Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Travel with iMac: Carry on or check in?

Travel with iMac: Carry on or check in?
Betox
Dedicated MacNNer
May 5, 2008, 02:08 PM

I will be getting a new 20-inch iMac for my job in Chicago in a few weeks and I'll like to take it back to home in Dominican Republic with me. I don't want to check it in as luggage because I don't know if it's safe.

What I’m thinking is to buy a descent handbag, take the iMac out of the box, and take it with me as in Carry On bag. My question is: will it fit the upper bag compartments in the plane? Will I have trouble with American Airlines because of the weight?

Suggestions! Thanks guys.
--
QuickSilver 800 Mhz / iBook 500 Mhz / Original 5GB iPod / iPod Shuffle 512 / Mac OS X 10.4 Tiger >> And it IS snappy!

Cold Warrior
May 5, 2008, 02:27 PM

You'd have to find the dimensions of the case/handbag then bounce that off what American allows.
Baggage Allowance

Personally, I'd mail it USPS insured and certified to someone you trust in the D.R.

Betox  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
May 5, 2008, 02:28 PM

By the way, I just saw this iLugger Cases for iMac but they are out question! Too expensive for me.
--
QuickSilver 800 Mhz / iBook 500 Mhz / Original 5GB iPod / iPod Shuffle 512 / Mac OS X 10.4 Tiger >> And it IS snappy!

Betox  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
May 5, 2008, 02:35 PM

Originally Posted by Cold Warrior View Post
You'd have to find the dimensions of the case/handbag then bounce that off what American allows.
Baggage Allowance

Personally, I'd mail it USPS insured and certified to someone you trust in the D.R.
Yes I saw the AA Baggage Allowance page and the iMac it self is exactly the size that they admit, 45 linear inches. But that is without the bag, that will add a couple of inches to that.

Mail it in was my first option, but the rates are insanely hight! Like US $350, in UPS for Chicago - DR.
--

Cold Warrior
May 5, 2008, 02:45 PM

UPS and FedEx are extortionists.

USPS does a better job with full insurance at a much, much lower rate.

Betox  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
May 5, 2008, 03:17 PM

Originally Posted by Cold Warrior View Post
UPS and FedEx are extortionists.

USPS does a better job with full insurance at a much, much lower rate.
It's true, US$ 150 more or less.
But carry on it's cheaper! .. I don't know, but I'll have to decide.
--

Betox  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
May 5, 2008, 11:27 PM

Does any of you has experience traveling with and iMac on a plane?
--

macmad
Mac Enthusiast
May 7, 2008, 08:54 AM

Took a 17" iMac on a flight from Dallas to Germany once, it sat on the floor near my legs in an improvised carry-on bag. No problems.

Simon
Posting Junkie
May 7, 2008, 09:14 AM

I checked in my 17" iMac G4 once from Zurich to Newark and back. No problems. I wouldn't have done it with any box, but the original box and styrofoam are perfect. It's nicely padded so there was no damage done to the unit. Some people recommend turning the box inside out to prevent theft. I didn't bother. If it had been stolen, it would have been insured (and the data was backed up). Everything turned out just fine. And that iMac G4 is still going strong.

Betox  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
May 7, 2008, 11:30 PM

Originally Posted by macmad View Post
Took a 17" iMac on a flight from Dallas to Germany once, it sat on the floor near my legs in an improvised carry-on bag. No problems.
Yep, I think that's what I'm going to do too. Although the new 20 inch iMac it's a little bigger than the old 17 inch; I don't know if they will let me put it in the floor!
--

Chinasaur
Senior User
May 8, 2008, 03:09 PM

Remember, TSA can demand you start up the device and can examine and copy the contents. So, if you have anything on there that you wouldn't want out in the open, check it.

Course then, TSA thieves can get your device.

UPS'ing it sounds like way to go...
iMac - Late 2015 iMac, 32GB RAM
MacBook - 2010 MacBook, 1TB SSD, 16GB RAM

turtle777
Clinically Insane
May 8, 2008, 06:57 PM

You probably didn't know that any electronics in checked bags is NOT insured against damage or loss.

That should limit your choice to sending it or taking it as a carry-on.

-t

Betox  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
May 8, 2008, 10:26 PM

Originally Posted by Chinasaur View Post
Remember, TSA can demand you start up the device and can examine and copy the contents. So, if you have anything on there that you wouldn't want out in the open, check it.

Course then, TSA thieves can get your device.

UPS'ing it sounds like way to go...
Damn! Is that true?
So they could do that with every single laptop that goes thru... and that's a lot!
--

Betox  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
May 8, 2008, 10:29 PM

Originally Posted by turtle777 View Post
You probably didn't know that any electronics in checked bags is NOT insured against damage or loss.

That should limit your choice to sending it or taking it as a carry-on.

-t
Yes I know that... and they also throw things around like if they where basket balls.

I think I'll take my chances taking the thing as carry on...
God help me!!
--

neshawn
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 29, 2008, 10:29 PM

Originally Posted by Betox View Post
Yep, I think that's what I'm going to do too. Although the new 20 inch iMac it's a little bigger than the old 17 inch; I don't know if they will let me put it in the floor!
Betox,
How'd it go carrying on your 20' iMac? Did they let you store it at your feet? I'm thinking of buying one, but am worried about travelling with it.

Forum Links
Forum Rules