Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Art & Graphic Design > Region 0 DVD?

Region 0 DVD?
Mutant
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 19, 2002, 12:32 PM

Anyone know what it is?

About a month ago I took a brief holiday and, like I usually do, took my PowerBook and a pile of DVDs so I'd have something to watch in the evening (I'm not gonna pay for a hotel room, then pay again for a movie!).

Anyway, shortly before I left I purchased a bunch of John Wayne movies on DVD, three movies on each for ten pounds - pretty good deal!

While I was perusing the box art, I noticed it clearly says 'REGION: 0'.

Is this some kind of universal DVD, playable in any region? Or does the 'REGION' text not refer to the DVD Region code (which, AFAIK, is mapped as 1-US, 2-UK, etc up to six).

Just curious - they played fine!

Take care
TiBook (400Mhz, 256MB, 30GB, Airport) / iMac 350 (350Mhz, 384MB, 4B, AIrport) / iMac DV+ (450Mhz, 320MB, 20GB, Airport) / PowerMac 5500/275 (64MB, 20GB) / Mac TV / Mac SE / iPod (5GB) / iPaq 3850 / Sony AIBO (just for fun)

tr
Mac Elite
Aug 19, 2002, 05:12 PM

yeah, region 0 means it has no region coding. you can play region 0 discs anywhere.

just looking up some info on DVD regions, did you know there are 8 regions, not 6? one site i saw said region 7 is unused, while region 8 is for airlines and cruise ships...that's news to me!

tr

Forum Links
Forum Rules