Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Migrating e-mail from Windows Outlook to Mac OSX

Migrating e-mail from Windows Outlook to Mac OSX
QuatermassX
Forum Regular
Jun 20, 2006, 04:51 AM

Hi,

I need to migrate my entire collection of e-mail on my work PC in Outlook 2002 SP3 to my Mac.

What's the easiest way to do this? I don't want to bring my Mini into the office and plug it into the network as I don't think Entourage will work (it never used to with my old Powerbook).

Any suggestions?

Many thanks

Nivag
Mac Elite
Jun 20, 2006, 05:36 AM

is your work email on a Exchange server/IMAP or a POP3 account?

If it's an Exchange server/IMAP account then you'll just need to add the account to Entourage and it'll populate the info/emails from the server. If it is an Exchange server it works better with the latest version of Entourage 11.2.4 - do the update before you add the account.

if it's a POP3 account, there are ways of doing this as well, but they take a bit longer and i can't find the info at the moment.

TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 20, 2006, 07:47 AM

The easiest way is having/putting it all on an IMAP server.

QuatermassX  (op)
Forum Regular
Jun 21, 2006, 01:54 AM

It's on an Exchange server. The deal is I'm leaving my job and want to keep the huge volume of e-mail I have. Is there no way to grab the pst file (if there still is a pst file with Outlook 2002 SP3), burn it to CD/DVD and then work on it on my Mac?

I own a Mac Mini at home and don't really fancy bringing it to work, hooking it up to the network and praying the whole thing goes well. I used to bring a PB to the office last year and never managed to get Entourage to grab my Outlook e-mail.

Thanks for your suggestions ...

Tsilou B.
Senior User
Jun 21, 2006, 02:32 AM

I can recommend this application:

http://www.littlemachines.com/

It's only $10, you'll have to run it on your PC and it will export your mails to a format you can then burn to CD and import on your Mac.

QuatermassX  (op)
Forum Regular
Jun 21, 2006, 08:24 AM

Tsilou - MANY thanks for this, I'm changing jobs soon and want to take everything with me in an easy-to-access format.

Again, many thanks!

peeb
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 21, 2006, 02:34 PM

The other cheap but nasty way to do it is just to drag and drop all the messages to a folder on the PC, then export them as mail files - these are readable by anything.

Forum Links
Forum Rules