Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > 10.5 Install Options Polls

View Poll Results: 10.5 Install Option
Poll Options:
Erase and Install 61 votes (56.48%)
Archive and Install 22 votes (20.37%)
Upgrade Install 25 votes (23.15%)
Voters: 108. You may not vote on this poll
10.5 Install Options Polls (Page 2)
Art Vandelay
Professional Poster
Oct 19, 2007, 11:54 AM

Yes, Archive and Install isn't just preserving Accounts or Network settings. It also preserves 3rd party apps, printers, etc.
Vandelay Industries

Simon
Posting Junkie
Oct 19, 2007, 01:13 PM

If moves /Library and /System out of the way. Where then are those preserved 3rd party apps?

Art Vandelay
Professional Poster
Oct 19, 2007, 01:18 PM

It does not move all of the contents of /Library and /Applications out of the way.

Have a look here to see all that is preserved.
Vandelay Industries

Kenneth
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 19, 2007, 01:22 PM

I plan to do a full backup over the weekend and then a clean install of Leopard.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Oct 19, 2007, 02:45 PM

Originally Posted by Art Vandelay View Post
It does not move all of the contents of /Library and /Applications out of the way.

Have a look here to see all that is preserved.
Actually, that document specifically states taking over users and network settings is optional with A&I.

Art Vandelay
Professional Poster
Oct 19, 2007, 02:50 PM

I never said it wasn't an option.

You asked what the difference is between Erase & Install and Archive & Install w/o Network & Users. I told you the difference. I'm not sure why we're still going back and forth over this. I believe there is a communication problem here.
Vandelay Industries

nikstar101
Oct 19, 2007, 03:49 PM

I will go for the Erase and Install as all my Apps and Files (except for the OS) are on a different hard drive therefore i doesn't really make that much difference. Although i will probably spend an hour or so setting up the user accounts again.

Nik

Simon
Posting Junkie
Oct 20, 2007, 02:23 AM

Originally Posted by Art Vandelay View Post
You asked what the difference is between Erase & Install and Archive & Install w/o Network & Users. I told you the difference. I'm not sure why we're still going back and forth over this. I believe there is a communication problem here.
There's no problem. I'm simply trying to understand why somebody would chose E&I over A&I. From what I can see now there are options to make A&I behave pretty much just like E&I. I'm curious to know if there are exceptions. If you tell A&I to not take over users and network settings what is left? All I can think of now are third-party apps in /Applications and stuff in /Library/Application Support. Anything else?

Art Vandelay
Professional Poster
Oct 20, 2007, 03:08 AM

That's pretty much it and the few other things mentioned in the technote. Erase & Install gets you a pristine system. If that's what you want, E&I is the way to go. Also, A&I doesn't bring over all 3rd party stuff, so you might still have to reinstall 3rd party items anyway.
Vandelay Industries

tonewheel
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 20, 2007, 04:47 PM

I just viewed the new Leopard Guided Tour, posted by Apple this week. The installation procedure they show indicates no options but the installation procedure presented on the install DVD. Any thoughts on this? Are you all CERTAIN that there will be the usual install options that we're used to?

Professional Poster
Oct 20, 2007, 04:49 PM

Of course. They can't ONLY have an erase and install or ONLY an Upgrade and Install.

Art Vandelay
Professional Poster
Oct 20, 2007, 05:18 PM

Watch the tour and you'll see the Options button on the screen where you select the destination. That's where you select the type of install. Upgrade is the default.
Vandelay Industries

shinji
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 20, 2007, 08:10 PM

Backing up my Tiger install to the hd that came with this and erase/install for Leopard on my raptor. That way if something happens, I can just boot from the Tiger hd. Hopefully.

macgyvr64
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 21, 2007, 12:57 AM

Originally Posted by JoshuaZ View Post
Hmm... the new version does NOT include the new version of iLife. So I guess I'll do an Erase and Install off my original install DVD, and then do an upgrade. Otherwise I have no way of installing the iLife 08. For shame Apple. For shame.
FYI, I'll bet you could do an Erase and Install with 10.5, then install the iLife 08 packages off your older DVD to avoid doing an Upgrade install. A little digging inside the files on the old DVD should turn them up -- they'll be pretty clearly labeled once you get into the right folder (probably iLife08.mpkg or something along that line).

JoshuaZ  (op)
Professional Poster
Oct 21, 2007, 11:37 AM

Originally Posted by macgyvr64 View Post
FYI, I'll bet you could do an Erase and Install with 10.5, then install the iLife 08 packages off your older DVD to avoid doing an Upgrade install. A little digging inside the files on the old DVD should turn them up -- they'll be pretty clearly labeled once you get into the right folder (probably iLife08.mpkg or something along that line).
I was wondering about that today. I'll give that a shot, and if that doesn't work, I'll just do a full install off the old DVD and upgrade. No problem, as I'll be getting it a full day before most of you! Muh ha ha ha! Times zones are fun.

Art Vandelay
Professional Poster
Oct 21, 2007, 11:55 AM

I already mentioned earlier that you don't have to do any special tricks to install iLife from an older DVD bundled with a Mac. There is a separate installer on the DVD that allows you to only install the bundled apps.
Vandelay Industries

robban
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 21, 2007, 04:51 PM

Disks nowadays aren't what they used to be so it's a good habit to replace the system disk when the new system arrive, which is about 18 months. I keep the old disk in computer while the old old-one (now 36 months and rather small) will go to the archive at my fathers house. I always make a low level format (zero data) and a new install.

Upgrade works very well if you haven't messed with the system but as I start with a new disk and have the old in the side car I try to just move the important things. I also try to move some other new things to the archival disk.

JustinHorne
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 21, 2007, 05:18 PM

What's the difference between upgrade and A&I?

Professional Poster
Oct 21, 2007, 05:20 PM

Simon
Posting Junkie
Oct 22, 2007, 12:35 AM

Originally Posted by JustinHorne View Post
What's the difference between upgrade and A&I?
A&I keeps a copy of your old system around. Upgrade doesn't.

Kevin
Baninated
Oct 22, 2007, 02:44 AM

I think I will back up to my old lady's XP box, then archive and install both.

Right now I am installing a *cough* dev build on a second hard drive just to get to themeing it right so when the final comes out I will have most already done.

zerock
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 22, 2007, 06:13 AM

As much as i want to just upgrade. I got to clean house. So a clean install it is.

SamGuy
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 22, 2007, 04:00 PM

Originally Posted by osiris View Post
I'll install it on a second drive, then migrate my current user over.
I have my computer cloned to an external HD. can I erase and install on my internal HDD then migrate from the external HDD? if i do that, how will that differ from simply upgrading? (save reformatting)

Forum Links
Forum Rules