Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > My iMac's POSSESSED!!!

My iMac's POSSESSED!!!
aapl4ever
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 13, 2001, 11:49 AM

Just short of a year after buying my iMac DV SE/400, things are falling apart---BADLY! First, I suffered my first hard drive crash on Jan. 2. After recovering as much data as I could using Norton Utilities 6.0 and also running Tech Tool Pro 2.5.5, I'm afraid my beloved iMac needs to spend some time at my Local Authourized Apple repair shop. Fortunately, when I purchased my iMac, I also purchased a Service Contract, so it shouldn't hurt my wallet too badly when they back up my hard drive & format it (I also want them to partition it, something I should have done a year ago. Live & learn...).

In addition to this, my iMac is now possessed by something evil. It won't shut down. As of last night, whenever I choose Shut Down, it's as if I chose Restart. The only way I can turn my iMac off is to either pull the plug or turn off the powerstrip it's plugged into. Any assistance or ideas as to what causes this would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

kaceygones
Senior User
Jan 13, 2001, 02:33 PM

Hey!!!!!
I have a DV SE, too, and mine just started doing the same thing at shut down.
It just keeps restarting.
I tried to install Photo Shop Deluxe that told me I had to turn Virtual Memory off before I could run it. I turned it off and tried to run it and I got the same message so, I restarted and then ran the program and went to shut down later and it restarted. I thought it must be a VM thing so, I turned back on and did a shut down and it worked. BUT, the next time I used my computer, it did a restart when trying to shut down. I played with the VM and this time it didn't make a difference. I then, deleted PSD and it's preferences and moved some unnecessary extensions to the disabled folder and it shut down then, but at the next attempt, it did a restart.

What am I doing wrong?
kacey

P.S. aapl4ever, unless you can't partition your hard drive yourself, I wouldn't send in your computer yet. With a little help from the people here, you should be able to correct all your "possessions" problems yourself. That is, if this restarting thing isn't an indication of something more serious.

kaceygones
Senior User
Jan 13, 2001, 02:38 PM

I forgot to say that it's a 400 SE with 256MB RAM running 9.0.3.

kacey

P.S. On another issue, it also wakes up from a sleep any time someone calls on the
line I have dedicated to my computer. Is there anything I can do about that?

James Z
Jan 13, 2001, 03:15 PM

In the energy saver control panel you can turn off "wake on modem" something like that. Have you tired to zap PRAM, orreinstall system software to fix your shutdown problem. You can format it yourself...

CaseCom
Professional Poster
Jan 13, 2001, 05:22 PM

Regarding the restart on shutdown ... does it still happen even after you've disconnected all peripherals except keyboard/mouse?

One thing to check is the power button. Does it seem stuck? Slot-loaders were having a lot of problems with stuck power buttons a while back.

Otherwise I don't have much advice aside from trashing Energy Saver and Finder prefs, zapping the PRAM, the usual stuff... good luck.

WDL
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 13, 2001, 05:57 PM

Further to Case Com's suggestion - for your info:

Macworld 19 Oct �00

If you plug a USB device (a printer, scanner, game controller,
Zip drive, etc.) into your USB-equipped Mac and that same Mac refuses
to start up, it's likely that there's a conflict between your Mac and
that USB device. The short-term remedy is to unplug the USB device,
restart the Mac, and plug the device in once the Mac's running. The
long-term remedy is to hope that the manufacturers of the device
release updated USB drivers and Apple implements a more reliable USB
scheme.
---------------------------
Additionally:

Open your Energy Saver control panel - click on Show Detail - move all the sliders to Never.

Open Sherlock - in the Find menu select Index Volumes - click on Schedule in the lower left - remove
all the check marks in the boxes beside the days etc.

Close windows - quit apps - shut down and wait a few seconds for the memory to completely clear
- now start up and see how things go.

Remember though to go back to Sherlock and choose a day and time for indexing that won't interfere
with your normal operating.

WDL

aapl4ever  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 14, 2001, 02:18 PM

Kacey, regarding partitioning my hard drive, how can I without wiping out all the stuff that's already there?

Please advise.

Thanks.

aapl4ever  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 14, 2001, 02:21 PM

James Z, I've zapped the PRAM, re-built the Desktop, and done a clean install of OS 9.

How do I format my hard drive myself?

Thanks.

aapl4ever  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 14, 2001, 02:41 PM

All...

eU(SB)REKA! I moved the sleep slider to never & disconnected my SanDisk ImageMate USB reader...

No more phantom re-start!!!

Thanks to all for that tip! :smile:

aapl4ever  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 14, 2001, 02:53 PM

Errors found while running Disk First Aid that caused Apple to tell me I need to re-format my drive:

Problem: Custom Icon Missing, 401333, 37
Problem: Missing Thread Record, 341962, 1474 <--- especially this one.

Advise, please.

Forum Links
Forum Rules