Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > 2008 iMac Revisions?

2008 iMac Revisions? (Page 2)
BoingoBongo
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 2, 2008, 06:42 PM

Yeah, they made such a big deal about it being all "aluminum and glass" that I doubt they'll get rid of the glass.

This is unfortunate. I really like the new iMacs otherwise, and I was going to buy one despite the glossy screen, but I ended up using someone's glossy computer for a day last week, and I would definitely not buy a glossy iMac now. I jut couldn't stand it.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Mar 3, 2008, 04:45 AM

Originally Posted by MortonH View Post
But if the ATI cards are cr@p, why stick with them?
I wouldn't call them outright crap, but there is definitely quite some room for improvement.

Apple balaces their load because if they go all Nvidia ATI will have no more incentive to develop for Macs. That in consequence would mean Apple would be tied to Nvidia forever. It's never a good idea to put all your eggs in one basket and Apple knows that.

P
Mar 3, 2008, 06:09 AM

Considering the result ATi showed last time - and this was before the launch of the 3850/3870 chips - I think that they are making a quite a bit of money on their new chips. They're running very cool - implying a good yield - and are very small, made on a 55 nm process, so you fit lots of them on a wafer. Their problem is the lack of a higher-end product. The 3850 and 3870 are not bad though - a mobile version of those in the iMac would be awesome. Still think that a 3650 is the most likely - a chip that runs cools and has lots of hardware acceleration for movies is more Apple's style.

Also note that the 8800 GTX - a chip that is now a year and a half old - has completely distorted the picture. Nothing else could match it - not of the same generation (2900 XT, nVidia's own midrange 8600 GTS) and not even of the next generation (8800 GT is a newer generation chip). Exclude the 8800 GTX, and we have a fairly even progression of GPU power.

CheesePuff
Professional Poster
Mar 4, 2008, 09:34 AM

Looks like no new iMacs today. They usually send out the press release and update the online store between 5:00 AM and 5:30 AM PST. Ahh well.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Mar 4, 2008, 11:46 AM

This was actually the very first Tuesday since MWSF without an announcement from Apple.

adamwaring
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 4, 2008, 01:51 PM

Originally Posted by Simon View Post
This was actually the very first Tuesday since MWSF without an announcement from Apple.
Perhaps they're counting the weeks in prime numbers... 1, 2, 3, 5, 7, 11 etc...

Still reckon I'd wait a wee bit longer. According the the Mac Rumours buyers guide thing, there's historically been an iMac update every 205 days, and it's now been 210 days since the last one...

JonLF
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 5, 2008, 01:21 AM

So there was no announcement today and there has been plenty of heresay about whether or not we can expect some sort of bump any time soon. Again, I realize we are beyond average cycle length, but I am still hesistant to buy because I don't want to miss a bump by three weeks (like I did with my iBook).

Secondly, I am wondering if anyone can give me an educated perspective on running WoW. My current desktop is an eMac with 512mb and a whopping 64 of VRAM. If I go with the 20" with 2gb and the 256, will I be happy? Furthermore, is the 24" worth the extra $300 all else considered?

Thanks.

Pierre B.
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 5, 2008, 05:38 AM

Originally Posted by P View Post
Still think that a 3650 is the most likely - a chip that runs cools and has lots of hardware acceleration for movies is more Apple's style.
Not sure if I follow you... Apple never used the latent video decoding power of the GPU to improve the user experience (maybe in the early G3 days). And there is no indication that it will do so anytime soon. But some solution has to be found because with the end of the high definition war, the moment when people will ask for HD on portables (and manufacturers will have to answer) is close now. But HD decoding requires ludicrous amounts of CPU and I don't know at which point the GPU can help in this on a portable.

What happened to this media-dedicated-(non-GPU)-co-processor rumor?

MacosNerd
Professional Poster
Mar 5, 2008, 08:57 AM

I'm kind of on the fence of getting one. I love my MBP, but I think an iMac would help balance out my needs. Of course what simon said about this fall gives me a little more pause. Like sir castor, I don't have the $$$ yet so I have the luxury of waiting since I cannot afford one yet. Unlike sir castor, my wife has not blessed my intentions either

HiDDeN
Mar 5, 2008, 04:03 PM

Hows the average performance on iMac's? I'm on the market for a new mac, just can't decide between an iMac or Mac Pro?
Budget is leaning towards the iMac but I love performance.
Intel chips need plenty of cooling for optimal performance and I just don't see how an iMac is really capable of getting the Intel the cooling it needs for optimal performance.

Professional Poster
Mar 5, 2008, 04:06 PM

iMac is great. It really depends on what you do, but I wouldn't recommend a Mac Pro over an iMac to anyone who doesn't do heavy duty video or image processing.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Mar 5, 2008, 10:48 PM

Originally Posted by JonLF View Post
Secondly, I am wondering if anyone can give me an educated perspective on running WoW. My current desktop is an eMac with 512mb and a whopping 64 of VRAM. If I go with the 20" with 2gb and the 256, will I be happy? Furthermore, is the 24" worth the extra $300 all else considered?
For the umpteenth time, it's not about the VRAM, it's about the GPU.
ATi Radeon Mobility HD2400/2600 in the iMacs should play WoW acceptably.

http://www.barefeats.com/image07/imal5_wow.gif
http://www.barefeats.com/image07/imal_wow.gif

Full-Auto
Forum Regular
Mar 6, 2008, 01:17 AM

I have an iMac 2.8ghz with 4gig of RAM and a HD2006 GPU... and WoW plays very well on it. No complaints at all... I also play BF2 with it on my XP partition and love it.

JonLF
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 6, 2008, 01:49 AM

I was merely offering 64mb as evidence of the congruency of the GPU. The graphics (one way or another) are integrated, so switching to a dedicated unit will certainly have its perks, VRAM, GPU, or otherwise.

P
Mar 6, 2008, 04:44 AM

No eMac has integrated graphics - they're just old. You can find out exactly how old by looking in System Profiler. It's safe to say that whatever the new iMacs get, it will be a huge boost in graphics performance compared to that.

P
Mar 6, 2008, 04:46 AM

Originally Posted by HiDDeN View Post
Intel chips need plenty of cooling for optimal performance and I just don't see how an iMac is really capable of getting the Intel the cooling it needs for optimal performance.
iMacs use mobile chips, and even regular desktop Intel chips are nowhere near as powerhungry and hot as they used to be back in the Netburst days. Sure, they're no G3s, but they're not throttling in an iMac - you're getting the advertised speed.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Mar 6, 2008, 04:59 AM

Originally Posted by HiDDeN View Post
Cooling is taken care of by using mobile CPUs (Merom and soon Penryn) rather than desktop (Yorkfield) or workstation/server parts (Harpertown). And in terms of those mobile C2Ds the iMac is doing great. It's getting the fastest Meroms available due to its thermal design (metal case, larger volume, more air flow). The iMac has a BTO option for Merom XE. That's something the MBPs didn't get.

A lot of geeks are hesitant when it comes to the iMac. And I understand the built-in screen and graphics make it essentially non-upgradeable. OTOH they are great value and chances are when you outgrow the internal 24" screen, you will have also outgrown Merom/Penryn or the GPU.

Anyway, in my experience the people who actually need the MP know exactly why. They're people who need specific PCI cards, run 4-disk RAIDs, attach four screens to their computers, run entirely CPU-limited codes, etc. If you're not so sure which one you need, chances are you'll be fine with an iMac. Personally, if I were in the market for a desktop for work right now I'd get a MP. But if I were on a budget and buying a Mac for use at home I would no doubt get the iMac instead.

mrtew
Professional Poster
Mar 11, 2008, 12:06 AM

The Apple store is down right now for updating! I think the new iMac is coming out RIGHT NOW! (and I'm going to get it!)

I love the U.S., but we need some time apart.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Mar 11, 2008, 12:57 AM

Don't hold your breath.

-t

Simon
Posting Junkie
Mar 11, 2008, 03:44 AM

RIGHT NOW was four hours ago. And still no new iMac. Looks like you're gonna have to wait some more.

Last Tuesday was the first one since MWSF without any new intro/announcement from Apple. But that could be explained by the SDK event on Thursday.

Pierre B.
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 11, 2008, 05:04 AM

Originally Posted by mrtew View Post
The Apple store is down right now for updating! I think the new iMac is coming out RIGHT NOW! (and I'm going to get it!)
It is just the US store down, not the european ones. So don't expect an iMac update today. Sorry.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Mar 11, 2008, 05:18 AM

Originally Posted by Pierre B. View Post
It is just the US store down, not the european ones. So don't expect an iMac update today. Sorry.
It's still not entirely out of the question. If the US and international Apple Stores go down between noon and about 2pm UTC that would indicate something's coming today. That's still two to four hours away.

Pierre B.
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 11, 2008, 06:15 AM

Originally Posted by Simon View Post
It's still not entirely out of the question. If the US and international Apple Stores go down between noon and about 2pm UTC that would indicate something's coming today. That's still two to four hours away.
True, but the problem here is of "statistical" nature: I cannot remember for many years now even one time that first the US and then the european stores went down before a computer update. It is always the converse. The US goes down while the others are up when there is something iPod/software/US-related or just maintenance.

mrtew
Professional Poster
Mar 11, 2008, 06:39 AM

Cool then it must be the new iMacphone!!! I can't wait! Oh wait, Mexico, and England and Austrailia and Sweeden are down! It's the biggest iMac update ever! Oh, wait the US store is back up.... I don't see anything new at all anywhere. What did they do?

Pierre B.
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 11, 2008, 07:07 AM

Cool then it must be the new iMacphone!!! I can't wait! Oh wait, Mexico, and England and Austrailia and Sweeden are down! It's the biggest iMac update ever! Oh, wait the US store is back up.... I don't see anything new at all anywhere. What did they do?
The US store says new price for the iPod shuffle. But it is really new or it was there before? Because it says new MB/MBP too.

Otherwise it could just be maintenance for tomorrow.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Mar 11, 2008, 08:44 AM

That's already been there for a while.

P
Mar 11, 2008, 12:59 PM

I think the Swedish prices may have inched downwards slightly. They're still ripping us off, considering the low dollar, but they seems to be ripping us off a little less than they used to.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Mar 11, 2008, 02:00 PM

I hope nobody held their breath

-t

m4m
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 13, 2008, 11:07 PM

Does anyone know how much prices have dropped for the most recently outdated model when a revision is made?

I ask, because I am looking at the refurbished current 24" model for $1500 but I'll wait for the update if that means it'll get cheaper by $100.
Those not busy being born are busy dying. -Bob Dylan

mduell
Posting Junkie
Mar 14, 2008, 06:04 PM

Apple stops selling them new, but resellers usually drop them by $100 or more and the refurbs also drop by $100 or more.

Betox
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 15, 2008, 03:13 PM

Are we going to have to wait to the WWDC in June to see the updates!!?
--
QuickSilver 800 Mhz / iBook 500 Mhz / Original 5GB iPod / iPod Shuffle 512 / Mac OS X 10.4 Tiger >> And it IS snappy!

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Mar 15, 2008, 09:19 PM

Originally Posted by mduell View Post
Apple stops selling them new, but resellers usually drop them by $100 or more and the refurbs also drop by $100 or more.
Yes, not enough to be make it worth waiting 4 months...

-t

Betox
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 6, 2008, 11:45 PM

Dammit!! Apple is taking too long to do this Revisions: Days Since Update > 244 (Avg = 205)
--
QuickSilver 800 Mhz / iBook 500 Mhz / Original 5GB iPod / iPod Shuffle 512 / Mac OS X 10.4 Tiger >> And it IS snappy!

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Apr 7, 2008, 02:42 AM

Originally Posted by Betox View Post
Dammit!! Apple is taking too long to do this Revisions: Days Since Update > 244 (Avg = 205)
I'm glad I didn't wait.

Pulled the trigger beginning of February, and I'm glad I did. Right timing with OS 10.5.2 as well.

-t

mrtew
Professional Poster
Apr 7, 2008, 05:45 AM

I ordered mine on Friday so the new one will probably be announced the day after I open the box.

Betox
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 7, 2008, 12:34 PM

I ordered mine on Friday so the new one will probably be announced the day after I open the box.
Typical!!!
--

Krusty
Professional Poster
Apr 8, 2008, 11:27 PM

Of course it won't .... it will be announced 2 weeks + 1 day, so that you can no longer return it for the newer model :-)

BoulderDash
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 15, 2008, 07:41 PM

Lord,
Let's go, 2008 iMac revision... let's go!

BD

SirCastor
Professional Poster
Apr 15, 2008, 07:49 PM

I think that we're looking at WWDC...
2008 iMac 3.06 Ghz, 2GB Memory, GeForce 8800, 500GB HD, SuperDrive
8gb iPhone on Tmobile

zerostar
Mac Elite
Apr 16, 2008, 10:15 PM

I would get it now, its SUCH a great machine, I sold a dual 2.5G5 (loaded) for almost the same price as my new 24" 2.4GHz iMac and the iMac EASILY kicks the G5s butt in everything I have tried so-far.

I ordered from PowerMax Computers | Experts in Used Macs, New Macs, Refurbished Macs and Mac Accessories and they have AWESOME customer service, I wound up getting and open-box for $1700 and it was PERFECT in every way. I did a trade-in with them and I am going to wind up only spending $200 or so when all is said and done. I did upgrade the RAM to 4GB and that was only $65 on newegg, that is a must buy for any semi-power user

The 24" is a huge setp-up from my older 20" display (apple cinema aluminum one) in clarity, color and size, I do graphic design/web and video work and think the screen is most excellent and for the price its a dream! Also, I am processing video 3-4X faster than before.

You will not regret it, the only thing I wish is that mine had a 500GB internal, my external is 1TB and I have my 500GB from my tower, maybe one day I will try to swap it out, but that will be in a year after my warranty is up.

FINALLY my setup is exactly what I wanted:
Aluminum iMac 2.4GHz C2D 24"
320GB internal - 1TB External - 4GB Ram
Apple Wireless Keyboard (white model) Logitech MX Laser Mouse

p.s. don't even get me started on what a joy VMWare is to setup & run, I will never, ever, boot my old PC again!

P
Apr 17, 2008, 10:56 AM

Some people who are working OS X on generic x86 PCs are reporting that their 3650s are working after installing the 10.5.3 beta.

Betox
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 18, 2008, 09:18 PM

But why buy now, when you can wait till WDC in June to get a better machine for the same price!!!
--

Professional Poster
Apr 18, 2008, 09:36 PM

Exactly... and why buy then when you can get something better in another 6 months?

Betox
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 18, 2008, 11:02 PM

Originally Posted by adamfishercox View Post
Exactly... and why buy then when you can get something better in another 6 months?
2 months is not the same as 6 months... there's a difference!
But it all comes down to the urgency that you have of a new machine, if you can wait the 6 months... better! But if you don't, buy now.
--

Forum Links
Forum Rules