Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Networking > Able to connect to AT&T via BT& V600 but couldnt browse

Able to connect to AT&T via BT& V600 but couldnt browse
just_switched
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 15, 2005, 12:21 PM

I am able to connect via my BT to AT&T via my Motorola V600 phone but couldnt browse any site. I went to Cingular(previously AT&T wireless)'s site and got the setup instruction and now it connects just fine. The key was to use the "Null Modem". Once I am connected, when I click on "Summary" on the "Internet Connect", and click on "Bluetooth" I see the send bar going up and down but not hte receive.

If I could set this up in the next 2 days, it would be great as I am planning to remote login to my work.

Forgot to mention - I was able to browse fine when it was Panther. I am not sure if Tiger has to anything to do with this.

Can someone help???

thanks

Mahesh

just_switched  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 20, 2005, 02:16 PM

- looks like this site gets no visit as most of the threads are hardly "viewed" and even the ones that have any replies have just one or two. I guess I am going to stop coming to this site anymore......

Originally Posted by just_switched
I am able to connect via my BT to AT&T via my Motorola V600 phone but couldnt browse any site. I went to Cingular(previously AT&T wireless)'s site and got the setup instruction and now it connects just fine. The key was to use the "Null Modem". Once I am connected, when I click on "Summary" on the "Internet Connect", and click on "Bluetooth" I see the send bar going up and down but not hte receive.

If I could set this up in the next 2 days, it would be great as I am planning to remote login to my work.

Forgot to mention - I was able to browse fine when it was Panther. I am not sure if Tiger has to anything to do with this.

Can someone help???

thanks

Mahesh

ghporter
Administrator
Jun 20, 2005, 07:42 PM

Woah! That's pretty harsh from someone who expects an answer to what is apparently a pretty hard question in less than two hours. The number of "views" on threads really has little to do with how much traffic a forum has over a day or two.

In any case, Cingular's takeover of the old AT&T wireless has not been seamless. For example, I stopped being able to send text messages through email because they changed some servers. It took them WEEKS to straighten that out. I think that your problem may be related to that too. In other words, it's not you, it's them. Have you tried contacting their customer service to see if there's something up (that they'll admit to)?

Finally, this situation is in a kind of gray area in terms of whether it's a "networking" problem or a "peripherals" problem; Bluetooth device issues are specifically supposed to be in the Peripherals forum, but the problem you're having with the device is networking in nature... Anyway, try looking through the past several weeks of the Peripherals forum to see if other people have run into similar problems, and you may find some help there as well.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

just_switched  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 20, 2005, 09:05 PM

Not under 2 hours - in 5 days. Believe me, this is not the first forum I am exposed to or the first time I am asking a question.

Thanks for the response anyway.

ghporter
Administrator
Jun 20, 2005, 09:21 PM

Sorry, I looked at the time and not the date.

The only thing I got out of the V600 manual was that it seemed to be up to the computer's application how it used the phone through a Bluetooth link. What does your Mac say about the "Bluetooth modem" that your phone should look like?

I also went through the setup help provided on the "former AT&T phones" page. Are you using the D-Link device or built in Bluetooth to connect your Mac? Also, a "null modem" is simply a device that connects the send lines to the receive lines-if you told your Mac you were using a null modem, you aren't really connecting to anything, which would explain why you have a send indicator but no receive indicator.
( Last edited by ghporter; Jun 20, 2005 at 09:28 PM. )

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

just_switched  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 20, 2005, 10:20 PM

When I talked to a guy in AT&T, who sounded well-informed, it appeared that my settings were not all that correct. He made me point to yet another Motorola phone - forgot the model number and according to him that technique along with few other changes to the settings resolved this issue for many and unfortunately I am not in that list.

Thought there would be some successful ones out here ... The pity is this was working when I had Panther.......

M

Forum Links
Forum Rules