Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Worst Broken Tech Stories?

Worst Broken Tech Stories?
JoshuaZ
Professional Poster
Jan 17, 2007, 08:20 PM

Anyone have some good `I did somethign stupid and broke my gadget` stories?

In my own personal life....

#1) A college friend of mine bought a brand new iBook and a nice new waterproof backpack to carry it around in during his communte. At the end of his first week of owning the iBook he stuck a bottle of water in the backpack. The bottle came open at some point during his commute. The waterproof backpack held that water in and let his iBook soak. Needless to say Apple did not cover it under the warrenty.

#2) A girl I know in Japan was climbing Mt. Fuji at night with a bunch of friends. She stopped to use one of the primitive bathrooms on the way up (yes, they have snack carts and restrooms on the top of fuji), and managed to drop both her iPod, still playing, and her flashlight into the deep dark pit of the bathroom toilet. She later confessed that had she still had her flashloght, she probably would have tried to get it out.

#3) While back in college a room mate of mine had bought a new iPod, 3rd gen, and used it in his car. One day he left it in his car... in the middle of summer. In Minnesota. Where it got over 100 degrees. The poor thing looked a bit warped and never turned on again. He would later blame Apple for making bad products and was ranting about getting his money back, to which I reminded him that every other plastic object in his car had also melted, so he`d better call up the music industry to get his money back on those CDs he had left in there.

Just thought I`d share in the memories.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Jan 17, 2007, 08:58 PM

Well, this didn't break the ever-invincible iPod mini, but I was listening to mine shoveling snow today and slipped on ice and landed on it. Marvelously, it still plays fine. Its slipped out of its case before onto concrete without skipping a beat several times now. I'm Proud Of It®.

Edit: My back hurts now.

SSharon
Professional Poster
Jan 17, 2007, 09:10 PM

While closing an external HD enclosure I put a screw through one of the power cables. I figured it out a few weeks later and fixed it, but it was close.
AT&T iPhone 5S and 6; 13" MBP; MDD G4.

Sub
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 17, 2007, 09:44 PM

I miss my mini, they really were indestructable.

During track last year I ran a warmup with it and left it beside my backpack when I was going to sprint, a shotput guy threw a shotput about 20 feet in the air, and it landed on the exact space on the mini where there was only wires. It worked fine, but, you know the nano was out and I sold the parts to my mini on ebay to help get a white 4GB Nano. I loved it, but the damn thing broke when I dropped it down 2 stairs... I still have it, it plays music, but the screen is shattered.

I let my friend from HS borrow my 12" Powerbook during the school day, the dumbass crammed it into my locker so when I opened it up the thing fell flat on the screen, it was in sleep mode so it worked fine, but the screen now closes and pushes all the keys on the keyboard down. This was a few months ago, and I don't think a macbook would have made it, but I still want one.

I don't usually have bad luck with computers or iPods, these were just misfortunes, but thet don't stop me from loving them at all. I don't get angry when stuff like this happens.. I don't call apple and demand service because stuff like this happenes.. You drop a few vinyls down the stairs and you're not gonna call Rhino and ask for new ones.

Thanks for reading.

( Last edited by Sub; Jan 25, 2007 at 06:31 PM. )

hadocon
Mac Elite
Jan 17, 2007, 10:33 PM

I dropped my Newton 2k in the toilet while I was taking a study-break piss whilst studying. I let itt it dry off for about a year then turned it on, and BAM! all may data was still there!
20+ year MacNN forum member. MacBook Air 11" 1.6Ghz 4GB 128GB Backlit Keyboard, 4S, iPad Mini

ghporter
Administrator
Jan 17, 2007, 11:04 PM

Fortunately this was one I fixed, not caused. I was working in a commercial radio shop and got an "odd" broken radio. It was a Motorola MT500 (a kick butt radio in the day) and the front was...well... melted. The story was that the user had it in his back pocket when he went to the men's to take a dump, and when he dropped his pants, he dumped the radio into the toilet.

I took it apart and soaked everything but the (very dead) battery in alcohol-then washed my hands a lot! After scoping things out, I wound up replacing the main circuit board, the front plastic, the battery contacts and circuits, and a few other components. Basically I rebuilt about 75% of the radio. But when I got done it WORKED GREAT. And I have NEVER put a phone, radio. iPod or any other electronic gadget in my back pocket since!

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Goldfinger
Professional Poster
Jan 18, 2007, 04:02 AM

I can't say I've had anything horrible happen to one of my electronic gadgets. I once had a hard drive that died on me.

My current Sony amp is a POS, it hums and it lets the speakers pop if you turn it off (not always) and sometimes the center channel cuts out. It's been in for repair twice but they didn't really fix it. It's a power supply issue if you ask me. Now that it's out of warranty I'm not bothering anymore. I'm saving up for a new Pioneer or Denon. The guy at the rapair shop told me: Sony is great untill they break. Once they've been broken they'll die on you over and over again.

iMac 20" C2D 2.16 | Acer Aspire One | Flickr

brokecollegestudentF04
Banned
Jan 18, 2007, 04:15 AM

I was 15.. it was 3 am and i was working on an old 386SX to make me my first real computer i could call my own.. I got it all back together.. finished up the windows 95 install 4MB ram/80MB HD.. I forgot to screw the video card down so when I went to move the computer the video card popped out of its slot.. Poof fried the motherboard and video card.. Boy i felt bad..

JoshuaZ  (op)
Professional Poster
Jan 19, 2007, 12:59 AM

As if she knew I posted this thread....

One of my co-workers was working on her old clam shell iBook, and was drinking a big class of water. Spilled the entire thing on her iBook. The poor little thing....

Mithras
Professional Poster
Jan 19, 2007, 09:32 AM

There was the guy who dropped his iPod into the airplane toilet, and then was arrested on suspicion of terrorism...

Here:
WoW Forums -> I played WoW, I became a terrorist (story!)

alligator
Mac Elite
Jan 19, 2007, 09:45 AM

I washed my Motorola Razr in the washing machine. It was really clean and eventually worked when dry. The only thing that didn't work was the sim card.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Jan 19, 2007, 11:56 AM

I once accidentally put a Mac Mini into my blender...

Person Man
Professional Poster
Jan 19, 2007, 12:37 PM

Originally Posted by besson3c View Post
I once accidentally put a Mac Mini into my blender...
How big was the freakin' blender??

Forum Links
Forum Rules