Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > IOS 5 (Beta/GM?)

IOS 5 (Beta/GM?)
Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Oct 6, 2011, 07:31 AM

I imagine most people here have noticed that its quite straightforward to get hold of iOS5 and iTunes 10.5 and update your iPhone without needing a dev account to do so by now. I did this last night with my 3GS.

Has anyone seen anything about location-based reminders not being available on the 3GS? I don't appear to have them on my install and I can't fathom why. I have GPS so why would Apple remove them? Seems dumb. The only reason to upgrade a 3GS to iOS5 now is iMessage and the fine-but-hardly-mindblowing notification centre.

I was looking forward to location-based reminders, seemed like a really cool feature.

I'm running build 9A334.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

ChrisF
Senior User
Oct 6, 2011, 09:25 AM

Originally Posted by Waragainstsleep View Post
Has anyone seen anything about location-based reminders not being available on the 3GS?
Do you have an Exchange account configured on your phone? If you do, the reminders default to your tasks list on the Exchange server and that doesn't seem to support location. You can make a new reminder list and that might allow it to work.

Waragainstsleep  (op)
Posting Junkie
Oct 6, 2011, 09:48 AM

I tried creating a local tasks list but it didn't seem to make any difference. Is it working on your 3GS? Nothing I hate more than spending hours trying to make something work only to find it was never going to happen!
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

ChrisF
Senior User
Oct 6, 2011, 11:08 AM

I tried creating a local tasks list but it didn't seem to make any difference. Is it working on your 3GS? Nothing I hate more than spending hours trying to make something work only to find it was never going to happen!
I have a 4, but ran into the locations not working because of the Exchange account I have on it.

Waragainstsleep  (op)
Posting Junkie
Oct 6, 2011, 12:08 PM

Perhaps I'll delete my account check then, thanks!

robertus
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 7, 2011, 04:09 PM

Perhaps I'll delete my account check then, thanks!
i have the same problem, reminders don't have location option

can you explain me how to fix it?

Waragainstsleep  (op)
Posting Junkie
Oct 7, 2011, 07:49 PM

Haven't managed it yet despite deleting my Exchange account. It appears that the 3GS does not support location based reminders, which sucks because it blatantly has everything it needs to do so and apparently did a few beta versions ago.

Forum Links
Forum Rules