Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Braces at 24 - does it get any worse?

Braces at 24 - does it get any worse?
Ghoser777
Professional Poster
Dec 27, 2005, 03:10 PM

So I have an interesting tooth phenomenon - my roots don't dissolve. What that means is that most of my baby teeth have been manually pulled by dentist or knocked out by baseballs. I say most because I still have two left - my baby canines. My permanent canines have started to come in, but because the babies are in the way, they're not moving perfectly south. Hence, I'm getting braces with a hook attached to the permanents (after I get the babies pulled Thursday).

The braces just went on today, and Thursday I also get out all four of my wisdom teeth. Yippee!

UNTeMac
Mac Elite
Dec 27, 2005, 03:12 PM

You're gonna love the pain meds they give you. Rent some Pink Floyd and sit too close to the television and your recovery will go very fast.
"This show is filmed before a live studio audience as soon as someone removes that dead guy!" - Stephen Colbert

{PHOTON}Mazz1020
Forum Regular
Dec 27, 2005, 03:23 PM

Argg i had the same thing happen to me. i had these two baby teeth that wouldnt come out so i got them pulled and they had to cut deep into the roof of my mouth and attach these chains to them. Then i had to get braces so they could pull the teeth down. the surgary hurts like crazy but when they pull the teeth down it doesnt hurt for that long just take the pain meds and "rent some Pink Floyd" it worked for me. Good luck any way
Strangers have the best candy

historylme
Mac Elite
Dec 27, 2005, 03:51 PM

ouch... good luck to you.

micahgartman
Dec 27, 2005, 04:26 PM

I had braces from age 23 to age 30 (yup--that's SEVEN years). Needless to say, my teeth were pretty phuq'd up!

Enjoy hanging out with the thirteen-year-olds at the orthodontist's office!
mg

Dakar
Professional Poster
Dec 27, 2005, 04:38 PM

Originally Posted by UNTeMac
You're gonna love the pain meds they give you. Rent some Pink Floyd and sit too close to the television and your recovery will go very fast.
Genius.

teknopimp
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 27, 2005, 04:51 PM

i got major (cosmetic) work done this year and i'm in my thirties. you're relatively young and not the only twenty-something with braces.

i still need to get my wisdoms out and am very much looking forward to the pain meds.

MacBook 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo | Clamshell iBook G3 366MHz | 22" Cinema Display | iPod Mini | iPod shuffle | AirPort Express | Mighty Mouse

Lateralus
Moderator Emeritus
Dec 27, 2005, 05:06 PM

Well, at least you're not getting circumcised...
I like chicken
I like liver
Meow Mix, Meow Mix
Please de-liv-er

Kevin
Baninated
Dec 27, 2005, 05:13 PM

Originally Posted by UNTeMac
Bwahahaha

And yes it could get worse. You could have to have ALL your teeth pulled!

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 27, 2005, 05:15 PM

My sig is 1 pixel too big.

EnemyTerritoryish
Banned
Dec 27, 2005, 05:29 PM

Not really, no.

Ghoser777  (op)
Professional Poster
Dec 27, 2005, 06:00 PM

Originally Posted by Lateralus
Well, at least you're not getting circumcised...
Yeah, there's a funny story about that I only tell when drunk...

nredman
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 27, 2005, 06:01 PM

Originally Posted by ort888

boy that sucks

"I'm for anything that gets you through the night, be it prayer, tranquilizers, or a bottle of Jack Daniel's."

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Dec 27, 2005, 08:10 PM

Originally Posted by Ghoser777
Yeah, there's a funny story about that I only tell when drunk...
Please announce in the Lounge with appropriate notice period. Thx.

-t

ghporter
Administrator
Dec 27, 2005, 08:16 PM

I had braces from age 29-33. Yay. What fun. Woopie. I found that ibuprophen was my friend every time the wires needed tightening-I refered to it as "having my jaws torqued."

But yes, it could be worse, MUCH worse. Think of this as having an interesting conversation piece in your mouth.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

andreas_g4
Professional Poster
Dec 27, 2005, 08:57 PM

And I thought Elisha Cuthbert was wearing those on the next 24 season… I am disappointed now.

vexborg
Senior User
Dec 28, 2005, 03:52 AM

At least you don't have to spend 8 hours on an operation table getting your lower jaw broken 4 places, moved forward 10 mm due to a massive overbite and then getting the mouth closed with wires for 2 months... That sucks!

That happened to me when I was 18, and needless to say I didn't loose my virginity that year...

Ok, it was avery effective diet - I lost 12 kgs in the 2 months, but I'm not the greatest fan of soup anymore...
The gene pool needs cleaning - I'll be the chlorine.

{PHOTON}Mazz1020
Forum Regular
Dec 28, 2005, 11:22 AM

good god! where why would you have those pictures in the first place man!!

Dakar
Professional Poster
Dec 28, 2005, 11:25 AM

Originally Posted by vexborg
That happened to me when I was 18, and needless to say I didn't loose my virginity that year...
Slacker, you should have taken care of that before hand.

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 28, 2005, 11:40 AM

Originally Posted by {PHOTON}Mazz1020
good god! where why would you have those pictures in the first place man!!

It's actually from a TV show that has been running for a while. "Born Without a Face". It's an hour long documentary on this poor girl. It makes you feel very grateful for being blessed with good health.

If you think the pictures look bad, you should see it in motion. You should also see the surgery scenes where they peel back her entire face and start grafting bones on her skull. It's a very disturbing show.

It really makes you feel for this poor little girl and her family. I can't imagine the kind of strength it takes to try and raise a child with a condition as horrible as that one. I also can't imagine what it will be like to be that girl and be old enough to realize that you look like a horrific monster. Not to mention the horrible pain and inconvenience it causes her every second of every day.

wdlove
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 28, 2005, 11:46 AM

I had braces for three years. It's well worth the effort.

"Never give in, never give in, never, never, never, never - in nothing, great or small, large or petty - never give in except to convictions of honor and good sense." Winston Churchill

{PHOTON}Mazz1020
Forum Regular
Dec 28, 2005, 12:06 PM

It's actually from a TV show that has been running for a while. "Born Without a Face". It's an hour long documentary on this poor girl. It makes you feel very grateful for being blessed with good health.

If you think the pictures look bad, you should see it in motion. You should also see the surgery scenes where they peel back her entire face and start grafting bones on her skull. It's a very disturbing show.

It really makes you feel for this poor little girl and her family. I can't imagine the kind of strength it takes to try and raise a child with a condition as horrible as that one. I also can't imagine what it will be like to be that girl and be old enough to realize that you look like a horrific monster. Not to mention the horrible pain and inconvenience it causes her every second of every day.

And that show makes money??? do people enjoy wathching that stuff???

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 28, 2005, 01:05 PM

It's not an ongoing show. It's a one hour documentary. It's not exactly enjoyable, but it is very interesting.

teknopimp
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 28, 2005, 01:15 PM

i find that show to be quite disturbing and a good argument for euthanasia.

harlequin fetus

MacBook 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo | Clamshell iBook G3 366MHz | 22" Cinema Display | iPod Mini | iPod shuffle | AirPort Express | Mighty Mouse

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 28, 2005, 01:27 PM

Yeah, it really does raise a lot of interesting questions. One of the main one's being... is this girl really better off struggling through life then she would be dead? Would the parents be better off giving their attention to healthy children? It's an age old question with no easy answer.

ghporter
Administrator
Dec 28, 2005, 01:29 PM

Originally Posted by teknopimp

harlequin fetus
Remember this statement when you or someone very close to you has a child with a problem...

Ethics in treatment of birth deformed or improperly formed neonates is a developing field. We CAN help a baby born at under 24 weeks' gestation live. Should we? Good question. Try answering it when it's YOUR child that's the subject of the question.

JoshuaZ
Professional Poster
Dec 28, 2005, 01:35 PM

What right do the parents have to decide that their child should suffer for the rest of its life. Or even better, if a child would have died due to these complications, but thanks to medicine was able to live. Tricky subjects.

wdlove
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 28, 2005, 09:31 PM

Originally Posted by teknopimp

harlequin fetus
That is so sad. Causes one to want to cry. Something like that can make nursing very difficult.

"Never give in, never give in, never, never, never, never - in nothing, great or small, large or petty - never give in except to convictions of honor and good sense." Winston Churchill

JoshuaZ
Professional Poster
Dec 28, 2005, 11:43 PM

Worse. I was thinking about what would be worse today while at the dentist, and it occurred to me that there is an entire webpage dedicated to being worse.

http://www.rotten.com

teknopimp
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 29, 2005, 12:07 AM

ah, good old rotten.

Miniryu
Mac Elite
Dec 29, 2005, 08:39 PM

my aunt is over 40 and just started wearing hers. its funny cuz she looks like a teenager with them on- they are the full, thick metal ones cuz she wants to get the process over with a.s.a.p.

"Sing it again, rookie beyach."
My website

Ghoser777  (op)
Professional Poster
Dec 29, 2005, 09:59 PM

I finally stopped bleeding! Yippee!

{PHOTON}Mazz1020
Forum Regular
Dec 30, 2005, 01:13 PM

Originally Posted by Miniryu
my aunt is over 40 and just started wearing hers. its funny cuz she looks like a teenager with them on- they are the full, thick metal ones cuz she wants to get the process over with a.s.a.p.

Gees wut would make someone decide to do that at 40? Theres also that invisable retainer thing "invisaline" You cant see it but it takes longer then braces

anilos81
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 30, 2005, 03:30 PM

So I have an interesting tooth phenomenon - my roots don't dissolve. What that means is that most of my baby teeth have been manually pulled by dentist or knocked out by baseballs. I say most because I still have two left - my baby canines. My permanent canines have started to come in, but because the babies are in the way, they're not moving perfectly south. Hence, I'm getting braces with a hook attached to the permanents (after I get the babies pulled Thursday).

The braces just went on today, and Thursday I also get out all four of my wisdom teeth. Yippee!
I'm 24 and have had mine almost 3 years. It really isn't that bad, annoying at worst. After the 1st year they will hardly even hurt when you get them tightened. A lot of times people don't even notice.

For accessories I suggest a Sonicare toothbrush, that thing is a miracle! Seriously, money very well spent! And also one of those little travel dental kits comes in handy...

As for the wisdom teeth, no big deal at all. I had all four out at once and didn't even use the pain meds. The best thing u can do is fill a big sock with rice, tie off the end and microwave it. Then when you lay down you just lay it on your face and use it as a hot pack. The weight of it works really well and it stays warm for a long time. My oral surgeon gave me that trick and I loved it!

Good Luck!
Amanda

Ghoser777  (op)
Professional Poster
Dec 30, 2005, 04:25 PM

Originally Posted by anilos81
<snip>
How did dating go for you? It's been an adventure when I didn't have braces...

euchomai
Mac Elite
Dec 30, 2005, 04:46 PM

Pretty colors.

PurpleGiant
Mac Elite
Dec 30, 2005, 05:29 PM

Originally Posted by anilos81
As for the wisdom teeth, no big deal at all. I had all four out at once and didn't even use the pain meds. The best thing u can do is fill a big sock with rice, tie off the end and microwave it. Then when you lay down you just lay it on your face and use it as a hot pack. The weight of it works really well and it stays warm for a long time.
I tried this after jaw surgery a few years back, but I kept getting hungry when around the rice. Frustrating given I was limited to liquid foods.

Purple text...day why didn't I think of that?

anilos81
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 3, 2006, 01:47 PM

How did dating go for you? It's been an adventure when I didn't have braces...
haha...um, dating's dating I guess. If anything it has helped me weed out the superficial assholes I figure anyone who doesn't wanna talk to me cuz I have braces probably isn't someone I should be talking to anyhow. It has made me a little more self-conscious though

3andahalfeyed
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 3, 2006, 04:32 PM

I had to wear braces between the ages of 13 to 16. Not the greatest 3 years in my dental hygiene.

I hated flossing around the wires, which helped contribute to the gum swelling, along with other problems.

I lost a few braces from time to time, but not too bad though. I couldn't stop my eating craves, especially hard candy.

Other than that, I surived

ghporter
Administrator
Jan 3, 2006, 06:23 PM

I should have mentioned that Waterpic is your friend. While I had to give up popcorn and gum for my time in braces, I didn't have to smell bad. Mr. Waterpic saw to that. Whatever you do, get some sort of oral hygene device that will clean where a brush can no longer go-you'll be happy you did.

Forum Links
Forum Rules