Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Just got my Outpost backorder notice...

Just got my Outpost backorder notice...
mrtaber
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 22, 2001, 10:43 AM

Sigh...I'm gonna cancel and hit the computer store Saturday.
TiBook 667MHz/512Mb/30Gb/DVD
Macs for work and play; Windows for...work and play. Oh. Never mind. Whatever.

Kosmo
Senior User
Mar 22, 2001, 10:55 AM

Well, it's good news for Apple...means they are selling out their allotments...very cool. I think you're right, cancel the order and pick it up locally...

Kosmo

http://www.macnet2.com

penfold
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 22, 2001, 10:58 AM

Originally posted by Kosmo:
Well, it's good news for Apple...means they are selling out their allotments...very cool. I think you're right, cancel the order and pick it up locally...

Kosmo
Apple UK insinuated to me that there has been a "large" order for OS X - which can only be good news...

BTW I'm currently going through the motions of 'preping' my Macs for a clean install on Monday - including on intialization zeroing all data...
--------------------------------
You're crazy - you think you're going to change this silly little world... better see yourself a shrink
----------------------------------------------------------------

XMan
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 22, 2001, 11:50 AM

I don't understand why people are concerned with backorder notices. If you ordered something that is "not in stock" it's called backordered. All this means is that their computer was showing a zero in stock at the time you placed your order and it generated an automatic backorder notice. I think this is what happened at Apple the other day and also for me at MacMall. It's no big deal. It doesn't mean that their shipment is delayed. These systems are not usually designed very well to handle preorders. You'll still get it when you expect. If you're worried, call the seller before you cancel to make sure.

[This message has been edited by XMan (edited 03-22-2001).]

[This message has been edited by XMan (edited 03-22-2001).]

David R
Mar 22, 2001, 12:03 PM

By law, any retailer has to notify you that an item is not "in stock" if you placed your order more than 30 days ago. I'm 100% sure that Outpost will deliver the packages are promised, they never failed me (I just wish they had free shipping on all orders again, but that's a different rant)

dark3lf
Mac Elite
Mar 22, 2001, 12:32 PM

I ordered from Outpost, and there is a "back order" notification next to my tracking number, so I called to verify that my order is on track and they said "yes". Then I got an email saying something to the effect that it's on back order and that I should call Outpost to tell them if I still want to keep my order, so I called again, and they said that it's nothing to worry about and I will be getting my delivery on Saturday as promised.

mrtaber  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 22, 2001, 12:33 PM

As usual, great feedback in the MacNN fora I'm gonna call before I cancel...I love Outpost.com, too...but I gotta have it this weekend! And even if I do have to brave the crowds, it's worth it, since it does seem to indicate demand for OS X (a *good* thing, to quote Martha, as long as they know what to expect).

ibr80
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 22, 2001, 12:41 PM

Hey Im reading your post here and its very surprising to me, why anyone would preorder Mac OS X from anyone other than Apple it's self. Now Im very new to the Mac world so this is at least very curious. I would have asummed that the only reason you would do that would be if Apple had stock problems.

mrtaber  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 22, 2001, 01:39 PM

First things first! Just called Outpost and all is well for Saturday

In answer to ibr80, it's 'cuz Outpost charges no sales tax or shipping

Gametes
Mac Elite
Mar 22, 2001, 01:48 PM

40.76$ for Mac OS X on Saturday. [free sat shipping of X + ed discount + pb discount]
you are not your signature

Forum Links
Forum Rules