Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Gaming > I need a game recommendation

I need a game recommendation
alligator
Mac Elite
Jul 30, 2009, 07:22 PM

I'm looking for a game recommendation that I can play with another person (on separate machines). In the past, I've played America's Army with my brother, and we have teamed up by phone to "get" the other players (back when it first came out). I have a 2.4 GHz MacBook Pro, and he has a fairly new Windows XP desktop he built himself. I can run the game in boot camp if necessary.

Since I'm not that knowledgeable about games, I'm looking for some recommendations where I can "team" with my brother. If I can buy the game and download it, even better. It's a plus if I can run a Mac version while he runs a Windows version.

I've enjoyed games like America's Army and Portal, if that helps. Thanks!

TheoCryst
Mac Elite
Jul 30, 2009, 08:10 PM

If you can get Windows on your MacBook Pro, I've got to recommend Team Fortress 2. It's by Valve, the same guys who made Portal, and is a crazy-fun online shooter. Sadly it's Windows-only, but it's team-based and you can buy a digital copy through Steam.

Off the top of my head I can't think of any great online games for OS X and Windows.

Any ramblings are entirely my own, and do not represent those of my employers, coworkers, friends, or species

alligator  (op)
Mac Elite
Jul 30, 2009, 08:31 PM

Yes, I'm running XP on my Boot Camp partition. I also have the "Orange Box" which says "Half-Life 2: Episode Two", "Team Fortress 2" and "Portal" on it. It also mentions including "Half-Life 2" and "Episode One" on it. I've only played the "Portal" game on it, and it was a blast.

If I pick up one more copy for my brother, I should be good, right?

Leungy
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 30, 2009, 09:18 PM

Urban terror is a pretty small free multiplayer shooter which is based of quake III.
is pretty easy to pick up and it pretty fast and it doesn't lag much. can run on both Mac and pc together so it saves the hassle of rebooting. it pretty fun i think.

20" iMac [2006 | intel | 2 GB Ram | 750 GB HD | 10.5.8]

alligator  (op)
Mac Elite
Jul 30, 2009, 10:42 PM

I just installed and checked out Team Fortress 2. It is almost identical to America's Army from what I could tell in the five minutes I played. Just different characters and different scenes.

The only other question is cost. I see Urban Terror is free, which is great. My brother cannot afford much, so cost is an issue. Is there a cheap place to buy these games if we decide to go with one like Team Fortress 2?

TheoCryst
Mac Elite
Jul 31, 2009, 12:11 AM

Right now, TF2 is $20 on the Steam store. It does go on sale to $10 every so often, but it's not something you can really predict.

Any ramblings are entirely my own, and do not represent those of my employers, coworkers, friends, or species

Forum Links
Forum Rules