Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Which Hard Drive for 2008 Mac Pro?

Which Hard Drive for 2008 Mac Pro? (Page 2)
UnixMac
Mac Elite
Jul 24, 2008, 01:51 PM

Originally Posted by mduell View Post
WD also announced a bare 2.5" Velociraptor without the heatsink.
That's great for the guys getting them now, but after many of us already shelled out for the others with the heatsinks it is a day late and a dollar short! ..you know... I take it as a snub from WD that they didn't have a MacPro ready one made right off the bat. Granted, MacPro isn't a standard drive mount, but there are literally 10's of thousands of high end MacPro users that demand speed and the market is there.. It's a classic case of Mac users getting the left overs..

Thanks for the updates on this thread folks.. helps a lot.
Mac Pro 3.0, ATI 5770 1GB VRAM, 10GB, 2xVelociraptor boot RAID, 4.5TB RAID0 storage, 30" & 20" Apple displays.
2 x Macbook Pro's 17" 3.06 4 GB RAM, 256GB Solid State drives
iMac 17" Core Duo 1GB RAM, & 2 iPhones 8GB, and a Nano in a pear tree!
Apple user since 1981

Simon
Posting Junkie
Jul 25, 2008, 11:11 AM

And then there's always this hack that works with the regular Velociraptors and requires no extra kit to mount in a MP.

http://www.hardmac.com/news/2008-06-18/#8461

sadpandas
Forum Regular
Jul 26, 2008, 05:22 PM

I have gone through this post 5 times as well as others on setting up the 'perfect' mac pro for my needs which are primarily using Logic Pro for music for t.v. and film, after effects for motion for Blu Ray titles and BIG photoshop files for stsatic menus for BD and SD DVD's. So, my dear geniuses, as i write to you from my 4 day old machine; would you set the Raptor up as your boot disc to hold my osx and my program files then a couple of larger drives 1 to hold all of my music (itunes) and pictures and one to use for older projects? I am getting confused as to where and how people are using these 10k rpm drives. Please give the old schooler with the new box some info on my particular situation. I thank you for the countless threads posted here and in other threads/ forums by answering people's questions and NEVER sounding condescending. I want to make this beast the best most well behaved beast i possibly can.... After all i am coming from my 1.67 powerbook as my most used for music unit and my G5 as my design box.... now, i have it all here in one neat giant sexy mac prrrrrro. Thanks in advance... im not good with options . Im kidding here, i just need help to start me off in the right direction. I have ordered 2x2gb sticks of memory to bring me up to 6 gigs of ram which i think is a good starting point for the new After Effects. Thanks in advance!!!!

P
*Dual 2.8 quad core Mac Pro, 512 8800 GT, 1tb boot, 500gb audio, 340gb video, 6gb ram
*15"pb*1.67*128vm*100hd*2g ram*
*PMac*Dual 2.0GHz* 4g ram*
*3.0 p4 630* gigabyte848p775* radeon X800 Pro 256* 2g ram*

mduell
Posting Junkie
Jul 26, 2008, 06:48 PM

I'd get one for your OS/apps and one for your work in progress. Your iTunes and archives can share a big disk (1TB today, 1.5TB in a couple months).

sadpandas
Forum Regular
Jul 26, 2008, 11:03 PM

I'd get one for your OS/apps and one for your work in progress. Your iTunes and archives can share a big disk (1TB today, 1.5TB in a couple months).

See, that is a nice and easy set up. I was getting a lil scared of the raid talk (but am much more well informed because of all of the threads regarding this very subject and the subject of raid on it's own). So, one 10k for the os and another for my reading and writing while in pshop, logic, final cute, etc.? Or use the boot raptor for both? Please let me know and a thousand thanks for your help in answering a question although 'covered a million times' can sometimes confuse a person with everyone's different set ups but as each box is used differently it might require a custom set up... I AM RAMBLING!!!! again: thanks a million for your post.

{P)
*Dual 2.8 quad core Mac Pro, 512 8800 GT, 1tb boot, 500gb audio, 340gb video, 6gb ram

mduell
Posting Junkie
Jul 27, 2008, 12:57 AM

Yea. Put your OS/apps/Photoshop scratch on one Velociraptor, and whatever documents/project files you're working with on another. If you still end up disk-bound and want better performance, consider another Velociraptor and a hardware RAID card.

sadpandas
Forum Regular
Jul 28, 2008, 01:43 AM

Yea. Put your OS/apps/Photoshop scratch on one Velociraptor, and whatever documents/project files you're working with on another. If you still end up disk-bound and want better performance, consider another Velociraptor and a hardware RAID card.
Much appreciated. I will order my drives tomorrow; i ordered my ram this evening. 2x2gb crucial with my 2x1gb sticks and these new drives are going to be AMAZING! I Thank god i have only installed ps3 master's collection (about an hour and change install, the install dialog box said on some machines it could take up to and over 2 hours; bummer.) and Logic Pro. These will be very easy to reinstall. Thanks for the quick help/ post btw, i was starting to think this forum was a bit dead compared to the macbook and powerbook forums.

pandilicious

Drakino
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 14, 2008, 10:33 AM

Western Digital has a 3.5 inch SATA compliant version of the Velicoraptor out now.

http://wdc.com/en/products/Products.asp?DriveID=495

Looks like it carries the model number of WD3000HLFS, and they simply did what they should have done day one, moved the drive deeper into the enclosure and used a tiny PCB to position the connectors per the standard. This site has a shot of the bottom. http://techreport.com/discussions.x/15303
<This space under renovation>

mduell
Posting Junkie
Aug 14, 2008, 10:11 PM

Interesting, I didn't even think of a solution like making it a drive in an enclosure... despite having used 3.5" drives in external SATA (not eSATA) enclosures!

Simon
Posting Junkie
Aug 15, 2008, 02:09 AM

Better late than never.

sadpandas
Forum Regular
Aug 17, 2008, 03:06 PM

Originally Posted by Simon View Post
Better late than never.
Barefeats is the jam. I am thinking of getting the non heatsink raptors and using them with the custom heatsink and sled. I just hate to part about using 2 of them as a boot drive; i was thinking of getting 1 at 1st for boot then getting another but that would require 2 fresh installs so i guess ill bite le bullet and get them both at the same time... sigh* money isnt as easy to come by as it was 5 years ago.... IM OLD AND MAD! Im totally kidding here.

P

MacSmak
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 4, 2009, 01:21 PM

Sorry to revive this thread but it seems appropriate.

I'm about to build a Mac Pro mainly for the use of video, specifically Final Cut Studio. Would I follow the same set up described here in my case? 2 Velociraptors, 1 for the OS and Wares, 1 for scratch and then 2 1TB drives for files (my choice here are Seagate's with a 32mb cache running @ 7200). Then another drive (external) for TM. Would anything change in my case?

Thanks for any help

Forum Links
Forum Rules