Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > 9600 Proc. speeds

9600 Proc. speeds
pasha
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 9, 1999, 01:38 PM

Ok... another 9600 question... as most of you know, thee 9600 series shipped with a 50 Mhz Bus & Mach 5 (604ev) processors ranging in speeds.

So onto the question: Is the Mach 5 processor the same all the way around, regardless of actual speed? The reason I ask is that I pulled the daughtercard last night & noticed that there is a box on the underside that I had not noticed before: It is lettering etched on to the card. It has 4 spaces on it:
|250 Mhz | | R252 |

There is a green transistor (or whatever it really is) that connects the two points next to the words "350 Mhz"

Now, If other people have these Mach V daughter cards at different speeds, is it conceiveable that by pulling this thingy & resoldering it to the 400Mhz position that I can bump my processor speed?

Are there any other ways that the 9600 can be accelerated with the Mach 5 card other than the theory above?

Of course, I take my computers life into my hands. But if I fry the processor, how bad can it be? Lots of 9600 owners sell their Mach v cards to ebay when they upgrade to G3's or whatnot.

Thanks for reading,
-Pasha

drewman
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 18, 1999, 01:48 AM

I don't believe that the resistor does anything but tell the system how fast the card runs. It doesn't actually change the speed. So, the system would report you running at 400Mhz, but the MacBench wouldn't change.

drewman

Forum Links
Forum Rules