Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Disks included with new iBook?

Disks included with new iBook?
Jug-dish
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 1, 2001, 11:28 PM

I just received my IceBook. I totally love it so far (especially running OSX). One thing I noticed, though, is that mine didn't come wih the OSX Developer's CD. Can anyone else confirm this? Here are the CD's that came with my 'Book:
1. iBook S/W Install
2-5. iBook S/W Restore (4 CD's)
6. OSX
7. iMovie 2 (for OS 9.1)
8. iMovie 2 (for OSX)
9. iBook Applications
10. Apple Hardware Test

Am I missing anything?

Jug-dish

powertoburn
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 1, 2001, 11:44 PM

you are not missing anything, no Developer CD is included

wild9
Forum Regular
Jun 2, 2001, 12:00 AM

I'm eagerly anticipating my tax return so I can get an iBook, but when I got my recent Powermac G4 tower, I got only 3 Software Restore CD's.

I wonder why the iBook has four?

------------------
Beta 1.0a
Compulsive Software Update Button Clickers welcome!

Sprockets
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 2, 2001, 12:47 AM

Might the Developer Software be on one of the other CDs?

I hope it (Developer Software) comes with preinstalled OS X machines, as I want it when I get mine!

Janger
Forum Regular
Jun 2, 2001, 04:37 AM

Originally posted by wild9:
I'm eagerly anticipating my tax return so I can get an iBook, but when I got my recent Powermac G4 tower, I got only 3 Software Restore CD's.

From what I heard, there are tons of MP3s included, about 600 MB. That might be the fourth restore CD. Now I just wonder if they are including this with a German system. Probably not

dreilly1
Mac Elite
Jun 2, 2001, 11:03 AM

It says in the "About Audio Samples" File that the MP3's are only on the hard drive as shipped, and NOT on the restore CD. They probably couldn't get the rights to "distribute" them any other way. Conveniently, however, the "Samples" folder happens to be the right size for a CD-R.

<soapbox>
I really appreciate Apple embracing the MP3 format (even to the extent that you can burn MP3's onto CD's directly through iTunes). It's too bad that the Recording Industry can't see the value in distributing songs in MP3 format.

It will be interesting to see what happens once Windows XP comes out, and Microsoft starts pushing their new, "Secure" digital audio format, and trying to kill MP3. Will MS and the RIAA succeed in strongarming a new, less functional technology down the world's throats? Will Apple eventually get sued because the RIAA thinks iTunes turns everyone's grandmother into Gary the Happy Music Pirate?

Tune in next year... Same Bat-Time, Same Bat-Channel...

</soapbox>

Member of the the Stupid Brigade! (If you see Sponsored Links in any of my posts, please PM me!)

Janger
Forum Regular
Jun 2, 2001, 01:05 PM

Originally posted by dreilly1:
It says in the "About Audio Samples" File that the MP3's are only on the hard drive as shipped, and NOT on the restore CD. They probably couldn't get the rights to "distribute" them any other way. Conveniently, however, the "Samples" folder happens to be the right size for a CD-R.

<soapbox>
I really appreciate Apple embracing the MP3 format (even to the extent that you can burn MP3's onto CD's directly through iTunes). It's too bad that the Recording Industry can't see the value in distributing songs in MP3 format.
Ok... what sort of material is Apple including (apart from "Who let the dogs out"? Is there a sort of concept or just anything that could be called a sound?

powertoburn
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 2, 2001, 01:26 PM

"Who Let The Dogs Out" is not part of the mp3's that come with the computer. Some of the ones I can remember cause I listen to them daily.

The B52's - Love Shack, Rock Lobster, Summer Of Love, Private Idaho

New Order - Bizzare Love Triangle, Perfect Kiss, Age Of Consent, Everyone Everywhere, Round & Round

Depeche Mode - Strangelove

Erasure - O'LAmour, Sometimes

Filter - The Best Things, Hey Man Nice Shot

Belly - Feed The Tree

BT- Remember, Blue Skies

and there are many more including a few chapters of "The Goblet Of Fire" by J.K. Rowling, which I will admit listening to a few chapters got me hooked on Harry Potter.

Janger
Forum Regular
Jun 3, 2001, 09:05 AM

Originally posted by powertoburn
:
<STRONG>"Who Let The Dogs Out" is not part of the mp3's that come with the computer. Some of the ones I can remember cause I listen to them daily.

The B52's - Love Shack, Rock Lobster, Summer Of Love, Private Idaho

New Order - Bizzare Love Triangle, Perfect Kiss, Age Of Consent, Everyone Everywhere, Round & Round

Depeche Mode - Strangelove

Erasure - O'LAmour, Sometimes

Filter - The Best Things, Hey Man Nice Shot

Belly - Feed The Tree

BT- Remember, Blue Skies

and there are many more including a few chapters of "The Goblet Of Fire" by J.K. Rowling, which I will admit listening to a few chapters got me hooked on Harry Potter.</STRONG>
New Order... that's quite cool. Obviously, some folks at Apple have a good taste in both design and music.

STAT
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 3, 2001, 11:15 AM

No disks...just discs.
Apple user since 1987

WTWolfe
Jun 3, 2001, 02:59 PM

Originally posted by wild9
:
<STRONG>I'm eagerly anticipating my tax return so I can get an iBook, but when I got my recent Powermac G4 tower, I got only 3 Software Restore CD's.

</STRONG>
That is the difference between Pro and Consumer Models.

[ 06-03-2001: Message edited by: WTWolfe ]
� G4 350 (AGP) 640MB OS 9.2.2
� iBook SE 466 Graphite 192MB OS X v10.1.4 (5Q125)

<paul>
Jun 3, 2001, 05:38 PM

Do all iBooks include MacOSX? I'm confused, as Apple advertises it having 9.1

Jug-dish  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 3, 2001, 06:11 PM

Originally posted by &lt;paul&gt;:
<STRONG>Do all iBooks include MacOSX? I'm confused, as Apple advertises it having 9.1</STRONG>
Starting May 21 (or so?..I don't recall the exact date), all Macs purchased from Apple or an authorized Apple reseller come with OS X (either pre-installed or you can sent away for a free copy).

Jug-dish  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 3, 2001, 06:17 PM

Originally posted by &lt;paul&gt;:
<STRONG>Do all iBooks include MacOSX? I'm confused, as Apple advertises it having 9.1</STRONG>
Starting May 21 (or so?..I don't recall the exact date), all Macs purchased from Apple or an authorized Apple reseller come with OS X (either pre-installed or you can sent away for a free copy).

murbot
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 3, 2001, 06:51 PM

I got burned with the MP3 thing when I had my iMac - repartitioned the drive to install OSX and lost all the MP3s. I thought they would be on the install CDs. That'll be the first thing I do with my next Mac - burn those babies to CD-R. There are actually quite a few decent songs on there.

SmileyDude
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 3, 2001, 07:55 PM

Originally posted by Jug-dish:
<STRONG>I just received my IceBook. I totally love it so far (especially running OSX). One thing I noticed, though, is that mine didn't come wih the OSX Developer's CD. Can anyone else confirm this? Here are the CD's that came with my 'Book:
1. iBook S/W Install
2-5. iBook S/W Restore (4 CD's)
6. OSX
7. iMovie 2 (for OS 9.1)
8. iMovie 2 (for OSX)
9. iBook Applications
10. Apple Hardware Test

Am I missing anything?

Jug-dish</STRONG>
4 S/W Restore CDs????? Is this just because of OS X and the mp3s, or what? My 2000 iBook only came with one restore CD...
dennis

Forum Links
Forum Rules