Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > powerbook crashes

powerbook crashes
zero1207
Jul 21, 2008, 04:25 PM

Ok, so I was writing a report in pages 08' and a software update was running in the background. It finished and asked me to restart, rather than doing that I just covered that window up and kept working because it was 1am and this report was due at 8am the next day. I'm running 10.4 by the way. The next thing that happens is the finder bar flashes on and off, all the applications I was running crashed, for some reason the formatting window for the pages application flashes on and off even though pages has already crashed. I needed a new computer anyway so I got a new macbook pro. It's been about two weeks and any time I start the powerbook I get the same symptoms I just described. The OS is completely non-functional, I can't open any windows without them crashing, finder included. I've booted in safe mode and I get the same results. I can boot into a guest user account using safe mode but it's a pretty useless action because I don't know what to do once I'm there. If I can fix the computer that would be great, but I really just want to get my photos off of my internal hard drive. I had documents, movies, music, and emails all backed up but that foresight didn't extend to my photos for some reason. User malfunction. Any ideas on where to go from here? Macbook pro is pretty awesome by the way.

zero1207  (op)
Jul 21, 2008, 04:26 PM

forgot to mention that I also unplugged the a/c adapter and removed the battery, then did a reset by holding down the power button for 10 seconds or so with everything removed. Same problems are still there.

Sherman Homan
Mac Elite
Jul 21, 2008, 04:52 PM

Sounds like your system is hosed.One rule about updates is to do it when nothing else is running. My guess is that you simply need to do an Archive & Install. It is just a bit tedious but your files will be safe and sound. Good luck!

zero1207  (op)
Jul 21, 2008, 05:08 PM

thanks for the quick response and tip. I don't have the install discs with me now but I'll definitely give it a shot once I get home. That's good news because I was afraid it might be some sort of hardware hiccup.

Sherman Homan
Mac Elite
Jul 21, 2008, 06:16 PM

Probably not a hardware issue, although running system updates is a bit of an aerobic workout for your drive. But the fact that it boots and allows Guest access means that your drive and your data is (most likely) fine. You do have a backup device, right?!
( Last edited by Sherman Homan; Jul 21, 2008 at 06:51 PM. Reason: kant tipe)

Forum Links
Forum Rules