Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > file corruption? ipod touch

file corruption? ipod touch
zero1207
Feb 5, 2008, 01:23 AM

I was shuffling through my music on my ipod touch (with January software upgrade) when I noticed that more than a few of my songs weren't complete. Some would end after half of the song played, and others would only get five seconds into the song before proceeding to the next track. I just got an external HD for my computer so my first thought was "Crap! I corrupted all of my music files." When I got on my computer and checked them all of the songs played fine, so that was reassuring. Anyways, I deleted all the songs off the ipod and added them again, same songs were still corrupt. Right now I'm restoring the ipod hoping that that might fix the problem. My ipod is basically completely filled with music, so I don't know how many have problems, but enough of them for me to notice when left on random for about 5 hours. If any of you have had similar problems what did you do? Any ideas on where to go next if this restore doesn't work? Thanks for any help.

zero1207  (op)
Feb 5, 2008, 02:50 AM

update: The ipod touch restore didn't help things. Same songs aren't playing back properly. I also have an older ipod nano and I downloaded some of the same songs onto it and it plays them perfectly, so I think thats pretty conclusive evidence that the ipod touch is the problem. Any ideas other than calling Apple? I don't mind calling them but I'd rather just fix it on my own if its something simple.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Feb 5, 2008, 11:40 AM

I had this problem with my iPod mini several times, but a restore always fixed it. I think it might be time to call Apple, unless anyone else has an idea.

zero1207  (op)
Feb 6, 2008, 04:57 PM

update: So I called apple and my situation didn't get fixed, but I have a newfound respect for their customer service. The representative was very polite, frank, and dealt with the whole situation very well. Also, I had read on apple's website where the ipod touch has 90 days of complimentary phone support (which I was out of), but he said that had changed to one year . Anyway, I told the representative everything I had done and he searched around for a bit trying to figure out my problem but to no avail. He said I might try a restore one more time but that it probably won't help anything since I've already tried that. He suggested I take it in for repairs or replacement to a local apple store. I tried the restore and the the first two times I tried to connect it to my computer it gave me an error that said "iTunes could not connect to the iPhone "" because the pairing record is missing". I have an ipod touch, not an iPhone, but oh well. I connected my older nano and it synced perfectly. I tried the ipod touch about ten minutes later and it worked. I added only one song that I had been having trouble with, and the problem was still there, so it looks like I'll be making an appt with the apple store for this weekend. The representative said they'll either send it in for repairs (which is free) or they'll replace it (free). If they do decide to replace it, what do you think my chances are for 1) getting my money back for the january software update I payed for that marked the onset of these problems, and 2) paying the difference to upgrade to the 32GB touch?

Forum Links
Forum Rules