Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > External HD RAID Question

External HD RAID Question
JoshuaZ
Professional Poster
Feb 5, 2008, 10:41 AM

I just got a Metal Gear Box Galaxy RAID external 1 TB hard drive. (About time, my old drive was acting flaky) Inside the case are two 500 gig hard drives. Currently I have the system in a RAID 0 setup.

So here my problem. So it came formatted in FAT 32, but I want to format it in Mac OS Extended. Problem is I can't. In fact ever time I do try and format it in Mac OS Extended, Dic Utility it gives me an error.

Now if I setup my case so it has both drives show up independently I can can format both of them in Mac OS Extended. But switching it back to RAID 0 causes the same problems as before.

Any ideas? Should I just not worry about it and leave it in FAT?

JoshuaZ  (op)
Professional Poster
Feb 5, 2008, 10:47 AM

Ok, oddly, after fussing with this thing off and on all evening, as soon as I posted this I fixed the problem.

BTW, its a good drive. FW 800, FW 400, USB 2.0. The only downside is that the fan runs all the time. And may be loud for some people. I'll most certainly be turning it of before bed every night.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Feb 5, 2008, 10:50 AM

I'm glad you figured out the problem, but I'd strongly advise against not leaving it in a RAID-0 setup, unless you have a backup of all of this data or this data is dispensable.

JoshuaZ  (op)
Professional Poster
Feb 6, 2008, 07:40 AM

Why exactly should I not keep it in RAID 0? Would it be better to have it show up as two separate drives?

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Feb 6, 2008, 11:09 AM

Joshua: if data integrity is your top priority, it would be better to mirror these two drives via RAID 1. If the data is not that important to you and you just want as much space as possible to dump stuff to, RAID 0 would be best.

JoshuaZ  (op)
Professional Poster
Feb 6, 2008, 11:34 AM

I did some googleing earlier and read up on RAID setups, being unschooled in these areas. For the 1 TB, 2 x 500 GBs, I'm not worried about data. Its just storage for music, movies, tv shows, and the occasional video project.

I was using 2 x 250 gigs externals for all my storage needs. One was near death (actually I moved my data over in the nick of time), so I threw the drive out when I got the new 1TB setup. The other drive is in working order still so I'm using it in its original external case just for backups. Plug it in once a day and use time machine. That kind of thing.

Thanks for your help Besson3c.

(I went to my local discount computer store tonight and got an old 40 gig hd from them and stuck it in the other case. I'm not using it in conjunction with my neighbor's old 12in Powerbook which has a busted internal hard drive. I'll eventually stick it under my TV for some media center goodness. Something I can leave on in the other room torrenting all night long. Saves my other drives wear and tear as well.)

Forum Links
Forum Rules