Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > new mac pro and old cinema display

new mac pro and old cinema display
billybob128
Senior User
Jan 13, 2008, 09:32 AM

hey guys, i'm looking into getting a new Macpro with the standard ATI Radeon HD 2600 XT graphics card . My question is i have an old 20 inch cinema display (model A1038) that i got with my first G5 back when they were brand new, will i need a connector to plug it into the new graphics cards or will it just go straight into the graphics card of the macpro?

thanks in advance.

MacbookPro dual 2Ghz 1GB Ram 128 Graphics

Foxdog175
Forum Regular
Jan 13, 2008, 11:32 AM

If it's ADC, you'll likely need an ADC -> DVI adapter. The most popular one is one that plugs into the wall which also has an external power supply. It runs $99 from Apple. Check with your local Apple store.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Jan 13, 2008, 12:31 PM

You need this adapter.

The price of the adapter ($90) may exceed the price difference between the resale value of your display and the price of a new 20" display.
( Last edited by mduell; Jan 13, 2008 at 12:40 PM. )

SierraDragon
Mac Elite
Jan 13, 2008, 02:10 PM

Mark's comment makes sense. Unused older displays are less good than more modern ones in addition to the fact that display quality deteriorates with use. Even a non-ADC more modern display IMO may be a better choice.

-Allen Wicks

billybob128  (op)
Senior User
Jan 14, 2008, 08:45 AM

Thanks for the help guys, i already have a DVI-ADC connector that i used to plug my screen into my macbook pro.

i understand what you guys are saying about getting a new screen and that been potentialy a lot better, however at the moment i can afford only the tower, so it will take time for me to build up some more cash to upgrade the screen, and as it is an old screen that even on ebay would not sell to well i may as well just use it until i completly kill it.

MacbookPro dual 2Ghz 1GB Ram 128 Graphics

Forum Links
Forum Rules