Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > DVDs OS X (NO!) OS9 (yep!)

DVDs OS X (NO!) OS9 (yep!)
Mutant
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 16, 2002, 07:10 PM

So I 've got more than one DVD that won't play under OS X (DVD Player crashes with -36 error), but otherwise work fine under OS 9.

What am I doing wrong? Any suggestions?

Most importantly, why should I upgrade if Jaquar won't allow an OS 9 boot, and my DVDs don't work in X? FTS!

Thanks for your help! Would like to update to 'Jaq, but can't as it stands now.

Take care

M
TiBook (400Mhz, 256MB, 30GB, Airport) / iMac 350 (350Mhz, 384MB, 4B, AIrport) / iMac DV+ (450Mhz, 320MB, 20GB, Airport) / PowerMac 5500/275 (64MB, 20GB) / Mac TV / Mac SE / iPod (5GB) / iPaq 3850 / Sony AIBO (just for fun)

Peabo
Senior User
Aug 16, 2002, 07:15 PM

you can still boot to OS 9 from jaguar. I dunno where people keep hearing otherwise.
LC 16Mhz • LC 475 25Mhz • Centris 650 25Mhz • Performa 6200/75Mhz • G3 266Mhz • Snow iMac DVSE 500Mhz
G4 QS 733Mhz • 17" Powerbook 1.33Ghz • 15" MacBook Pro Core Duo 2.16Ghz • Mac Pro 8-Core 3.0 Ghz

DaveGee
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 16, 2002, 07:52 PM

Originally posted by z0ne81:
you can still boot to OS 9 from jaguar. I dunno where people keep hearing otherwise.
Just think if he's that educated about Jag then that could explain alot... It's called TROLL...

Think about it...

This person doesn't want his/her problem solved at all! Just wanted to TROLL.

Had this person been looking for a fix for the problem we might have see things like say...

WHAT THE DVD WAS!
WHAT THE OS VERSION WAS!
WHAT THE MAC WAS!
WHAT THE MEMORY WAS!

You know the kind of things people usually include when they have problems.

D

t_hah
Mac Elite
Aug 16, 2002, 08:42 PM

DaveGee please read the whole post before sending in your reply. The person has lot of info in his sig...

Anyway...I might be wrong but it sound like you might be confusing some things on your Mac. There can be more than one DVD player programs on your Mac. I am suspecting that you have one in Classic, and one in OSX. I am not sure what the -36 error is, maybe someone knows. What versions of the DVD player app do you have. Can you check please.

Some DVDs actually just do not work with the DVD player in OSX. There are usually some workarounds, you would have to ask around on the forums. What DVDs cannot you play?

Jaguar will fix lot of things from what I read on the forums. Of course there are bugs in it, but they will be fixed soon after it is released. You might want to upgrade to Jag, I am pretty sure that your DVD troubles will go away. Yo have quite a new PowerBook, I do not think that you will have many issues with Jag.

Good Luck,

t

Mutant  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 16, 2002, 09:01 PM

Hey zOne81!

Thanks for a helpful reply!

Anyway, I've seen this behaviour on the following DVD's (at least) :

Red Planet
Mission to Mars
Aliens 3

amoung others. I'm running OS X 10.1.4, and DVD Player V3.0 with OS 9.2 if I reboot (of course, I'm using the native player under OS X).

I've seen this on my Cube as well as on my iMac.

I was't sure about the Jaquar / OS 9 boot restriction - can you provide a citation?

To date, I've only read the opposite, and I'm (as someone who travelled to Paris to purchase the OS X beta) a little concerned about what I've heard regarding boot restrictions going forward.

Yah, and to the troll accusers (forgot the names), I'm an old time Unix hack - I worked at Bell Labs in the early 80's, have a very solid Unix background, and have used Macs over PC's for quite a while now.

Please stop the name calling - it doens't add value, and helps nobody who is genuinely interested in information.

If I didn't provide enough information to answer my query I apologise, but name calling ("troll") helps nobody. Got it?

Thanks for all your help - take care!

M
TiBook (400Mhz, 256MB, 30GB, Airport) / iMac 350 (350Mhz, 384MB, 4B, AIrport) / iMac DV+ (450Mhz, 320MB, 20GB, Airport) / PowerMac 5500/275 (64MB, 20GB) / Mac TV / Mac SE / iPod (5GB) / iPaq 3850 / Sony AIBO (just for fun)

DaveGee
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 16, 2002, 09:04 PM

Originally posted by t_hah:
DaveGee please read the whole post before sending in your reply. The person has lot of info in his sig...
Due to some really annoying sigs I've turned off the display of sigs for all messages... (really nice feature of this new board btw) Makes for a much better display/read too... So in this case I guess it's my bad... but the person should have still said what DVD they had problems with.

Mutant  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 16, 2002, 09:23 PM

Hey

Thanks t_hah for your helpful comments - I appreciate it.

I'll definitely make sure I'm using the OSX DVD player (thought I was, but worth a check anyways).

The three DVDs I mentioned are a start; I've seen this on maybe six or so more.

Has anyone else seen this behaviour? I have to admit, I didn't really care until and was quite happy rebooting into OS 9 until I saw news headlines about Apple restricting OS 9 boot in 'Jaq.

So is this really OS dependant behaviour, or DVD specific? Puzzeling, since some of my affected DVD's are brand new and shrinkwrapped.

Let me know what you folks have experienced.

I don't mind keeping an iMac around running OS 9 for DVDs if I have to. I've got one - an iMac DVD+ with subwoofer that I can't really get a good eBay on any longer - I'm just curious, thats all.

Take care

M

Anyway...I might be wrong but it sound like you might be confusing some things on your Mac. There can be more than one DVD player programs on your Mac. I am suspecting that you have one in Classic, and one in OSX. I am not sure what the -36 error is, maybe someone knows. What versions of the DVD player app do you have. Can you check please.

Some DVDs actually just do not work with the DVD player in OSX. There are usually some workarounds, you would have to ask around on the forums. What DVDs cannot you play?

Jaguar will fix lot of things from what I read on the forums. Of course there are bugs in it, but they will be fixed soon after it is released. You might want to upgrade to Jag, I am pretty sure that your DVD troubles will go away. Yo have quite a new PowerBook, I do not think that you will have many issues with Jag.

Good Luck,

t

philzilla
Occasionally Useful
Aug 16, 2002, 09:24 PM

Originally posted by DaveGee:
I've turned off the display of sigs for all messages...
maybe that's why you can't see that yours doesn't work properly? why do you even have one now? interesting...

i'm gonna get Hanks to make me one that says "DaveGee Chugs Man Chowder" on it
"Have sharp knives. Be creative. Cook to music" ~ maxelson

Cory Bauer
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 16, 2002, 09:26 PM

Mutant,

Run your Mac OS X Software Update over and over again until it tells you there are no more software updates. You say you're running 10.1.4, so I know you're behind on more than one update, and I remember some DVD player updates a while back, so if that's amongst the updates you don't have, it could possibly solve your problem. If not, it certainly won't hurt to update your software anyhow.

Btw, you should have DVD Player 3.1.1 in Mac OS X.
-Cory Bauer
[email protected]
http://www.sboobtv.com

The Dude
Banned
Aug 16, 2002, 09:28 PM

Originally posted by philzilla:

maybe that's why you can't see that yours doesn't work properly? why do you even have one now? interesting...

i'm gonna get Hanks to make me one that says "DaveGee Chugs Man Chowder" on it
SIR, AT YOUR SERVICE, SIR!

TheMosco
Mac Elite
Aug 16, 2002, 09:54 PM

Do you have an Apple store around that you can test your dvds in 10.2? The DVD player in 10.2 is verion 3.2.

BTW, Jaguar will boot into OS 9 as far as i know. I think you are mixing things up. The retail package of jaguar does not include a bootable version of 9 but if you have your own copy, that should work.

Mutant  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 16, 2002, 10:11 PM

Nah, ain't no Apple Store (that I know of that is! here in London - I'm an ex-pat New Yorker and plan to hit Apples SOHO store up big time when I visit Maw next December) .

Anyway, thanks much for clarification on my misconception about 'Jaq and OS 9; I don't care much if the OS X DVD player is unstable on certain DVDs if my iMac can still boot OS 9. And hopefully the 'Jaq DVD player will be solid.

Thanks again folks for all the helpful posts!

Take care

M

Originally posted by TheMosco:
Do you have an Apple store around that you can test your dvds in 10.2? The DVD player in 10.2 is verion 3.2.

BTW, Jaguar will boot into OS 9 as far as i know. I think you are mixing things up. The retail package of jaguar does not include a bootable version of 9 but if you have your own copy, that should work.

godzookie2k
Mac Elite
Aug 16, 2002, 10:12 PM

I know what your problem is. See, OSX's dvd player has a built in 'You Can Only Watch Good Movies On Me' Filter that will make it just *not* play bad movies. My recommendation would be for you to buy some _good_ movies if you want to play movies in X.

ok ok ok . funny hah hah.

Yes, break out sofware update in your system prefs under the apple menu and update it until it says that there are no more updates. there was a dvd player update after the 10.1.5 update in january, may, sometime a few months ago. iirc. So, update and update some more (a few restarts may be required) and then come on back if they are not working. if after the updates they aren't working hold down the apple-option-Y-C-O-W-G-M-O- and M keys as well as page up while starting up the osx dvd player to disable the 'You Can Only Watch Good Movies On Me' Filter temporarily. I'd bet dollars to doughnuts (media damage aside) that it'll solve your problems. (sw update that is )

pdot
Senior User
Aug 17, 2002, 01:44 AM

I get this problem every once in a while. I just quit dvd player, eject the disk, blow on it and the DVD tray, reinsert the disk and it works. I think it's a problem with the DVD player app. Very annoying indeed.
Current: XPC SB81P, 3GHz P4, 1GB RAM; Compaq Presario V2410US, Turion 64 ML-30, 512MB RAM
Previous: Sawtooth G4/400 448MB RAM
ATI Radeon 8500 64MB - flashed variant
OS X 10.3.141592653589793238462643383279502884197169399 37510
Future: 13" Widescreen Powerbook, Core Duo Intel

OreoCookie
Aug 17, 2002, 04:47 AM

I have watched Red Planet under X. Worked perfectly. No complaints.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

edddeduck
Mac Elite
Aug 17, 2002, 12:15 PM

I would like to add I had a fews films that had trouble in OS X 10.1.5 (Dogma region 1 Special Edition & The return of the god of gamblers) they both quit with the same error message as above.

In OS X 10.2 Jaguar they both play fine.

Hope this helps (or gives you hope)

Cheers Edwin

drjoe
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 17, 2002, 12:21 PM

t
And all of it virtually certain to be lies. This at least has the virtue of coming from a NEW TROLL, instead of an old worn down troll. I can create a sig with anything in it I want. Another crypto-mac-hate surfaces. Tell them to get lost.

pilauh
Forum Regular
Aug 17, 2002, 12:25 PM

uncheck the "no sci-fi movies" box... that might help !

late 2001 iBook (combo drive)
384MB, 20GB
OS X 10.2.4
Harman/Kardon SoundSticks

Todd Madson
Mac Elite
Aug 17, 2002, 01:21 PM

I've got about 40 DVDs and my wife has probably an equal amount.

I've had BAD DVD's where they wouldn't play in the computer or
were marginal but would play in a hardware player.

I went to the store with the receipt, got an exchange and the swapped
disc plays fine.

Remember, DVDs are media like CD's. It's possible to get a defective
one once in a while.

Gul Banana
Mac Elite
Aug 17, 2002, 01:40 PM

Originally posted by drjoe:

And all of it virtually certain to be lies. This at least has the virtue of coming from a NEW TROLL, instead of an old worn down troll. I can create a sig with anything in it I want. Another crypto-mac-hate surfaces. Tell them to get lost.
What on earth are you talking about? Mutant has been very polite, grateful for the help he has received, certainly sounds like a mac user, and has not made any statements even implying troillish things. He was misinformed about the ability to boot into OS 9, which is not surprising as Cnet, eweek and others have been spreading disinformation about this.. and that's all. Why you and DaveGee are so immediately hostile to him I cannot fathom.
[vash:~] banana% killall killall
Terminated

DaveGee
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 17, 2002, 05:23 PM

Originally posted by Gul Banana:
Why you and DaveGee are so immediately hostile to him I cannot fathom.
At the time I made my initial post here is what I had to go by... ONE SINGLE MESSAGE!

-----
So I 've got more than one DVD that won't play under OS X (DVD Player crashes with -36 error), but otherwise work fine under OS 9. What am I doing wrong? Any suggestions?
-----

No indication what build of OS X or what machine or what DVD he was having probems with. Yea I later found some of this stuff was in the sig but I don't see sigs as I later explained.

-----
Most importantly, why should I upgrade if Jaquar won't allow an OS 9 boot, and my DVDs don't work in X? FTS!
-----

Okay now as per the poster what is most important is that 'Jaquar ' won't allow OS 9 to boot... Not only is this wrong but the way it was written it makes it seem like this is the word of God errr Jobs.

He didn't say DOES JAG ALLOW OS 9 BOOTING?
He said JAG WONT ALLOW OS 9 BOOTING!

Sorry but the last thing we need is someone stating BS as FACT... Trolls are famous for doing that around here.

-----
Thanks for your help! Would like to update to 'Jaq, but can't as it stands now.
-----

This too sure sounds like a troll... Why make a statement like that without 1st giving a SINGLE TRUE REASON why you can't. He is having trouble with 10.1.x DVD playing. (nothing to do with Jag may or may not be fixed in Jag he doesn't even know and without a list of DVDs that aren't working nobody else could have checked) He also incorectly stated jag won't boot into 9. (totally untrue).

So After reading that 1st message where it ended with... "F*CK THIS SH1T... Thanks for your help! Would like to update to 'Jaq, but can't as it stands now."

The very 1st thing that came to mind was troll...

Dave

el lindo
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 17, 2002, 06:21 PM

Mutant  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 18, 2002, 08:11 AM

Hey Cory!

Thanks for the suggestion; after I upgraded to 10.1.5, the player seemed more robust. I've only had the time to try one of the DVDs I've had problems with, but it seems fine now.

Curious; I already had DVD Player 3.1.1., but OS X 10.1.4. I'm not sure when I upgraded the player since I hadn't used the iMac a lot until just recently (I purchased a new flat, a real fixer upper ] and between DIY, work and University had absolutely no time or place in the flat for desktop machines).

Anyhow, thanks again for the helpful reply.

Take care

M

Originally posted by Cory Bauer:
Mutant,

Run your Mac OS X Software Update over and over again until it tells you there are no more software updates. You say you're running 10.1.4, so I know you're behind on more than one update, and I remember some DVD player updates a while back, so if that's amongst the updates you don't have, it could possibly solve your problem. If not, it certainly won't hurt to update your software anyhow.

Btw, you should have DVD Player 3.1.1 in Mac OS X.

mrchin
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 18, 2002, 08:58 AM

As for the Jag and 9 thing. Jaguar will not ship with a copy of 9 because Apple knows that pretty much everyone that's gettting it will either have a new computer that already has 9.2.2 or have 9.2.2 previously from the initial X release.

Anyone else who has an older machine with only something like 8.6 or earlier should probably think about getting a new machine soon. It might be a little slow with X. Anyway, I believe Apple will be offering a 19.95 purchase of 9 online to those who purchase Jag and need a copy of 9.
Dual 2.0 G5/2.5GB/ATI 9800 Pro | MacBook Pro 2.16 Gore Duo/2GB/ATI X1600

TheMosco
Mac Elite
Aug 18, 2002, 11:32 AM

Originally posted by mrchin:
As for the Jag and 9 thing. Jaguar will not ship with a copy of 9 because Apple knows that pretty much everyone that's gettting it will either have a new computer that already has 9.2.2 or have 9.2.2 previously from the initial X release.

Anyone else who has an older machine with only something like 8.6 or earlier should probably think about getting a new machine soon. It might be a little slow with X. Anyway, I believe Apple will be offering a 19.95 purchase of 9 online to those who purchase Jag and need a copy of 9.

Jaguar does come with a copy of OS 9 on the restore disk. You can install classic, you just cant boot from it.

Forum Links
Forum Rules