

It has nothing to do with gaming...it has EVERYTHING to do with how processor-intensive ANY application is. Period. The higher the processor and RAM demands, the hotter things run and the "quicker" you will wear out parts (fans, etc.). I've had several laptops over the years, and gamed on every one of them heavily. They all lasted me a couple or more years and then I sold them on eBay for money to upgrade, and they were all in perfect condition.

Just because people game on computers does not mean that alone is causing their rigs to disintegrate.
the geek source
Twitter: @thegeeksource

erniesthings
Forum Regular
Jan 29, 2008, 02:57 PM

Currently playing WoW on an iBook G4 1gz. I don't have much to complain about, crowded areas near auction houses and bank have some slow downs, but every where else is fine. I don't raid, so I can't tell you about those areas.

Question though.

The iBook has 32mb dedicated graphics. Will the shared graphics memory give me the same performance that I get now. I assume the faster processor will help there?

Thanks

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Jan 29, 2008, 03:19 PM

Originally Posted by StrengthDesign View Post
no, because you can't speaky the english.
Maybe English isn't his native language, numbnuts.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

Full-Auto
Forum Regular
Feb 2, 2008, 10:52 AM

Sorry for the noob question (I'm a Mac noob), but what's the preferred method of running WoW on a Mac? I have a 2.8ghz Extreme 24" iMac. Do you run it in Parallels or do you guys use Boot Camp? I have both solutions setup on my Mac.

voodoo
Posting Junkie
Feb 2, 2008, 12:04 PM

Originally Posted by Full-Auto View Post
Sorry for the noob question (I'm a Mac noob), but what's the preferred method of running WoW on a Mac? I have a 2.8ghz Extreme 24" iMac. Do you run it in Parallels or do you guys use Boot Camp? I have both solutions setup on my Mac.
Neither, just install the Mac version. It's included on the DVD. Runs just fine.

On topic: All intel iMacs run WoW just fine, excepting the 17" iMacs with the crappy GMA950 which fortunately has been discontinued in iMacs.
I could take Sean Connery in a fight... I could definitely take him.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Feb 2, 2008, 03:14 PM

The Mac version of WOW is actually better than the PC version in a few ways. One caveat, though: I wouldn't turn on the full-screen glow effect. There's a longstanding bug in the Mac version that murders framerates when that's on.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

mr. burns
Senior User
Feb 2, 2008, 03:19 PM

Originally Posted by Chuckit View Post
The Mac version of WOW is actually better than the PC version in a few ways. One caveat, though: I wouldn't turn on the full-screen glow effect. There's a longstanding bug in the Mac version that murders framerates when that's on.
have they fixed the issues with leopard yet? you are right, when the game is being played in tiger but when i played on leopard i was getting absolutely horrible frame rates on my mac ppro with x1900xt. fullscreen glow wasn't a problem at all in tiger. i had it on and was getting 75fps in AV, 100+ in dungeons. start playing in leopard and it cut my frame rate in half. soon as a centaur in the barrens started casting a thundercloud, i was in the 20-30 fps range. pretty sad.

not all who wander are lost.

harbinger75
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 2, 2008, 06:53 PM

have they fixed the issues with leopard yet? you are right, when the game is being played in tiger but when i played on leopard i was getting absolutely horrible frame rates on my mac ppro with x1900xt. fullscreen glow wasn't a problem at all in tiger. i had it on and was getting 75fps in AV, 100+ in dungeons. start playing in leopard and it cut my frame rate in half. soon as a centaur in the barrens started casting a thundercloud, i was in the 20-30 fps range. pretty
No, the last time I read the Blizzard forums it was identified but an update hadn't been announced or released. Turning off the full screen glow was suggested as the temporary fix.
the geek source
Twitter: @thegeeksource

Forum Links
Forum Rules