Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Just Ordered New Ti - How Long to Ship

Just Ordered New Ti - How Long to Ship
SpinCycle
Forum Regular
Oct 16, 2001, 12:07 PM

Hello There,

I just ordered a new Ti at the AppleStore website. The site and the reps say 10 days until shipping. How does this sound to you all. Do you think it might ship early or be late?

SpinCycle

[ 10-16-2001: Message edited by: SpinCycle ]

redrockdes
Oct 16, 2001, 12:43 PM

My revised order is supposed to ship in 12 working days.

fulmer
Professional Poster
Oct 16, 2001, 12:51 PM

Order has est. 12 days to ship my 667 MHz/DVD/48G model.

SpinCycle  (op)
Forum Regular
Oct 16, 2001, 02:38 PM

How long does it take to go from the Being Reviewed stage to the building stage?

fulmer
Professional Poster
Oct 16, 2001, 04:08 PM

Originally posted by SpinCycle:
<STRONG>How long does it take to go from the Being Reviewed stage to the building stage?</STRONG>
probably varies. If there are problems between stages or that might keep an order stuck in one stage, then you'll see it just sitting there. This has happened to me before. On the other hand, if all is moving smoothly?parts and personnel in place, in time for a truck/plane ride to somewhere else, etc.?then you'd see your order zip through the process.
Being Reviewed sounds to me like it's on a list somewhere, either waiting to be assembled or otherwise assigned to be shipped (I imagine there are a very limited number that are ready to go today b/c they were built already).

SpinCycle  (op)
Forum Regular
Oct 17, 2001, 12:07 PM

Mine is in the Assembly stage right now.. I ordered it yesterday at 10:00 so I hope I will be one of the first ones to go out. My order has moved from In Review to Assembly to Review and back to Assembly again.. But I was told by apple that now that the card has been authorised I have no worry of having lost my place in line. I guess the CC wanted to talk to them personally being out of my normal spending habits.

Phanguye
Mac Elite
Oct 17, 2001, 03:28 PM

mine just moved into the assembly stage

<w9design>
Oct 17, 2001, 06:15 PM

Originally posted by Phanguye:
<STRONG>mine just moved into the assembly stage
</STRONG>
I ordered mine about 5PM EST on Tuesday, and it went to the assembly stage around 7PM that evening. How long should it stay at the assembly stage... I assume this stage encompasses everything after charging your credit card up to putting it in the shipping box.

Are the new 'books getting manufactured now? or will there be a delay in initial shipments?

Any and all insight is appreciated.

Nate

Colonel Panic
Senior User
Oct 17, 2001, 08:13 PM

are any of the books that are in the assembly stage 667s? I ordered mine around 10am EST on Tuesday. how far back in the queue can i be????

BRussell
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 17, 2001, 08:17 PM

The 700Mhz iMacs said 15 days for about two months before anyone got any. Just preparing you peeps for the worst.

<w9design>
Oct 17, 2001, 08:50 PM

Mine was the top-end 667, with the 48gb drive & 512MB.
It is at the assembly stage and has been there since tuesday night.

<phanguye>
Oct 19, 2001, 12:04 PM

mine just shipped

w00t w00t

Ryu
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 19, 2001, 12:29 PM

Originally posted by &lt;phanguye&gt;:
<STRONG>mine just shipped

w00t w00t</STRONG>

You're kidding, right? No???

Just make sure you send us some photos and benchmarks if you are the lucky one to get it before everyone.

Phanguye
Mac Elite
Oct 19, 2001, 12:34 PM

it really shipped... i got 2 day shipping 2 so it should get here monday... ill put up some benchmarks if not one else gets one before me
Phang

Colonel Panic
Senior User
Oct 19, 2001, 12:39 PM

Phanguye - which model?

Mine was bumped *back* to "reviewing". Damn.

SpinCycle  (op)
Forum Regular
Oct 19, 2001, 12:57 PM

Phanguye, What time did you order yours.. My Order Number is W2071669 is your number far from mine?

Colonel Panic, You should Call Apple at 800-My-Apple to see why that was.. They may need to verify some info with a credit card or etc.. I was glad I did. Got the process running again.

murbot
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 19, 2001, 01:18 PM

I ordered my 667/48GB/512MB PowerBook yesterday afternoon, and got a 12 day to delivery estimate.

It went from "Being Reviewed" to "Being Assembled" within 2 hours.

Of course you all realize that 12 days means 12 business days, right?

[edit - damn typos]

[ 10-19-2001: Message edited by: murbot ]

Colonel Panic
Senior User
Oct 19, 2001, 01:28 PM

SpinCycle - thanks. I did that and yes, there was a credit card issue. The card issuer apparently seeks verbal authotization for single charges above a certain size.
That's settled now. Apple said they were getting a lot of similar requests from that card issuer. Geesh - I recommended to Apple that they could really easily fix that by dropping the price a lot. They didn't seem to go for it.....

Bodhi
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 19, 2001, 03:25 PM

Just wondering why you guys buy from the Apple Store when you could order from Outpost or somewhere like that and save yourself hundreds in tax. You could buy the 48gb drive from Outpost, put the drive that comes in the Powerbook on eBay and save yourself around $300+ dollars.
~Peace~

<w9design>
Oct 19, 2001, 03:46 PM

Well firstly it'll likely come from apple sooner.
Secondly, there's something to be said for convenience. No need to reinstall OS9/X, etc... no need to go through the hassle that is eBay.
Also, tax was only about $190. And more importantly, the laptop went on the company credit card so it's really a non-issue.

SpinCycle  (op)
Forum Regular
Oct 19, 2001, 03:49 PM

I purchased it from the apple store online because I will probably be able to get my order quicker. I am assuming apple will be able to fill initial orders from their web site and shipping them directly instead of waiting for Outpost to fill their backorders.

But if I was looking for a good deal ClubMac has the best price.

PipelineStall
Oct 19, 2001, 04:15 PM

I purchased from the Apple Store because that's the only way Apple employees get employee discounts (at least on systems).

Danni
Oct 19, 2001, 04:28 PM

I ordered a 667 mhz one with the burner and 30 gig drive at about 8 EST on Oct 18. Today (Oct 19), I checked and it is being assembled. Seems like it is moving pretty fast to me. I remember other machines being on the review list for weeks. How long do they usually stay at the being assembled stage?

murbot
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 19, 2001, 04:41 PM

Originally posted by Bodhi:
<STRONG>Just wondering why you guys buy from the Apple Store when you could order from Outpost or somewhere like that and save yourself hundreds in tax. You could buy the 48gb drive from Outpost, put the drive that comes in the Powerbook on eBay and save yourself around $300+ dollars.</STRONG>
For me, being in Canada, it would be a real PITA to do that. If I was to get the cheapest drive (20 GB) put in with plans to replace it, I'd save $400 US.

Outpost sells the 20 GB IBM drives for $160, and the 48 GB drives for $430. So I would have $400 in my pocket to buy this $430 drive. I could probably sell the 20 GB drive for what, maybe $120 or something? Take the $30 I overpaid for the Outpost 48 GB drive, the eBay fees, and the shipping on the Outpost drive out of that $120, and there's not much left. There's also the removing and installing of drives, reinstalling the OSes, etc.

I guess maybe it's OK for you in the US, but up here there's not much use in doing that. We can't buy anywhere and not pay tax.

Plus, it'll be nice to get the PowerBook and just start using it. Can't wait

Bodhi
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 19, 2001, 05:14 PM

Resellers will begin to receive them early next week.
~Peace~

admac
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 19, 2001, 05:35 PM

my 667 already has a tracking number and has left taiwan last night. should be here monday i suspect. too bad i'll be working on monday and unless my roommate is here, it'll probably have to wait a day or two longer.

<Bullfrog184>
Oct 19, 2001, 07:32 PM

Anyone who has had their TiBook ship -

Could you please post your order number so that those of us not as quick to order can see where we stand in the lineup?

SpinCycle  (op)
Forum Regular
Oct 19, 2001, 07:48 PM

Yes, please do..

I tried to get someone to post, but I don't know if he/she has read the thread lately.

I ordered mine on 10/16 at 10:00 am or so.. my order number is W2071669. Not shipped yet though.

SpinCycle

Nate LFE
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 19, 2001, 08:46 PM

Order Date: 10/16/01
Order Number: W207379x
Order Status: Being Assembled
CPU PBG4/667/512-2/48G/DVD/AP/LL/LL

Just for the record, I'm the w9design that's been previously posting in this thread.

[ 10-19-2001: Message edited by: Nate LFE ]

Phanguye
Mac Elite
Oct 19, 2001, 09:23 PM

Web Order Number: W2071837
Order Date: 10/16/2001

Phang

bamboo flyfisher
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 19, 2001, 09:56 PM

Originally posted by Nate LFE:
<STRONG>Order Date: 10/16/01
Order Number: W207379x
Order Status: Being Assembled
CPU PBG4/667/512-2/48G/DVD/AP/LL/LL

Just for the record, I'm the w9design that's been previously posting in this thread.

[ 10-19-2001: Message edited by: Nate LFE ]</STRONG>
(eBay name=aangler)
Hey Nate, small world. Glad to see that you also ordered. I ordered a 550/256/30 CD-RW with Airport card on Wednesday morning and it was "being reviewed" until today when it went to "being assembled." My order number is W2076516. I can't wait!
As to a previous poster asking why not ordering from a discounter, two reasons. One, We don't pay sales tax here in Oregon, so it is a non-issue. And two, if you want a special configuration, like a CD-RW, you need to go to the source. Actually, With all the systems I've bought (back to the Mac Plus) this is the first time I've ordered directly from Apple. And, you know what? I'm happy to give them the mark-up on the deal instead of Mac Mall... (Ken Hintz)

SpinCycle  (op)
Forum Regular
Oct 19, 2001, 10:05 PM

Well, then I don't know if order numbers are really going to be a big deal in the "When to Ship" scheme. My number is a lesser number than Phanguye's, but maybe that is because he may have ordered something slightly different. I ordered the Stock 667, with 30Gig.

Nate LFE
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 19, 2001, 10:14 PM

Originally posted by bamboo flyfisher:
<STRONG>

(eBay name=aangler)
Hey Nate, small world. ... (Ken Hintz)</STRONG>
Yeah... hey Ken.... like you said, small world... I guess it all worked out for the better in the long run

admac
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 20, 2001, 04:37 AM

Web Order Number: W2072270

like i said, mine's already in the states in washington. should be delivered by monday.

scarab
Forum Regular
Oct 20, 2001, 06:26 AM

Could those who have received their new PBs check if the following issues have been fixed:

-optical drive alignment
-flickering screen
-battery position (some Rev As had loose batteries causing the machine to shut down when moved)

Thanks, and have fun!

rambo47
Mac Elite
Oct 20, 2001, 10:11 AM

Ah, life is good! The folks I work with are all wintel users. I'm the lone bastion of Apple support in a dreary windows world and I catch much flack for it, but that's o.k. I'm up for the challenge. They have been trying to buy me a laptop from Dell, but I stubbornly refuse. "Pick out any one you want," they keep insisting. "No thanks. Dell sucks," I reply. On Thursday they relented. On my desk was the confirm from the Apple Store for a new TiBook. 667 MHz, 512 MB RAM, 30 GB hdd, DVD.

On a side note, the senior partner of my firm has also just ordered an iBook. After hearing my rants against wintel on a daily basis and how I deflect all the anti-Macintosh crap I get, he figured there might be something to all this "Think Different" stuff. He's not a knowledgable computer guy at all, having trouble just rebooting after a freeze or illegal operation warning. When I showed him my iBook with AirPort he was impressed. My "Macs make this stuff so simple," really appealed to him.

The final kicker was when he upgraded from Win98 to WinME. It didn't go well at all, hardware not being recognized, software no longer functioning, and all the time him sitting there clueless. He went from, "How tough can a simple upgrade be?" to "Get somebody in here to fix this %@##$!@ piece of &*%^&% !!!" The consultant we use said, "Gee, sorry. Looks like you have a machine that just doesn't like ME. It happens sometimes." That one was just lobbed over the plate for me and I swung. "We Mac users don't see much of that kind of crap. Just plain bad engineering." With that I hit the F8 key on my iBook and brought up Outlook Express, checked 4 email accounts automatically, and showed the result to Steve (aformentioned senior partner).

cbr600f4
Forum Regular
Oct 20, 2001, 11:19 AM

Hey all,

I am so glad the revision finally showwed up. I have been on the road for my landscape architecture studio on and off this semester when I called Apple from one of our sites just to see if there might be a revision, and there was! All of my friends will have Dells on Monday leasing through the university and it will be great to know I will have my G4 soon.

Had a little bit of trouble with Apple over the price though. I ordered it through my schools website at a lower price than the standard education price and then Apple raised it again...then changed it back. Anyway they are pissed with me for calling so much, but I finally have it for the price that they advertised on the site.

While I am a little diappointed that there is no combo drive, I am happy with the speed boost to 667. I really have nothing to complain about, because Apple kept the lower prices!

Just hope the wait is less than it says.

Later,
Nick

iRebound
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 20, 2001, 01:40 PM

I ordered my 550 from MacMall on 10.16.01 @ 12:00 PM CST and I called them to check when they will have it in stock. They said November 15?!?!?

<Macsrule>
Oct 20, 2001, 02:25 PM

Albany Mac Store have both 48GB and 30GB 667 machines in stock .. I am heading down to get one now.. will let you know on performance..

fulmer
Professional Poster
Oct 20, 2001, 06:23 PM

Originally posted by &lt;Macsrule&gt;:
<STRONG>Albany Mac Store have both 48GB and 30GB 667 machines in stock .. I am heading down to get one now.. will let you know on performance.. </STRONG>
Dang. That 48G/667 machine is mine! Mine I tell you! Well, more sanely, I did order that config, and hopefully it'll get here quick.

schwei
Oct 20, 2001, 08:28 PM

For those interested in price comparison (educational) between the new crop of Ti and those available previously:

TiBook G4/400 with Airport, 1 512MB SO DIMM, and a 30GB HD, plus an extra adapter and extra battery, and 3 year AppleCare: $3524.00. (not including shipping or tax)

TiBook G4/667 with Airport, 2 256MB SO DIMMs and a 48GB HD, plus the same AppleCare, extra battery, and adding $75 for an extra adapter (ships later): $3624.00.

Note that the old price was for the slower model!!

As noted above, the only drawback with this config is that the 512MB RAM is the base config available from the Store via the BTO menus. But it beats installing it yourself. I ordered in the morning on day one. About 24 hrs. later Apple called to verify my shipping address (amex didn't have it on file).

I might also mention that since I ordered the AppleCare paperwork on the same invoice, the status has already advanced to Shipped. So I'll have to check in every day. I don't mind the wait since my amex billing period is about to close, and having an extra grace period always comes in handy.

Also, BTW, I ordered a Pro keyboard and a software bundle on a separate ticket; they came in 2 days!

will check back in to update status . . .

[ 10-20-2001: Message edited by: schwei ]
Mac evangelist since 1986

SpinCycle  (op)
Forum Regular
Oct 20, 2001, 08:37 PM

Just got the confirmation from Apple that my PowerBook has shipped. From Taoyuan City Taiwan even. Was shipped 14:09 on 10/20/2000 which was after their evening deadline (assuming time difference). Fedex says expected delivery date is Wednesday 10/24/01.

<macsrule>
Oct 20, 2001, 11:35 PM

I just got back from the Albany store with my new 667Mhz TiBook in hand and it rocks. The staff said that 30 cases of stock had arrived the day of announcement. It was not clear how many of these were actually the new PB's. The machine seems faster to me than my TiBook 500. It came with the double RAM and the new power supply I don't really like the new power supply). The graphics appear to be a bit more responsive. Also one more announcement made in the theater of the Albany store was that the Mac Office v.X will be on sale in the store on the 8th of November.

massey
Forum Regular
Oct 21, 2001, 12:07 AM

Originally posted by &lt;macsrule&gt;:
<STRONG>I just got back from the Albany store with my new 667Mhz TiBook in hand and it rocks. The staff said that 30 cases of stock had arrived the day of announcement. It was not clear how many of these were actually the new PB's. The machine seems faster to me than my TiBook 500. It came with the double RAM and the new power supply I don't really like the new power supply). The graphics appear to be a bit more responsive. Also one more announcement made in the theater of the Albany store was that the Mac Office v.X will be on sale in the store on the 8th of November. </STRONG>
how is the hard drive sound....the 30 gig is suppose to have the fluid bearing drives so they should be as quiet as the 48gig drives...

<macsrule>
Oct 21, 2001, 12:44 PM

Side by side with the 500 model I don't hear any difference

<mikey>
Oct 21, 2001, 01:10 PM

How hot is it ?

<macsrule>
Oct 21, 2001, 03:55 PM

I think it is running cooler than the 500 did. This is just based on "laptemp" of course but the bottom of the thing does not get as hot as the 500 model did.[/LIST]

cbr600f4
Forum Regular
Oct 21, 2001, 04:15 PM

Spincycle, what was your approximate order number? I would like to know how far back I am in line.

Thanks,
Nick

MacManDanT
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 21, 2001, 04:20 PM

Just got the 667 from Apple store in Illinois, let me know what benchmarks you guys want me to run and give me links to software I need to download to run them.... Prelimanary use has made me very happy with its performance. X.1 is very fast....

Phanguye
Mac Elite
Oct 21, 2001, 04:22 PM

get the altivec fractal test and see how many gigaflops that thing can put out... you can get it at versiontracker

Forum Links
Forum Rules