Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Gore Stinks

Gore Stinks
MezzanineKid
Banned
Nov 7, 2000, 03:13 PM

65% of software engineers support Bush. 65% of hair salon stylists support Gore. ..... hrm.....

In 1993 Gore passed the largest tax increase in US history.

Right now, we have the highest taxes since world war 2.

Gore plans on the largest goverment increase since 1964.

Ok. THINK ABOUT IT.

Who is better suited to rule wisconsin? The federal gov? or the people who live here?

Easy answer. Gore is a BAD choice. The only GOOD thing about Gore is that he's Pro-choice.

However, that doesnt matter anyway, as Abortions will never be illegal again. It'd be like going back to segreggation. Its just step backwards, and even if our president was 100% pro life, nothing would change.

Use your brain. Gore = A bigger more expensive less efficient federal governement.

Ca$h

Scott_H
Professional Poster
Nov 7, 2000, 03:33 PM

Use your brain. Gore = A bigger more expensive less efficient federal governement.
The Horror. I agree with Ca$h. Even a broken clock is correct twice a day

bizzare
Nov 7, 2000, 03:35 PM

------------------
-Bizzare

PrivateCitizen
Nov 7, 2000, 03:35 PM

More unsubstantiated assertions from Ca$h...

"65% of software engineers support Bush. 65% of hair salon stylists support Gore. ..... hrm....."

He begins with a homophobic comment.

"In 1993 Gore passed the largest tax increase in US history."

Wow! All by himself! Man, the Congress and the President must have been napping or something.

"Right now, we have the highest taxes since world war 2."

Then why are my taxes lower now than they were in the 80s?

"Gore plans on the largest goverment increase since 1964."

Facts, son, facts. Where are your facts?

"Ok. THINK ABOUT IT."

Good advice.

"Who is better suited to rule wisconsin? The federal gov? or the people who live here?"

Um, lemme check the constitution.

"Easy answer. Gore is a BAD choice."

Easy thinking leads to easy answers. Solid thinking leads to solid answers. As you said, THINK ABOUT IT.

deedar
Mac Elite
Nov 7, 2000, 04:29 PM

"Easy thinking" is the only option that some people have....

MezzanineKid  (op)
Banned
Nov 7, 2000, 05:20 PM

It wasnt homophobic. All the hair people I know are female, but way to jump to conclusions moron. My point is the more intelligent crowd supports Bush.

And no, the president wasnt napping. Clinton and Gore brag about how the deficit is decreasing, but now hot much they've raised taxes.

And I dont know why your taxes are lower. Are you writing off more? Something is bunk. I have almost a 1/3 taken outta my paycheck.

Gore DOES plan the largest goverment increase. Did you know his medicare plan ALONE will cost over three hundred and sixty BILLION dollars. thats $360,000,000,000.00 to you and me. Thats a LOT of money.

And you have to check the constitution in order to think about state powers? Man. No wonder I've never spoken to you before. It'd be like talking to a yappy dog.... quick to attack, but doenst carry any weapons (points).

Where are these solid answers? Oh wait... you have to do 'fuzzy' math to get SOLID answers. I get it now.

Ca$h

ZibbBar
Banned
Nov 7, 2000, 05:45 PM

Ca$h is homophobic!!!

Thats all I have to say

PrivateCitizen
Nov 7, 2000, 05:52 PM

"It wasnt homophobic. All the hair people I know are female, but way to jump to conclusions moron. "

You are right, I jumped to a conclusion and I was wrong. My apologies.

"My point is the more intelligent crowd supports Bush."

Hmmm..first time I ever heard that one. As Bush is demonstrably less intelligent than anyone else in the race, I find this hard to believe.

"And I dont know why your taxes are lower. Are you writing off more? Something is bunk. I have almost a 1/3 taken outta my paycheck."

Just out of curiosity, how much would you consider fair?

"Gore DOES plan the largest goverment increase. Did you know his medicare plan ALONE will cost over three hundred and sixty BILLION dollars. thats $360,000,000,000.00 to you and me. Thats a LOT of money. "

Is there a need for Medicare help? How much does Medicare get overall, and what percentage would this figure amount to? What happens to Medicare recipients if this isn't done? How does this amount to a "government" increase, anyway? Will there be "tons" more government workers hired or something?

"And you have to check the constitution in order to think about state powers? Man. No wonder I've never spoken to you before. It'd be like talking to a yappy dog.... quick to attack, but doenst carry any weapons (points)."

Yes, I know about state powers. I was refering to federal powers. What exactly do you think the federal government does? I know Bush talks about the federal government as something awful to be avoided, though why he then wants to head the federal government is beyond me.

"Where are these solid answers? Oh wait... you have to do 'fuzzy' math to get SOLID answers. I get it now."

Great, when I give long responses I get insulted for talking too much. Now you are insulting me for being terse. Clearly all that I've written thus far has gone to waste on you. Fine, you don't like the information I've provided, that's your right. But to now pretend I've been posting the way you post is a joke that everyone else in this forum gets.

Kozmik
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 7, 2000, 06:11 PM

I won't matter if Dubya becomes president. We'll be fine! He'll spend the first half of his term wandering around the pacific northwest looking for "D.C." anyway! And when he finally is in office, it'll be president by committee anyway, just like with Reagan. We've got nothing to worry about.
<A HREF="http://www.macnet2.com/cgi-bin/Ultimate.cgi" TARGET=_blank>
MacNet v2 Forums</A>

jaguarandi
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 7, 2000, 06:23 PM

Originally posted by MezzanineKid:
It wasnt homophobic. All the hair people I know are female, but way to jump to conclusions moron.
Well, you've already proven that you're racist and sexist, can homophobic be far behind?

My point is the more intelligent crowd supports Bush.
That's why Gore is winning in California, arguably the most 'intelligent' (i.e., most universities, highest wages, largest technical sector, etc.) state in the union. Right.

And no, the president wasnt napping. Clinton and Gore brag about how the deficit is decreasing, but now hot much they've raised taxes.
Like others here, my taxes have gotten lower over the last few years. I fail to see your point. Yet my standard of living has increased, crime has gone down in my neck of the woods, etc. What do I have to complain about?

And I dont know why your taxes are lower. Are you writing off more? Something is bunk. I have almost a 1/3 taken outta my paycheck.
That's because you're (likely) single with no children - by and large the group that pay the highest taxes on the average. Tell me, would you be willing to pay an extra 7% (to match Canada's average of 40%) to gain such niceties as standardized healthcare, lower crime, etc.? I probably would.

Gore DOES plan the largest goverment increase. Did you know his medicare plan ALONE will cost over three hundred and sixty BILLION dollars. thats $360,000,000,000.00 to you and me. Thats a LOT of money.
And Bush's plan will cost over one trillion dollars, or about triple what Gore's is going to cost. That's a lot of money!

/e

The Wolfe
Nov 7, 2000, 06:37 PM

Anyone wonder what Gore is planning on doing after he looses? The man has been working toward becoming president all his life - he doesn�t have the skills to anything other than politics.

The fact that Gore spent 24 years in Washington is a fact Democrats like to shout loud and clear - but it turns me off.

Prosperity without perjury.

------------------
Eliott Wolfe
Winnetka, Calif

scottiB
Professional Poster
Nov 7, 2000, 06:59 PM

All the hair people I know are female, but way to jump to conclusions moron. My point is the more intelligent crowd supports Bush.
Ca$h asserts that (A) hair people are less intelligent than software engineers; (B) All the hair people he knows are women; therefore, women are less intelligent. Yikes!
Interestingly, a good friend of mine is a hair dresser and has a Master's in Art History (she worked her way through school cutting hair). She now owns three salons, and boy is she stupid. I've no idea how she voted; it's none of my business.

I have almost a 1/3 taken outta my paycheck.
If you have 33% removed from your paycheck, you either make quite a living or you have claimed incorrectly on your W-4. My guess is the latter (or someone can claim you as a dependent). If you get a tax refund check of any substantial amount after filing, too much is being withheld. Refile a W-4 and claim 1 or 2--unless you like the government earning interest on your money.

Clinton and Gore brag about how the deficit is decreasing, but now hot much they've raised taxes.
As well as decreasing spending, raising taxes is needed to decrease the deficit. This is basic bookkeeping, and this deficit balooned during the twelve years of the G.O.P. sleeping at the wheel. Of course, spending could be cut to nil (biting the bullet now as Apple is), but then the states would be crying why there's no funding for their interstates, or arts, or Pell Grants, or......

Right now, we have the highest taxes since world war 2.
I presume that is adjusted for inflation. Regardless, even if it is, the statement is nothing. We have higher taxes than the War of 1812. The two times can't be compared fairly.

Anyway, Americans (and all people) are extremely fickle. We want the federal government to work for us, give us aid, assistance, whatever, yet we don't want to pay for it. Some of us want to abolish this, legalize that, desire tax breaks for this, cut programs for that, etc. Why would anyone wish to be president with bosses such as these (though I've heard the interns are quite the hotties)? Plus, whoever is elected will only be a one term president. The economy will cool or stagnate; we'll blame him for it, and vote 'im out.

Final note (in a too long post): I was standing in the gymnasium of the elementary school at the end of my street waiting in line to vote, and again wondered how fortunate we are that there are no UN monitors counting the votes or armed police flanking the doors to keep the peace.
I am stupidest when I try to be funny.

MezzanineKid  (op)
Banned
Nov 7, 2000, 07:48 PM

Why'd I insult you? You accused me of being homophobic (I'm not...well... sorta... I dont like lesbians truthfully, they scare me. Gay guys are kinda like girls.... but...lesbians are big and hairy. I know that isnt very PC to say but... well. Opinion.), and then you bashed my post, without providing much info at all to counter it.

Give me more info.

FYI: My taxes are so high because I have like 60k in mutal funds.... so I get taxed out the wazoo.

Scott_H
Professional Poster
Nov 7, 2000, 08:00 PM

That's because you're (likely) single with no children - by and large the group that pay the highest taxes on the average.
You just made my point for me. I'm married and no kids or house. Why don't I get a tax cut? I'd like to have kids and house but I don't have enough $$$ right now. Gore "targeted tax cut" doesn't have me in it's sights. Also status quo on Social Security is no good for me. By the time I'm old enough the system will have died off. Why can't I put that money into an IRA of some kind?

Gore is no "New Democrat".

jaguarandi
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 7, 2000, 08:03 PM

I never said that the tax cut was right - just trying to explain to Ca$h why his taxes were so high

/e

Arty50
Mac Elite
Nov 7, 2000, 08:36 PM

Originally posted by scottiB:

Anyway, Americans (and all people) are extremely fickle. We want the federal government to work for us, give us aid, assistance, whatever, yet we don't want to pay for it. Some of us want to abolish this, legalize that, desire tax breaks for this, cut programs for that, etc. Why would anyone wish to be president with bosses such as these (though I've heard the interns are quite the hotties)? Plus, whoever is elected will only be a one term president. The economy will cool or stagnate; we'll blame him for it, and vote 'im out.
I want nothing from the Federal Government. Give me my money back. I too am like Ca$h in that I'm single w/o kids. But this will change some day, and I need to start saving now to do so. This tax rate (1/3) doesn't help my cause. I didn't sign on for this. The Congress carries more blame for this than the President. Bastards. I really don't want to go through all the trouble of legally circumventing the tax code. Yes it can be done, but it's a pain in the arse. I basically have no choice if I want to save for a house, college, etc.

And now time for a young person to rant about Social Security. It was a great idea; "Let's take a little bit out of everyone's paycheck and save it for their retirement." Great, since most people don't do this. However, it ended up being, "let take a little bit out of everyone's paycheck and give it to these people over here." "Better yet, let's do it so that it doesn't equal what they paid into it." All of this equals a recipe for disaster. Bankruptcy was inevitable for this system. For Social Security to be a viable savings plan, all money paid into the plan by an individual should be paid out only to that same individual. Fair is fair, and solvent is solvent. Bush is the first major political figure to put his hands on the third rail and say, "It don't hurt so bad." Gore is just a wimp. Why should I pay into a system intended for my benefit in which I won't see a dime. That's just bad investing, which is contrary to the principle the program was founded on.
"My friend, there are two kinds of people in this world:
those with loaded guns, and those who dig. You dig."

-Clint in "The Good, the Bad and the Ugly"

Misha
Professional Poster
Nov 7, 2000, 08:55 PM

So taxes are higher than WWII... so what? So much more is being done today than previously... there are far more highways (in far better shape), the environment is about 10x better off than it was (regulations, clean up measures), income is up. As one other members said before, the two times cannot be compared.

To my knowledge mutual funds alone wouldn't impact your tax bracket. Profits that you make from those funds would be taxed appropriately, of course.

Anyway, I personally am fairly pleased with the way our government works. The military deserves higher wages... and I'll stop this post now before I start to rant.

my name is
Nov 7, 2000, 09:52 PM

Originally posted by MezzanineKid:
65% of software engineers support Bush.
Did you get your stats at a "three finger" beauty shop?
http://www.algore.com/tech/tech_endorse.html

Even Steve Jobs is for Gore.

[This message has been edited by my name is (edited 11-07-2000).]

PrivateCitizen
Nov 7, 2000, 10:16 PM

"Anyone wonder what Gore is planning on doing after he looses [sic]?"

Uh, isn't a bit premature to declare anyone a winner yet?

Thunderbird
Senior User
Nov 9, 2000, 01:10 PM

Originally posted by PrivateCitizen:
More unsubstantiated assertions from Ca$h...

"In 1993 Gore passed the largest tax increase in US history."

Wow! All by himself! Man, the Congress and the President must have been napping or something.

You're right. He also had the support of the Democratic controlled congress and the president. Is that what you'd like to return to? You forget how much the country hated having the democrats in power. That is why we kicked them out in 1994.

Gregg
Mac Elite
Nov 10, 2000, 04:08 PM

Um, my first time in this thread....

Just one observation: the demographics of Democrats and Republicans that I've seen almost always say that more highly educated people are Republicans (one reason they're also wealthier) and more blue collar people, who are less highly educated, are Democrats. Now, let's be clear about this; educated does not necessarily mean intelligent. Just look at all those lefty Ivy League professors!

Gregg
Ya gotta applaud those bunnies for sacrificing their hearing just so some guy in Yonkers can have better TV reception.

PrivateCitizen
Nov 10, 2000, 04:51 PM

The less-educated going toward the Democrats is a no-brainer, for that includes the vast number of immigrants and people in poverty. The Democrats claim to be more helpful for these folks, so naturally they gravitate toward the Democrats.

Those who are of average education and opportunity tend to go either way, depending on personal circumstances. Maybe they are more interested in change, and go liberal. Or they want to preserve the status quo, and go conservative.

Once you become wealthy, there is a strong temptation to be conservative, since you want to preserve the wealth. However, once you become highly educated, and are highly intelligent too, I maintain you tend to see faults in both camps and you must hold your nose and pick one or the other.

No highly intelligent and educated person can believe all of what politicians say. It's too easy to watch the news and pick apart the shallow and self-serving arguments used by both political parties. You then just have to decide for yourself what you think the right course is and choose individual politicians on either side who you feel can best steer that course.

In my opinion, the very concept of the party system is flawed. Too often it causes politicians to do things not because it is right, but because the party leaders demand it. Too often it causes followers to cheer on even brain-dead arguments, just because it comes "from our side." Think for yourself, I say.

Arty50
Mac Elite
Nov 10, 2000, 06:21 PM

Originally posted by PrivateCitizen:

No highly intelligent and educated person can believe all of what politicians say. It's too easy to watch the news and pick apart the shallow and self-serving arguments used by both political parties. You then just have to decide for yourself what you think the right course is and choose individual politicians on either side who you feel can best steer that course.

In my opinion, the very concept of the party system is flawed. Too often it causes politicians to do things not because it is right, but because the party leaders demand it. Too often it causes followers to cheer on even brain-dead arguments, just because it comes "from our side." Think for yourself, I say.
Amen
"My friend, there are two kinds of people in this world:
those with loaded guns, and those who dig. You dig."

-Clint in "The Good, the Bad and the Ugly"

MezzanineKid  (op)
Banned
Nov 11, 2000, 02:22 PM

The common assumption that the republicans are for wealthy people and the democrats are for blue collar people WAS true,b ut not anymore.

If you're a blue collar guy, you should have voted BUSH, he believes in the right to bear arms, cars, and he'll cut your taxes, and his social security plan is 10000 times better than whatever Gore had planned (nothing)

Gore is now for politically correct activist people who feel that some people who are being opressed need a special law to give them more of an advantage (or at least THEY believe they're opressed).

Lets all vote Jesse Jackson into president. Think about it, what would he say?

"No I will not be president, my people are being op--- WHAT?! DAYUMN! I LOVE WHITE PEOPLE!"

hehehe

Ca$h

PrivateCitizen
Nov 11, 2000, 02:37 PM

"If you're a blue collar guy, you should have voted BUSH, he believes in the right to bear arms"

As does every other politician in this land of the 2nd Ammendment which isn't going anywhere.

", cars"

As does every other politician, but in Bush's case he's not so sure that pollution is all that bad and the oil companies are your friends...

", and he'll cut your taxes"

A miniscule amount, unless you're rich. And then the country will go into deficit, and he then will have to raise taxes (like his daddy had to).

", and his social security plan is 10000 times better than whatever Gore had planned (nothing)"

Bush's plan was to take a trillion bucks that didn't belong to the young and give it to them to invest. Thereby leaving the retired a trillion bucks short. Bush never did explain how he was going to pull this off, other than the common assumptions:

a) He never intended to do this at all, but lied to get votes;
b) He would have to massively cut SS benefits to the elderly to pay for his giveaway.

Shallow thinking on Bush's part made him promise money that was earmarked to the elderly was going to be given to the young. Shallow thinking on the part of Bush's followers made them gullibly accept this nonsense without ever questioning how he was going to pull this off.

jeffhot
Senior User
Nov 13, 2000, 11:44 PM

For Social Security to be a viable savings plan, all money paid into the plan by an individual should be paid out only to that same individual. Fair is fair, and solvent is solvent.

Why should I pay into a system intended for my benefit in which I won't see a dime. That's just bad investing, which is contrary to the principle the program was founded on.
Arty50: is this the position behind your opinions? You might have said: "I am completely selfish. I do not give a damn about the welfare of others, they can all starve or freeze to death, or die needing medical attention, and it would not bother me. I care about nothing except my own navel. If I ever do have a wife and kids, they will probably be unhappy about our relationship because I only keep them around to serve my needs!"

Ha. you're the bastard!

[This message has been edited by jeffhot (edited 11-13-2000).]

elzinat
Mac Elite
Nov 14, 2000, 02:54 AM

people out there actually consider bush qualified to lead this country...

&lt;sigh&gt;

how's the job market in Canada these days?

------------------
be happy!

Forum Links
Forum Rules