Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Developer Center > Hardcore ideas solicited for CDRW fix for Jag

Hardcore ideas solicited for CDRW fix for Jag
Glasspusher
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 18, 2002, 11:46 PM

I have an external Firewire CDRW with an LG CED8120B mechanism. It worked great under 10.1.2 to 10.1.5. It doesn't work under the first two iterations of Jag. Told apple about this, but looking in their Disc Recording Frameworks (whos location has moved from 10.1.5 to 10.2) I notice no difference in the LG file- the 8042 mech is mentioned but not the 8120B. I tried putting the 10.1.5 file in the 10.2 system, but no dice.

Does anyone know of any significant changes to the Disc Recording Framworks from 10.1.x to 10.2.x?

I'm not good enough to figure out any other approaches, but if one of you smart folks has an idea, I would be most grateful.

seb2
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 19, 2002, 04:28 AM

well, i was in a similar situation.

what i did was to find a burner that resembled mine from the same manufacturer and simply changed the name of the burner in the (previosuyl backuped!) deviceplugin.

voil�, burning from itunes and the finder worked fine.

no guarantee whatsoever, do at your own risk. -- and remember to make that backup!

Arkham_c
Mac Elite
Sep 19, 2002, 11:28 PM

You might try 10.2.1. It made my burner work again.
Mac Pro 2x 2.66 GHz Dual core, Apple TV 160GB, two Windows XP PCs

Glasspusher  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 20, 2002, 01:05 AM

THANK YOU SEB 2!

seb2 (above) suggested changing the string of a supported LG drive in the Disc Recording Frameworks plug ins to that of my allegedly unsupported drive. I had tried this once last year with 10.1, and it didn't work. Figuring I had nothing to lose I tried it again. Apple System Profiler said "fully supported" and I was able to burn no prob from the finder!

Moral: It never hurts to try if things don't work already.

seb, if you ever need a place to stay for MWSF or WWDC, mi casa es su casa. I'm 60km away. Tell me where to send the cookies (beer? pizza?)

Thanks again.

Dave

Forum Links
Forum Rules