Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Stuck pixels

Stuck pixels
Arch.
Forum Regular
Apr 5, 2003, 02:10 PM

All the rubbing that I did resulted in nothing. I am not sure what to do. The pixel is close to the center of the screen and it is really bright red. Mostly everything that I have run so far(different colors-applications) have had the one stuck pixel in them. What should I do? Would apple fix something like this? What kind of turn around can I expect?

seanyepez
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 5, 2003, 04:40 PM

Apple will not fix your computer for a single stuck pixel.

claughery
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 5, 2003, 05:28 PM

Is it a 17er?
Dual 1.8 G5, 23" cinema oldschool, PB 1.5 ghz 12" SD, iBook 1.07 Ghz, mac mini 1.42, iPod mini, iPod photo 40gb, SE K700i

nobitacu
Mac Elite
Apr 5, 2003, 05:35 PM

Sorry man... Apple will not fix it for just one single stuck pixel...

Ming
A Proud Mac User Since: 03/24/03
Apple Computer: MacBook 2.0GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 3 GB Memory, 120 GB HD

NightEyes
Forum Regular
Apr 5, 2003, 05:52 PM

Where did you buy it? Your reseller might be sympathetic and exchange it for you if you complain really loudly about the location of the bad pixel.

Good luck.

Arch.  (op)
Forum Regular
Apr 5, 2003, 07:00 PM

I certainly hope that they will do something. Its bright red and in the middle of my screen. Yes it is a 17"er. This is really depressing. I have to take it in on monday to have it looked at.......

Patcarla
Mac Elite
Apr 5, 2003, 07:15 PM

Originally posted by Arch.:
I certainly hope that they will do something. Its bright red and in the middle of my screen. Yes it is a 17"er. This is really depressing. I have to take it in on monday to have it looked at.......
let us know if they're willing to replace it because that would be a first..
Powerbook 1.67ghz 15" (100GB HD, 128MB VRAM, 1.5GB RAM)

Arch.  (op)
Forum Regular
Apr 5, 2003, 09:32 PM

Is it foolish to expect a product with no distracting flaws after paying a lot of money and waiting for two and a half months? I just dont understand the logic.

PowerTower Fan
Apr 5, 2003, 09:45 PM

Originally posted by Arch.:
Is it foolish to expect a product with no distracting flaws after paying a lot of money and waiting for two and a half months? I just dont understand the logic.
In a way, yes it is for a couple reasons. Firstly, this is the very first version of a product. No computer, PC or Mac, is without flaws in the first versions. Thats the risk you take with buying something the first time it comes out. Same thing with software, usually it takes version 1.1 to fix most of the bugs of 1.0. Secondly, flaws like that in an LCD just aren't uncommon, and again is a risk you take when buying an LCD product. No PC manufacturer will take a laptop back with one or even up to 5 dead pixels, as its excepted these can happen with LCD's.

danbrew
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 5, 2003, 10:14 PM

Drop it a few times and then take it back and tell 'em it was that way when you opened the box. Or just call your credit card company and raise hell. there's no way I would pay $4000 for a laptop with bad pixels.

OldManMac
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 5, 2003, 11:11 PM

Originally posted by danbrew:
Drop it a few times and then take it back and tell 'em it was that way when you opened the box. Or just call your credit card company and raise hell. there's no way I would pay $4000 for a laptop with bad pixels.
Do you really believe that Apple is going to exchange a laptop that's been dropped? As to your credit card company, they will verify with Apple that this isn't covered, so they'll still demand payment. Apple will NOT fix a screen with 1 bad pixel, nor will any PC maker, that I know of.
Why is there always money for war, but none for education?

Wet Jimmy
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 5, 2003, 11:35 PM

Surely you'd have a case here with Consumer Affairs or a similar body - You've bought a product which is defective in some way, yet paid the same price as other people who get non-defective units. Purchasing a product is not supposed to be a lucky-dip - maybe you'll get a good one, maybe you'll get a bad one... That's not how it works.

Those people who think it's unreasonable to complain about dead pixels clearly didn't shell out big bucks themselves, only to end up with a broken product.

At any rate, when my 17" arrives, if there are any dead pixels I will most certainly be using every resource available to get a new one.

Arch.  (op)
Forum Regular
Apr 5, 2003, 11:54 PM

Originally posted by KarlG:
Do you really believe that Apple is going to exchange a laptop that's been dropped? As to your credit card company, they will verify with Apple that this isn't covered, so they'll still demand payment. Apple will NOT fix a screen with 1 bad pixel, nor will any PC maker, that I know of.
I wish that the pixel was simply dead, but the fact is that it is stuck on bright red . If they are so unwilling, as you say, to fix a screen I cant even imagine how they handle other problems with their computers. I wonder what their return policy is....I wonder what they are going to tell me if something else goes wrong. I think that this "failure within limits" policy is a bunch of BS. I have never seen a MAC on display with pixels that are stuck on bright red and visibly distracting in every application that you run. I dont think its fair that they promise one thing and deliver another that has "failed within limits."

swsteckly
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 5, 2003, 11:58 PM

Apple's policy WILL NOT replace a screen with fewer than five dead pixels. It's not going to happen, and you will have to live with that.

You can try to 'take up a case' with whoever you want - it WILL NOT work, as this is the nature of LCDs, and not a problem specific to apple or any other computer manufacturer, and NO ONE's warranty will do what you want them to do.

'Broken product'? Give me a freakin' break!

I have had much more expensive products with dead/stuck pixels, and I can't do a thing unless the maker's policy allows, which none do. No amount of whining or complaining on forums is going to change it.

Or just call your credit card company and raise hell. there's no way I would pay $4000 for a laptop with bad pixels.
You didn't pay $4000, and if you did, you got ripped. And you're going to be in big trouble, because your product is not defective, and not paying for a non-defective product you own will make you a criminal.

Sorry if this sounds harsh, I'm just sick of this incessant b*tching about things that ARE NOT in the wrong.

todrain
Senior User
Apr 6, 2003, 12:22 AM

Sadly that's the way it is. The more pixels on the screen, the more likely to have dead ones. (I have none on my 15" Powerbook, but three stuck ones on my 20" Cinema)

Karim
Senior User
Apr 6, 2003, 12:32 AM

Oh my, another thread on dead pixels.

Look, this is akin to a religous argument.

My side is: I don't want bad pixels and will do everything to avoid them. Buy from a retailer that accepts returns no questions asked (IE Amazon), or pay a restock fee. (IE Apple).

Other side: Bad pixels happen, deal with them, if they didn't we would all have to pay more.

Synopsis - Figure out which side your on. As I have said before, I would be willing to pay an extra $150.00 to Apple to insure that my Laptop had no bad pixels. Call it a no-bad-pixel policy, like a rider on Applecare. The cost (if everyone paid it - Which aint gonna happen - So it gets complicated) would more than ofset the pixel issues.

Fight for no bad pixels. OLED screens will fix this problem in a few years, for now it is guerilla warfare.

danbrew
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 6, 2003, 12:48 AM

Originally posted by swsteckly:
Apple's policy WILL NOT replace a screen with fewer than five dead pixels. It's not going to happen, and you will have to live with that.

You can try to 'take up a case' with whoever you want - it WILL NOT work, as this is the nature of LCDs, and not a problem specific to apple or any other computer manufacturer, and NO ONE's warranty will do what you want them to do.

'Broken product'? Give me a freakin' break!

I have had much more expensive products with dead/stuck pixels, and I can't do a thing unless the maker's policy allows, which none do. No amount of whining or complaining on forums is going to change it.

You didn't pay $4000, and if you did, you got ripped. And you're going to be in big trouble, because your product is not defective, and not paying for a non-defective product you own will make you a criminal.

Sorry if this sounds harsh, I'm just sick of this incessant b*tching about things that ARE NOT in the wrong.
1. Will Apple replace the unit? Of course. You've got to make a pest of yourself. I know of several folks that got new units for bad pixels.

2. 4000? Ah, check your math. $3299 + 1 gig of ram + 2nd battery + 2nd power supply + 8% tax = $4199.23.

3. Not paying for a defective product = criminal. Ah, I wasn't suggesting you could keep it and not pay for it.

I suppose, in the end, it's all about what you're willing accept. If you would accept a stuck pixel, good for you. Apple counts on a certain percentage (a high percentage) of people to believe the myth that this is beyond their control. I won't accept a stuck pixel. I have less a problem with a pixel that is always off than one that is stuck on in some crazy color - but if it impacts the way I work, it's going back.

fwiw.

NightEyes
Forum Regular
Apr 6, 2003, 12:48 AM

At this point you've got nothing to lose. Bitch about it to your dealer, noting the location, and see what happens. If the dealer isn't willing to replace you can return and eat the restock charge.

swsteckly
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 6, 2003, 01:04 AM

1. Will Apple replace the unit? Of course. You've got to make a pest of yourself. I know of several folks that got new units for bad pixels.
I've never heard of this happening, but OK...

2. 4000? Ah, check your math. $3299 + 1 gig of ram + 2nd battery + 2nd power supply + 8% tax = $4199.23.
Does the RAM, battery, powersupply, or tax charge have dead/stuck pixels?

3. Not paying for a defective product = criminal. Ah, I wasn't suggesting you could keep it and not pay for it.
But if you are demanding a replacement for a unit that is not defective, someone is in trouble and it's not Apple.

I suppose, in the end, it's all about what you're willing accept. If you would accept a stuck pixel, good for you. Apple counts on a certain percentage (a high percentage) of people to believe the myth that this is beyond their control. I won't accept a stuck pixel. I have less a problem with a pixel that is always off than one that is stuck on in some crazy color - but if it impacts the way I work, it's going back.
There's no 'myth'. The facts make sense. There are so many small electrical units in each screen there is a good chance that there would be a defective one or two in each screen. Allowing no screens with dead pixels through would raise costs dramatically. You won't 'accept' a stuck pixel? Well, OK, best of luck to you then. It's obviously well within Apple's (or any manufacturer's) policy, so it is not a defective product, so you shouldn't expect any treatment different than if you just didn't happen to like the unit and wanted to return it.

It's just a known fact for LCD owners. It seems that about 1/3-1/2 of screens are perfect. If the screen is affecting your work, then you shouldn't have an LCD display, you should be using a CRT. You can't blame Apple or any other company - it's just not their fault, and dead pixels are something to be almost expected. If that's a problem, don't buy an LCD.

seanyepez
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 6, 2003, 02:32 AM

Don't waste your time. Apple won't replace your screen or PowerBook for a single stuck pixel.

forcelite
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 6, 2003, 03:13 AM

I have one dead pixel on my 12" PB and can live with it.

Apple has the same policies as the rest of the computer makers which is around 5 pixels to get a new screen.

It cant be that bad

cobra7869
Apr 6, 2003, 06:44 AM

Originally posted by PowerTower Fan:
In a way, yes it is for a couple reasons. Firstly, this is the very first version of a product. No computer, PC or Mac, is without flaws in the first versions. Thats the risk you take with buying something the first time it comes out. Same thing with software, usually it takes version 1.1 to fix most of the bugs of 1.0. Secondly, flaws like that in an LCD just aren't uncommon, and again is a risk you take when buying an LCD product. No PC manufacturer will take a laptop back with one or even up to 5 dead pixels, as its excepted these can happen with LCD's.
Actually, sir, you are wrong. It's not "In a way" wrong to expect a working, product without flaws. A product should not come out of production and be made available to the public if it's not. Especially when it is a $3500 laptop. I read that this forum has been bombarded with "Pixel Problems" and "Oh God, here we go again". Get real. Obviously you have been lucky enough to not have a problem or just take it better than others. FACT REMAINS, if a product is defective, it should be replaced. Not site unseen, but if an Apple Genius can verify the problem, then I don't see why a product should be replaced. Would any of you buy a car with a cracked winshield? I doubt it. Isn't your screen your "winshield" to yoru computing experience. It may be true that a "PC" manufacturer won't replace a computer, but should they? You bet. I agree with the gentleman in this post that said if his 17" PB is defective that he will use all resources necessary to have the problem fixed correctly. I completely agree. That is why those agencies and checks and balances are there. So use them.

seanyepez
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 6, 2003, 06:50 AM

Originally posted by cobra7869:
Actually, sir, you are wrong. It's not "In a way" wrong to expect a working, product without flaws. A product should not come out of production and be made available to the public if it's not. Especially when it is a $3500 laptop. I read that this forum has been bombarded with "Pixel Problems" and "Oh God, here we go again". Get real. Obviously you have been lucky enough to not have a problem or just take it better than others. FACT REMAINS, if a product is defective, it should be replaced. Not site unseen, but if an Apple Genius can verify the problem, then I don't see why a product should be replaced. Would any of you buy a car with a cracked winshield? I doubt it. Isn't your screen your "winshield" to yoru computing experience. It may be true that a "PC" manufacturer won't replace a computer, but should they? You bet. I agree with the gentleman in this post that said if his 17" PB is defective that he will use all resources necessary to have the problem fixed correctly. I completely agree. That is why those agencies and checks and balances are there. So use them.
You do have a point, but you obviously haven't heard what Apple has to say about pixel anomalies. They're not going to do anything for him just because his 17-inch PowerBook has a bad pixel. Replacing his PowerBook or screen would cost them a significant amount of money. A single stuck pixel is perfectly normal. This might not be acceptable to everyone, but the industry standard dictates that one is not enough to justify a replacement.

http://www6.tomshardware.com/display...319/index.html
( Last edited by seanyepez; Apr 6, 2003 at 07:00 AM. )

seanyepez
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 6, 2003, 06:53 AM

Take a look at Apple's official stance on the issue of defective pixels.

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=22194

cobra7869
Apr 6, 2003, 05:06 PM

Originally posted by seanyepez:
Take a look at Apple's official stance on the issue of defective pixels.

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=22194
Well, while I had one bad pixel on my PB 17, I also had a popping sound on that apparently was from the amplifier turning on and off to save battery power. Apparently the issue has not been worked out, but it is something that Apple Stores anyway are aware of. I bought my PB yesterday and had to bring it back today for this problem, not my one bad pixel. And to kind of go along with the point I was making, Apple refunded me for my entire purchase. No restocking fee at all. They were not crazy about it, though I was not pushing for a return. They just were accepting of my reasoning to either get a new PB (Which they were willing to do, not to try and send in for repairs). Very impressive day for Apple.

seanyepez
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 6, 2003, 06:58 PM

Originally posted by cobra7869:
Well, while I had one bad pixel on my PB 17, I also had a popping sound on that apparently was from the amplifier turning on and off to save battery power. Apparently the issue has not been worked out, but it is something that Apple Stores anyway are aware of. I bought my PB yesterday and had to bring it back today for this problem, not my one bad pixel. And to kind of go along with the point I was making, Apple refunded me for my entire purchase. No restocking fee at all. They were not crazy about it, though I was not pushing for a return. They just were accepting of my reasoning to either get a new PB (Which they were willing to do, not to try and send in for repairs). Very impressive day for Apple.

They didn't let you return your PowerBook because you it had a stuck pixel, though.

AuPhalanx
Forum Regular
Apr 6, 2003, 08:18 PM

OK, so then we called their customer service and were vaguely told that there is no rule. They know there is a standard for PCs but claim it does not apply to them. This service, which specializes in panels, told us that Apple works on an individual case-by-case basis, "but don't worry about it."
If Apple works on an individual case basis, then I would go by the old adage: "The squeaky wheel gets the grease." If I spent $4,000 on a new machine and it had an OBVIOUS "pixel anomaly", then I would raise bloody Hell until something was done about it. It sounds to me that a stuck red pixel in the middle of the screen would be a majour distraction. Do your best and get it fixed or replaced.

Have fun... Tony.

seanyepez
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 6, 2003, 11:50 PM

No matter how hard you try, Apple won't fix your PowerBook for a single stuck pixel.

freud
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 7, 2003, 01:32 AM

I tried and had no luck. Apple just won't take them back. But if I find more problems, I won't hesitate to get it fixed.

Forum Links
Forum Rules