Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Telnet as root

Telnet as root
mbanks
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 6, 2001, 02:49 AM

OK, I know some of you are going to cringe at this question, but I hope you realize by virtue of the fact that I'm asking the question, it would actually help me...

How does one enable root to log in remotely? (aka. telnet, rlogin, etc.) I know it's the CONSOLE line in /etc/default/login on Solaris, but I'm not as familiar (yet?) with BSD. (I do understand the principle of su.)

I noticed FTP is the same (/etc/ftpusers for those who care.)
matt

D_Claire
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 6, 2001, 03:11 AM

First: Don't use telnet use ssh because it's more secure (less viruses...) You find a description to install OpenSSH by http://www.stepwise.com

Second: Probably you mean 'ssh -l root server.net'. Another possibility is to login with your own username and then write in the Terminal 'su - root'

Helps this?

Claire

Lars -2
Apr 6, 2001, 04:08 AM

Remote root is disabled by default for a reason. The usual way is to log in as a user, then do a "su -".

cu
Lars

downtown switzerland
Apr 6, 2001, 05:58 AM

Helps this?

Claire
are people actually using computers in uri, switzerland? os x?

i'm impressed...

D_Claire
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 6, 2001, 06:13 AM

a least one!

mbanks  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 6, 2001, 03:50 PM

OK, unless you're on the console, you can't login to your OSX (and most flavors of UNIX) machine through ssh, rsh, rlogin, telnet, etc, as root without disabling some security mechanism on the host machine (server running telnetd or sshd or whatever). My question is merely how to disable that mechanism. The flavors I use will simply boot you off with a message similar to "Not on console" and then the session ends. OSX at least allows you to log in again after giving you the error "root login refused on this terminal." THAT was my question, not how to use the -l flag. I would imagine it is the same as other BSD-esque OS'es, and perhaps even LINUX.

I also understand (and have used for quite some time) ssh. I agree. Use ssh where possible or needed. However, for convenience sake, this makes my life easier during initial configuration of systems on a LAN.

Anyway, thanks in advance.
matt

Zarafa
Forum Regular
Apr 6, 2001, 04:09 PM

Originally posted by mbanks:
OK, unless you're on the console, you can't login to your OSX (and most flavors of UNIX) machine through ssh, rsh, rlogin, telnet, etc, as root without disabling some security mechanism on the host machine (server running telnetd or sshd or whatever). My question is merely how to disable that mechanism. The flavors I use will simply boot you off with a message similar to "Not on console" and then the session ends. OSX at least allows you to log in again after giving you the error "root login refused on this terminal." THAT was my question, not how to use the -l flag. I would imagine it is the same as other BSD-esque OS'es, and perhaps even LINUX.

I also understand (and have used for quite some time) ssh. I agree. Use ssh where possible or needed. However, for convenience sake, this makes my life easier during initial configuration of systems on a LAN.

Anyway, thanks in advance.
matt

man ttys

dmcknigh
Apr 6, 2001, 06:13 PM

You cannot log in via telnet as root for security reasons. As others have said telnet (or preferably ssh) in as your normal username and then 'su' to root. It's a lot safer and secure especially if you use ssh.

mbanks  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 9, 2001, 04:15 PM

Just as a follow up - if someone does a search for this topic. The ttys file is where it's located. (Thanks for the right direction Zarafa.) If you're not good at man page reading (who is really?), you simply need to list the ports as secure. I didn't realize that BSD has such a different authentication scheme than System V (Bell labs) UNIX.
matt

Jadey
Forum Regular
Apr 10, 2001, 11:39 PM

Just wanted to point out that SSH isn't more secure because of "less viruses...". It encryptes the information being sent over your connection so that if someone was theoretically monitoring your connection, they couldn't retrive your password. It has no virus filtering whatsoever.

dmcknigh is correct though. SSH to your account remotely, then su to root or sudo any root commands you need to execute as superuser.

pahroza
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 11, 2001, 12:49 AM

Originally posted by downtown switzerland:

i'm impressed...

uhm. downtown switzerland. which downtown would that be? not very descriptive. I could have sworn they educated you better than that.

Oder viellicht gahts det i'da schuel genau so schlect wie da i de staate.

pahroza
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 11, 2001, 12:52 AM

Originally posted by downtown switzerland:

i'm impressed...

uhm. downtown switzerland. which downtown would that be? not very descriptive. I could have sworn they educated you better than that.

Simon C. Leemann
Apr 11, 2001, 06:40 AM

Originally posted by pahroza:
Insider joke: Zurich=Downtown Switzerland

Viellicht bisch Du scho es bitz lang i de Staate und h�sch drum nid mit �bercho, dass sich Z�ri oder wenigstens Z�ri-Tourismus jetzt Downtown Switzerland nennt. Di halbi Schwiiz (inkl. einige Z�rcher) lached sich z'tod drab...

scl

P
Apr 11, 2001, 09:10 AM

People are real good at avoiding the question here:

Open Netinfo Manager. Somewhere under the Security menu you'll find "Enable root account". You'll need to Authenticate in the same program first.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

Forum Links
Forum Rules