Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > MacBook Fans Wont Turn Off

MacBook Fans Wont Turn Off
drnkn_stylz
Senior User
May 13, 2008, 03:03 PM

My MacBook (specs in sig) has a problem with the fans being on constantly. The fans always turn on full blast when I watch flash videos (YouTube), which I understand is a common thing due to crappy Flash coding for Mac. The thing is that the fans will not turn off, even if it's 30 minutes after I have done anything to stress the CPU at all. Also, sometimes while light multitasking (iTunes, Safari, MSN) the fans will kick in on high as well. I ran all system updates, as well as all maintenance tasks through Onyx. Any ideas as to what's going on?
..13" MacBook Pro | 2.53gHz | 4gb RAM | 320gb Seagate Momentus XT | OSX.6.6.. // iPhone 4 32gb

ibook_steve
May 13, 2008, 03:30 PM

As always, check Activity Monitor (organized by %CPU) to see what might be eating up your CPUs and causing the fans to run.

Steve
Celebrating 10 years and 4000 posts on MacNN!

drnkn_stylz  (op)
Senior User
May 13, 2008, 03:33 PM

Thanks I will check that when I get home (on work computer).

Does working with an external monitor and having the lid closed make the machine work hotter?
..13" MacBook Pro | 2.53gHz | 4gb RAM | 320gb Seagate Momentus XT | OSX.6.6.. // iPhone 4 32gb

seanc
Moderator Emeritus
May 13, 2008, 03:42 PM

It should be fine with the lid closed, it sounds like you have a process taking up close to 100% of the CPU thus making it get hot and the fans come on constantly.

drnkn_stylz  (op)
Senior User
May 13, 2008, 06:29 PM

I didn't think so... It's funny because the 'Book never did this until I updated to Leopard. Also it seems to only happen if I am using Safari. I will have to keep my Activity Monitor open while browsing. I am also going to try a browser alternative (Camino?) and see if it helps.

d0GGii
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 19, 2008, 01:06 AM

I'm having the same problem. I don't know if this is normal for all macbook users. It bothers me when the fan starts to blast at full speed while I'm sitting in the classroom.

jamil5454
Mac Elite
May 19, 2008, 03:42 AM

Certain MacBooks are more heat-sensitive than others. Mine, unfortunately, seems to be one of the sensitive ones. It's definitely embarrassing in class when your laptop is loud enough to distract people.

It would be nice to have an "ultra-quiet" power savings mode in Energy Saver that keeps the fans below a reasonably audible level.

Randman
Posting Junkie
May 19, 2008, 04:17 AM

Try SMC fan control.

smcFanControl 2.1.2 - MacUpdate

I use it when playing World of Warcraft as my 17" MPB can hit upward of 94C if not being cooled.

This is a computer-generated message and needs no signature.

d0GGii
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 19, 2008, 12:28 PM

smcFanControl 2.1.2 keeps a minimum fan speed on the machine. Is there a way to set a maximum speed?

If certain macbooks are more heat-sensitive, mine must be ultra-heat-sensitive. The fan would blast out at full speed even when I'm watching quick time video. This is probably the only thing I don't like about my macbook.

Forum Links
Forum Rules