Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > Problem with iPhone that Apple won't fix

Problem with iPhone that Apple won't fix
David2213
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 6, 2008, 01:01 PM

So in July I bought a 3G iPhone. About six weeks ago i started to have a problem with the audio when i was using it with headphones. I will randomly pause the music whenever headphones are plugged into it. Sometimes it pauses after a few seconds, sometimes a few minutes, etc. It works fine when using it with a Bose Sound dock and when listening to it with the internal speaker but anything that uses a headphone jack causes a problem. Now i have taken it in to apple for 3 separate genius appointments to have them look at it. But since it pauses randomly they cant reproduce it and say that there is nothing they can do. They plug headphones in and listen for about 30 seconds and then just say sorry. Does anyone out there have any suggestions about how to get apple to see that there is a problem and do something about it? I wouldn't be taking my phone in to them if there was nothing wrong. Not being able to use the ipod feature of the phone is a little frustrating. Sorry for the rant/long post.

Thanks for your help.
2.2 i7 MacBook Pro 8GB Ram 1TB HD
16 GB iPhone 4
Apple TV 2 x3

analogika
Posting Junkie
Oct 6, 2008, 03:30 PM

Try using it with a different headset? if it still pauses randomly, it's probably the jack. If not, the headset may be at fault.

If you can give a slightly clearer diagnosis, they might still help you out.

David2213  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 6, 2008, 04:14 PM

I have tried using it with the apple headphones, some sony's , bose and a car tape adapter, all with the same results.
2.2 i7 MacBook Pro 8GB Ram 1TB HD
16 GB iPhone 4
Apple TV 2 x3

analogika
Posting Junkie
Oct 6, 2008, 04:27 PM

Then try to escalate.

PwrMac.com
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 8, 2008, 02:07 PM

yea apple genius's tend to do that. I covered this in my blog:

http://www.pwrmac.com/2008/09/28/iphonefrustrations/

you could do what I did, call applecare on the phone or talk to customer relations. I wouldnt deal with an issue like that however.

Forum Links
Forum Rules