Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Hardware Hacking > quad 2.5 g5 in powermac g5 2.7 case

quad 2.5 g5 in powermac g5 2.7 case
zero1207
Jan 19, 2009, 03:28 PM

Alright then. I want to put a quad 2.5GHz g5 processor into a powermac g5 dual 2.7 case. Is this even possible? What sort of problems will I run into? If anyone else has done this or something similar I'd appreciate a little extra knowledge. Getting it done won't be a problem, I just need to know if it can be done.

zero1207  (op)
Jan 19, 2009, 03:46 PM

maybe some background because I realized this sounds like a weird thing to do. the dual 2.7ghz got zapped in a lightning storm and after figuring out that the p. supply wasn't the only thing that got fried we ended up with a very slick looking, very heavy paperweight. So we want to drop a quad 2.5ghz into the case.

reader50
Administrator
Jan 19, 2009, 08:29 PM

* holds my Quad G5 protectively *

You can't have my CPU module! I still need it. The power supply too.

However, I would recommend a good surge protector.

zero1207  (op)
Jan 21, 2009, 04:40 PM

haha ya i know. it was a client's computer that got zapped and he gave it to us to offset any payment he owed. I bet he's definitely using a surge protector now.

seanc
Moderator Emeritus
Jan 21, 2009, 05:36 PM

Do you KNOW the logic board is OK?
Might just be better off buying a processor and logic board together.

zero1207  (op)
Jan 22, 2009, 04:01 PM

ya logic board is toast too. Didn't mention that. Just working out the logistics of space and how easily the replacements will fit in the case. For instance, cooling, any connections, do you think we'll have to mod the case, etc.

reader50
Administrator
Jan 22, 2009, 04:11 PM

If you have to replace the power supply, CPU core, and logic board - why not sell it for parts, and pick up a working Quad G5? This repair is sounding expensive.

Luca Rescigno
Professional Poster
Jan 22, 2009, 04:28 PM

Originally Posted by reader50 View Post
If you have to replace the power supply, CPU core, and logic board - why not sell it for parts, and pick up a working Quad G5? This repair is sounding expensive.
Agreed. At this point the best use of the case (outside of just selling it) would be to put a PC or Hackintosh inside it. Even that won't be easy, though. You'd have to figure out how to mount the motherboard (since the screw holes probably don't line up) and you'd also have to create some sort of impromptu backplate for the ports since it's likely the G5 case doesn't have the right sized opening in the back. On top of that, it seems almost certain that the front ports won't just plug into any old ATX motherboard.

"That's Mama Luigi to you, Mario!" *wheeze*

zero1207  (op)
Jan 26, 2009, 02:04 PM

well we have parts from other computers lying around so we're trying to create some sort of frankenstein mac out of our computer graveyard. and also it's sort of a "hey this might be fun to try and do" thing. gracias for the suggestions though. we've been busy but if we get around to pulling it off i'll let you guys know what sort of problems we encounter.

Forum Links
Forum Rules