Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > MCE Cardbus on PB 3400 + Road Rocket

MCE Cardbus on PB 3400 + Road Rocket
dentarthurdent
Jun 1, 2000, 12:31 PM

I recently had MCE "activate" the Carbus on my PB 3400c hoping to use the Road Rocket I bought on closeout from Western Marketing (the Road Rocket is listed on MCE's website as a device that can be used after Cardbus activation). It turns out that you have to insert another Cardbus card first, eject it and then insert the RR in order for it to work. My thought is that the first Cardbus card (I borrowed a USB card from a colleague) gets the Cardbus -PCI bridge to load and this allows the RR to be recognized. If I skip the first card, the system senses that a card has been inserted, but fails to power it up completely and recognize the card (I used TupleDumper from the Apple Dev site and only see question marks for many of the data fields, if I skip the first Cardbus card insertion). Does anyone know a workaround for this? Perhaps a program that will force the Cardbus-PCI bridge to load. I don't really feel like buying another Cardbus card just to be able to use the RR. Thanks

pasha
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 2, 2000, 12:46 PM

I own a Powerbook 3400 as well. I would be interested to know what you meant by "activate the Cardbus" I was not aware the 3400 had cardbus...

WL
Jun 2, 2000, 01:11 PM

Apparently some modifications to the PowerBook 3400/3500 (the original PowerBook G3) would allow them to use CardBus cards. You can check out http://www.powerbook1.com for details. I've considered trying it, but then I'm on the other side of the planet and I don't really want to ship my PB so far.

Could I ask for more details about the Roadrocket? I find the 3400/G3's 800x600 resolution not-quite-enough for work, and chaining a 2nd monitor to the PowerBook would be a good thing; are there any options other than the RoadRocket?

Originally posted by pasha:
I own a Powerbook 3400 as well. I would be interested to know what you meant by "activate the Cardbus" I was not aware the 3400 had cardbus...

bm
Jun 2, 2000, 02:21 PM

I might suggest playing with the order your extensions load...

Anyone had any luck with the iX3D Road Rocket & OS-9?

Bakafish
Jun 2, 2000, 04:45 PM

What did MCE say? I have a cardbus modified 2400 (w/400MHz G3) and was thinking of tracking down a Road Rocket to improve the video. I wish someone would make a more modern version of this card (a zoomed video, cardbus accellerator.)

dentarthurdent
Jun 2, 2000, 05:54 PM

Thanks for the responses. The work around I'm using was suggested to me by MCE (after I found that the RoadRocket wouldn't load up by itself). While I'm very happy with the Road Rocket's performance (and a 17" monitor above my LCD screen), it's getting a little old running downstairs to borrow a USB card just to start up every day.
MCE doesn't say exactly what they do when "activating" the cardbus, but I imagine it involves making some mods to the PC card slot circuit to enable the cardbus circuitry (present, but inactive on 2400, 3400 and early G3). Cardbus cards (and other 3.3 volt cards, I think) also have a thicker "key" on the left side of the card to keep them out of standard 5 volt PC Card slots, so MCE must also do something to the physical slot as well. In addition they provide some modified USB enablers since the Apple ones will detect that the machine is an older model and will refuse to install.
I haven't played with the extension load order, but will give that a try and post my results.
I'm using 9.0.4 on a 240Mhz 3400c with the RoadRocket extensions and software that came in the origianl packaging (I haven't been able to find an more recent drivers). thanks again

space-e
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 2, 2000, 11:56 PM

dentarthurdent -
I'll buy the RR if you can't deal with [email protected]

escher
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 4, 2000, 02:00 PM

Originally posted by Bakafish:
I have a cardbus modified 2400 (w/400MHz G3)
Lucky you! I have a CardBus enabled 2400 as well, but I'm still running the originial 603e/180 processor.

How's the battery life with the Vimage G3/400 upgrade? How's heat? How's overall performance? Would you recommend the upgrade, condsidering that a new iBook would cost about the same (but weigh twice as much)and have 3-4 times the battery life of the 2400?

Escher

[This message has been edited by escher (edited 06-04-2000).]
"The only laptop computer that's useful is the one you have with you."
Until we get a 3 lbs sub-PowerBook, the 12-inch PowerBook will do.

escher
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 4, 2000, 02:24 PM

Originally posted by Bakafish:
I have a cardbus modified 2400 (w/400MHz G3)
PS: Have you tried to run Max OS X DP4 on it by any chance?

Escher
"The only laptop computer that's useful is the one you have with you."
Until we get a 3 lbs sub-PowerBook, the 12-inch PowerBook will do.

Forum Links
Forum Rules