Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > DV Camera & Hard Drive Through Firewire Port

DV Camera & Hard Drive Through Firewire Port
Sprockets
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 3, 2001, 06:34 PM

Hello,

I'm on the verge of purchasing an iBook SE (pending MWSF) and I have a question.

I'd like to get it with the 10GB hard drive, as 20GB is an expensive upgrade and I'm not sure I need that much anyways. So, if I'm doing Digital Video editing, I'm wondering if it's possible to connect a Firewire Hard Drive and a DV camera to the (only) Firewire port and write from the camera directly to the Firewire Hard Drive?

Any thoughts? If you need more info from me to answer this, please ask.

I'm really new on these Forums and am excited to be switching to Macs, so I appreciate all of your help! Thanks!

slboett
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 3, 2001, 09:49 PM

You can do it - but as this TIL article says, Apple does not recommend FireWire drives at this time for use with Final Cut Pro.
You can capture to the internal drive (for now) and transfer to the FireWire drive after...Expect similar results with iMovie.
In my initial testing, I have had good luck doing this.
http://til.info.apple.com/techinfo.nsf/artnum/n58636

Scott

Sprockets  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 4, 2001, 05:11 PM

Thanks for the reply, Scott.

I did read that link. Good info in there! I hope all Apple support is as useable/understandable as that.

I'll probably be using iMovie2 for Digital Video editing. Nothing too serious, just personal/home video. My main concern is that DV files would take up too much space on the iBook's hard drive. Have you had trouble with this? I don't mind allocating space for DV editing, but I don't want to run into too much difficulty.

From how I understand it, and based on what the TIL article says, Firewire drives may become recommended at some point for direct writing to. That seems like the best alternative, to me, if hard drive space becomes limited.

Can anyone give me some numbers on how much space DV files can take up? A link to similar information would be great too.

Thanks!

slboett
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 4, 2001, 06:04 PM

I shoulda given you this to begin with - great place for all of your DV needs!!!
http://www.2-pop.com/

Scott

PS - I have and love the VST FireWire drives: http://www.vsttech.com

Sprockets  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 4, 2001, 07:17 PM

Thanks for the links, Scott!

I found the TIL article that addresses my question almost directly. However when I went to post a little while ago, I got the Blue Screen Of Death! Yes, I'm having to use a PC until I get my new iBook!

So, I'll have to post that link/info later. I'm in a hurry now!

Forum Links
Forum Rules