Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Powerbook 667, HOT!!!! - What should I do?

Powerbook 667, HOT!!!! - What should I do?
SpinCycle
Forum Regular
Oct 30, 2001, 02:15 PM

I received the 667MHz powerbook last week and I must say, I am getting dissapointed in the heat is produces. I have it propped up in a similar fasion to the CoolPad but the fan never goes off and will sometimes lock up after a while of use because of the heat.

Also when plugging in the power adapter in while in use it gets even hotter.

My power adapter's shiny metal outside has slid off of the connector.. So that is broken now, the adhesive that held it on probably quit due to the heat.

I love this thing but I don't know what to do now, the heat is driving me crazy.

SpinCycle

[ 10-30-2001: Message edited by: SpinCycle ]

<jasper>
Oct 30, 2001, 02:43 PM

sounds like a problem-

with my new 667:

the case never gets more than very warm-
the power plug gets only lukewarm-
my fan is on only about 25%-30% of the time-

fulmer
Professional Poster
Oct 30, 2001, 03:14 PM

call apple and find out. Make sure you act quickly to resolve any issues b/c the warranty (absent AppleCare) isn't the greatest, and free tech phone support does stay free for long.

Colonel Panic
Senior User
Oct 30, 2001, 03:52 PM

Unfortunately it sounds like a problem. My 667's fan rarely comes on, especially if I'm using it properly (i.e. keeping it on a hard surface so that there is room for air to circulate underneath.).

This includes some pretty heavy use - processor intensive stuff and dvd-drive stuff as well.

All in all, I'm surprised at how cool this thing runs. Definitely cooler than my friends Ti500.

jwtseng
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 1, 2001, 12:44 AM

I have just seen the Titanium 400, 500 and 667 side by side by side at my local Apple Retail Store, and I have to say that I am very impressed by what Apple has done with the heat distribution in the 667 model. The old 400, 500 models seemed almost too hot to touch in the bottom rear right corner under the power button. But the 667 was only warm to the touch and the warmth seemed evenly distributed along the bottom rear of the entire unit. Good improvement.

Forum Links
Forum Rules