Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Gaming > Games that should be ported

Games that should be ported
MacGallant
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 6, 2002, 08:50 PM

Are any mac companies porting Jedi StarFighter or Jedi Knight 2 to the Mac? I saw these games on the pc games section at BestBuy and they look awesome. I rather have these games ported that galactic battlegrounds. One more thing. . . will Bold bring the Microsoft games like Mechwarrior 4 or some of the microsoft sports titles to the mac? My brother and I particularly like B-ball video games and I am sick of playing NBA Live 2001 on the Connectix gamestation. I suck at B-ball in real life and enjoy doing controlling superstars and doing moves I can't do in real life.
PowerMacG4 MDD Dual867Mhz, MacOSX 10.5.5 Leopard
2GB Ram, 128mb Radeon 9800 Pro, 80GB HD & 160GB HD
MacBook Black: Core2Duo 2.2Ghz, MacOSX 10.5.5 Leopard
4GB Ram & 250GB HD

davecom
Mac Elite
Apr 6, 2002, 09:23 PM

Originally posted by MacGallant:
<STRONG>Are any mac companies porting Jedi StarFighter or Jedi Knight 2 to the Mac? I saw these games on the pc games section at BestBuy and they look awesome. I rather have these games ported that galactic battlegrounds. One more thing. . . will Bold bring the Microsoft games like Mechwarrior 4 or some of the microsoft sports titles to the mac? My brother and I particularly like B-ball video games and I am sick of playing NBA Live 2001 on the Connectix gamestation. I suck at B-ball in real life and enjoy doing controlling superstars and doing moves I can't do in real life.</STRONG>
I agree that Bold should be more aggresive in its porting of Microsoft games.

juanvaldes
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 6, 2002, 09:34 PM

Originally posted by davecom:
<STRONG>

I agree that Bold should be more aggresive in its porting of Microsoft games.</STRONG>
Weren't they supposed to bring all M$ games to the mac?
The spirit of resistance to government is so valuable on certain occasions, that I wish it always to be kept alive.
- Thomas Jefferson, 1787

x user
Mac Elite
Apr 6, 2002, 10:01 PM

Yes, including FS2002

anim8ing
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 6, 2002, 10:46 PM

I think this is a GREAT topic, though I haven't been playing many games as I have 2 G3 here machines at home, and the newer games are much, much better on a G4. If you look at bold's web page, (www.boldgames.com) they say that they are porting Links 2002, and Flight Sim 2002, but have nothing about the status of these games. I remember reading back when AoE II was just being released that they were already working on FS2002...If this is the case, why is there no news, etc about it ? There are some really great games being ported to the mac (Medal of Honor, No one lives forever just to name a couple). Mac gaming has been suffering for a long time, but with the release of OS X, it seems to be getting MUCH better. This is going to be a great year for the mac gamer. I'm looking forward to MWNY to see what else companies like Westlake and Aspyr have in store for us. Of course, you cannot forget about blizzard and Warcraft 3. Some people complain that the iMac has a GeForce 2 in it, but as far as I've seen it runs games just fine. We don't "really" need the highest powered video cards to run the same games in as good of quality as the PC world. I think it goes to show that gaming on a mac is as good as gaming on a PC. X is coming along just fine, all we need is ATI to release some decent X drivers and the older iMacs with the Rage128 will be back in the swing of things.

Sorry for the long post, just adding my 2 cents.

Anim8r

Archangel
Mac Elite
Apr 7, 2002, 11:20 PM

I bet Jedi Knight 2 will be ported. It uses the Q3 engine. Of course, if it bombs. . .

Big ones I want ported: Unreal 2 and UT 2003. I'll die if those don't get ported.

I can't really think of a lot of other games to have ported. . .

Maybe No One Lives Forever can be finished along with Max Payne.

Anim8r: where's my money?

The DJ
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 8, 2002, 07:48 AM

Originally posted by Archangel:
<STRONG>
I can't really think of a lot of other games to have ported. . .

Maybe No One Lives Forever can be finished along with Max Payne.
</STRONG>
Ghost Recon, Ghost Recon, Ghost Recon.

DJ

Derk-Jan Hartman, Student of the University Twente (NL), developer of VLC media player

xyber233
Mac Elite
Apr 8, 2002, 09:49 AM

UT2003 needs to be ported!!! I wish that I could play AOE2 with windows users though . And I hope that a third party releases a mac launcher for Tactical Ops:AOT.

NickKohn
Forum Regular
Apr 8, 2002, 02:24 PM

Originally posted by The DJ:
<STRONG>

Ghost Recon, Ghost Recon, Ghost Recon.

DJ</STRONG>
Wait, I think you left one out. Oh yeah, Ghost Recon needs to be ported. The most realistic shotter game ever made.

<Guy Incognito>
Apr 8, 2002, 02:47 PM

Originally posted by NickKohn:
<STRONG>

Wait, I think you left one out. Oh yeah, Ghost Recon needs to be ported. The most realistic shotter game ever made.</STRONG>
Really? Can I feel pain or die when I get shot? Can I smell the stench of rotting carcasses and fresh blood? Can I be burdened with heavy armor and weaponry that will hinder my movement? Will fear strike me if I'm surrounded by enemies? If not, I'm not interested.

mac freak
Mac Elite
Apr 8, 2002, 04:22 PM

We need Dungeon Siege!
WE NEED IT NOW!!!
Be happy.

<truth teller>
Apr 8, 2002, 04:28 PM

Originally posted by &lt;Guy Incognito&gt;:
<STRONG>

Really? Can I feel pain or die when I get shot? Can I smell the stench of rotting carcasses and fresh blood? Can I be burdened with heavy armor and weaponry that will hinder my movement? Will fear strike me if I'm surrounded by enemies? If not, I'm not interested.</STRONG>
Look! It's the most realistic a**hole ever made! Have you ever made a comment worth anything?

littlegreenspud
Senior User
Apr 8, 2002, 04:35 PM

I need Unreal II and Deus Ex II and I need the NOW!

Guy Incognito
Banned
Apr 8, 2002, 04:39 PM

Originally posted by &lt;truth teller&gt;:
<STRONG>

Look! It's the most realistic a**hole ever made! Have you ever made a comment worth anything?</STRONG>
Not really, have you?

imacman11
Apr 10, 2002, 09:39 PM

I loved Hitman... Hope they can port the sequel which is coming out soon...

those games ROCK...

iKevin
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 11, 2002, 12:45 PM

Originally posted by xyber233:
<STRONG>UT2003 needs to be ported!!! I wish that I could play AOE2 with windows users though . And I hope that a third party releases a mac launcher for Tactical Ops:AOT.</STRONG>

The AOE2 for Mac won't run with windows users? Glad i found this out before i bought it...that really sucks

iKevin
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 11, 2002, 12:46 PM

Originally posted by NickKohn:
<STRONG>

Wait, I think you left one out. Oh yeah, Ghost Recon needs to be ported. The most realistic shotter game ever made.</STRONG>
Ditto on Ghost Recon...bada$$

juanvaldes
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 11, 2002, 05:32 PM

Originally posted by iKevin:
<STRONG>

The AOE2 for Mac won't run with windows users? Glad i found this out before i bought it...that really sucks</STRONG>
If I recall right it is because AOE2 on windows used alot of DirectX instead of a more friendly for porting OpenGL. Thus some of the DirectX stuff couldn't' be ported over, and the most obvious problem with this is Mac to windows networking can't work. This also effects Baldurs Gate 2, and other games.
The spirit of resistance to government is so valuable on certain occasions, that I wish it always to be kept alive.
- Thomas Jefferson, 1787

beb
Mac Elite
Apr 11, 2002, 08:17 PM

Ok, I had to bring it up. I want Halo.

DrBoar
Senior User
Apr 12, 2002, 12:52 PM

Microsofts WW II Flight sim!
We have not have a decent WWII flightsim since Hellcats came out more than 10 years ago! Compare that with all the sims on PC.
Out of the Sun was terrible
and Screeming Demons over Europe seem to be a rainbow, on the horison sometimes but never closer! If it ever is released it is still based on an engine that is as old as the Marathon engine.

Pretty please MS

goatnet
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 12, 2002, 01:21 PM

It will NEVER happen, but I would love to see Asheron's Call on the Mac. It was the only instant gratification MMORPG, you could just log in, buff up in 2 minutes, kill stuff for 20 minutes and instantly log out.

They laughed at my Mac, it had no CLI. They laughed at Linux, it had no GUI. I installed MacOS X, and shut them up.

xyber233
Mac Elite
Apr 12, 2002, 01:52 PM

I'd like to see half-life...too bad it'll never happen .

<Gank Dawg>
Apr 12, 2002, 04:53 PM

Originally posted by xyber233:
<STRONG>UT2003 needs to be ported!!! I wish that I could play AOE2 with windows users though . And I hope that a third party releases a mac launcher for Tactical Ops:AOT.</STRONG>
Shag has already said that they are working on an OS X launcher for TO:AOT, we can only cross our fingers and hope!

goMac
Posting Junkie
Apr 12, 2002, 07:45 PM

Originally posted by juanvaldes:
<STRONG>

If I recall right it is because AOE2 on windows used alot of DirectX instead of a more friendly for porting OpenGL. Thus some of the DirectX stuff couldn't' be ported over, and the most obvious problem with this is Mac to windows networking can't work. This also effects Baldurs Gate 2, and other games.</STRONG>
No, thats not it. Microsoft has a certain network protocol they use for games, which they refuse to share with anyone, including Bold.

Really, I'm serious.
8 Core 2.8 ghz Mac Pro/GF8800/2 23" Cinema Displays, 3.06 ghz Macbook Pro
Once you wanted revolution, now you're the institution, how's it feel to be the man?

jcadam
Mac Elite
Apr 12, 2002, 11:50 PM

Originally posted by goMac:
<STRONG>

No, thats not it. Microsoft has a certain network protocol they use for games, which they refuse to share with anyone, including Bold.

Really, I'm serious.</STRONG>
yep. It's DirectPlay. It's part of DirectX just like Direct3D is.

OpenGL is only a graphics library. Most PC games that use OpenGL for graphics use other parts of DirectX for some of the rest (DirectSound, DirectInput, DirectPlay,etc.)

Anyway, Tribes2 needs to be ported.
Caffeinated Rhino Software -- Education and Training management software

xyber233
Mac Elite
Apr 13, 2002, 12:55 PM

They cannot release the TO mac launcher because of legal issues reguarding licensing. Clan MTO is working on a way to make it work. Good luck to them.

parkds
Forum Regular
Apr 14, 2002, 03:41 PM

Rollercoaster Tycoon on Mac would make me VERY happy, but word is that the engine for the game is impossible to port. oh well
doug

Elvin
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 14, 2002, 05:33 PM

Here's hoping that Aspyr brings us JediKnight 2, and Tony Hawk 3

Nebrie
Mac Elite
Apr 14, 2002, 05:51 PM

Empire Earth
Dungeon Siege

Forum Links
Forum Rules