Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > need an ipad case that locks

need an ipad case that locks
Summer of George
Baninated
Aug 29, 2010, 09:21 AM

I know you can password protect the iPad but my kids still keep trying to use it and I am concerned they will damage it. Is there case out there that locks?

subego
Clinically Insane
Aug 29, 2010, 01:45 PM

I haven't seen one that will keep out determined fingers. How old are we talking?
( Last edited by subego; Sep 1, 2010 at 02:36 AM. )

Summer of George  (op)
Baninated
Sep 6, 2010, 01:11 PM

They are 8 and 12. I actually found one last week, Just got it today. I think it will do the job.
( Last edited by andi*pandi; Mar 3, 2011 at 05:28 PM. Reason: removed questionable link)

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Sep 6, 2010, 01:22 PM

Spam. Reported.

-t

ghporter
Administrator
Sep 6, 2010, 01:31 PM

I don't know about that being spam... George, tell us about the case.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Sep 6, 2010, 01:49 PM

Originally Posted by ghporter View Post
I don't know about that being spam... George, tell us about the case.
Yeah, well, I just don't buy the story of not being able to keep his 8 and 12 year old off the iPad.

Maybe he's just a horrible case of parenting, but sounds fishy to me.

-t

subego
Clinically Insane
Sep 6, 2010, 03:47 PM

There is zero chance that will keep out an undisciplined 12 year old.

Summer of George  (op)
Baninated
Sep 7, 2010, 12:18 AM

Is it possible that someone would want to keep their iPad case locked so that their kids didn't play with the $1,000 investment their dad just spent. The case I ordered is what I was looking for. I don't think my 12 year old will cut the leather or pry open the lock in order to break into his fathers iPad. I do think that it will give my iPad a better chance of not being broken like so many other things I have purchased and left out in the house over the years.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Sep 7, 2010, 12:22 AM

Originally Posted by Summer of George View Post
Is it possible that someone would want to keep their iPad case locked so that their kids didn't play with the $1,000 investment their dad just spent. The case I ordered is what I was looking for. I don't think my 12 year old will cut the leather or pry open the lock in order to break into his fathers iPad. I do think that it will give my iPad a better chance of not being broken like so many other things I have purchased and left out in the house over the years.
How about you tell your kids to keep their fingers off, and if they don't obey, you spank them, withdraw TV privileges, ground them or whatever it takes.

Geez, who's in charge in your home ?

Seriously.

-t

subego
Clinically Insane
Sep 7, 2010, 03:17 AM

If the problem is just being "left out", then that implies an accident. A lock won't prevent accidents.

If the problem is you have a kid who will use it whether you tell them to or not, then you need something stronger than a two digit combination lock. That's a two minute speed bump, tops. Less if they just have a look before you scramble it.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Sep 7, 2010, 03:24 AM

Originally Posted by turtle777 View Post
How about you tell your kids to keep their fingers off, and if they don't obey, you spank them, withdraw TV privileges, ground them or whatever it takes.

Geez, who's in charge in your home ?

Seriously.

-t
You don't have kids, right?

I don't think that anybody who has kids would use the term "horrible parenting".

Kids are like cats, except with more personality.

And that's not taking into account puberty.

I think the original poster is kidding himself if he believes this case will help, though.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Sep 7, 2010, 09:58 AM

No, I don't. But if you can't set certain boundaries that are accepted and obeyed, you have got to be toast as a parent. Then all bets are off, a lock won't help either.

And no, kids are NOT like cats, only badly parented kids are.

-t

Summer of George  (op)
Baninated
Sep 7, 2010, 10:54 AM

Just wanted a case that locks, didn't need parenting advice or all the criticism. I understand forums are full of NUTS, but give me a break!!!!!!!!

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Sep 7, 2010, 11:02 AM

Sure, obviously, WE are nuts, because YOU need a locked iPad case to keep your kids off.

-t

Summer of George  (op)
Baninated
Sep 7, 2010, 11:15 AM

at least I have a family, unlike you, who must spend his days trying to piss people off with juvenile posts

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Sep 7, 2010, 11:20 AM

at least I have a family, unlike you, who must spend his days trying to piss people off with juvenile posts
Yeah, great non-juvenile post. Let us know how things go with lock case.

-t

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Sep 7, 2010, 12:40 PM

Originally Posted by turtle777 View Post
No, I don't. But if you can't set certain boundaries that are accepted and obeyed, you have got to be toast as a parent. Then all bets are off, a lock won't help either.

And no, kids are NOT like cats, only badly parented kids are.
You OBVIOUSLY don't have kids!

(kids have quite the personality long before parenting even gets to them - it's awesome)

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Sep 7, 2010, 12:56 PM

Again, you argue that kids will not listen and obey AT ALL, no matetr what you do ?
You argue that there is NO WAY to come to an understanding with the kids that would make them accept to stay off the iPad ?
You argue that the OP has NO CHANCE other than using a lock case ?

Sorry, I don't buy it. Maybe some other parents can chime in here.
But if what you suggest is true, how do your kids follow any single piece of instructions at all ?

-t

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Sep 7, 2010, 01:59 PM

I'm saying that entirely and off-handedly blaming him entirely for the situation ("horrible parenting") betrays your utter cluelessness.

Kids are first and foremost PEOPLE.

*Usually*, they will do what seems to make sense to them. To a point.

That point may involve temptation, or simply having crossed the point of being too tired for reason, or just doing something stupid despite knowing better. Much like you or me.

I think the OP probably has no chance other than to lock it away (doubt the case will make a difference - kids aren't stupid).

The kids may learn the lesson, but it may involve having to replace a $600 electronics device out of their own pocket. Dad buying a case may be less effort.

andi*pandi
Sep 7, 2010, 03:15 PM

Turtle is overly antagonistic, this isn't the pol/war lounge. Welcome, George.

I think the advantage of the locked case is that to get into it, kids would have to break it and there'd be proof they were there. That is the benefit right there. Otherwise, they could just take it off your desk, use it, put it back, and then feign innocence.

My kid isn't that sneaky yet though.

I wonder if apple will ever have "user" settings for the ipad, that would be cool. Parental settings for browsers/games etc would be good, as well as with separate accounts there'd be no chance of junior deleting your plants vs zombies high score.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Sep 7, 2010, 03:17 PM

All I'm saying is: the OP tries to fix a problem with a technical solution, where the problem is clearly non-technical in nature.

And, if I believe what you (Spehric) told me about kids, the OP's ONLY chance to keep a function iPad is to change something in the way he interacts with his kids. Sure, nobody likes to hear that he might be doing something wrong with his kids, but in this case, it just seems plain obvious that that's were the root problem is.

-t

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Sep 7, 2010, 03:23 PM

Depending on how his kids tick (and this, as I've been trying to make clear from the start, is something parents only have limited influence upon), changing the way he interacts with his kids may not do squat.

Locking away his iPad might.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Sep 7, 2010, 03:26 PM

Originally Posted by andi*pandi View Post
Turtle is overly antagonistic, this isn't the pol/war lounge. Welcome, George.

I think the advantage of the locked case is that to get into it, kids would have to break it and there'd be proof they were there. That is the benefit right there. Otherwise, they could just take it off your desk, use it, put it back, and then feign innocence.
If any parent is dumb enough to believe that a twelve-year-old living in the same house couldn't do just that with a two-digit combination lock in the way, he deserves to be thus deluded.

andi*pandi
Sep 7, 2010, 05:30 PM

that lock does look pretty flimsy.

cgc
Professional Poster
Sep 7, 2010, 06:33 PM

"Like a midget at a urinal, I was going to have to stay on my toes." Frank Drebin, Naked Gun 33 1/3: The Final Insult

Summer of George  (op)
Baninated
Sep 7, 2010, 07:04 PM

I guess I will just put the kids up for adoption since I am such a bad parent for wanting to protect my new computer. Tech forum, not "One Flew over the Cuckoo's Nest". Turtle, your a JERK!!, but I am pretty sure anyone in this forum already knew that. That's all I'm SAYING!

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Sep 7, 2010, 09:38 PM

Turtle, your a JERK!!, but I am pretty sure anyone in this forum already knew that. That's all I'm SAYING!
Meh, coming from someone who needs a locking iPad case, I'm real hurt

-t

hyteckit
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 8, 2010, 04:06 AM

I guess I will just put the kids up for adoption since I am such a bad parent for wanting to protect my new computer. Tech forum, not "One Flew over the Cuckoo's Nest". Turtle, your a JERK!!, but I am pretty sure anyone in this forum already knew that. That's all I'm SAYING!
Welcome to the boards. And yes, Turtle acts like a little spoil brat who thinks he knows everything.

If you don't need to portability, why not just get a steel safe? Or something like this:

MMF Industries� Steel Cash Box with Security Lock | Staples�

Seems like the above might be a tight fit.
Bush Tax Cuts == Job Killer
June 2001: 132,047,000 employed
June 2003: 129,839,000 employed
2.21 million jobs were LOST after 2 years of Bush Tax Cuts.

cgc
Professional Poster
Sep 8, 2010, 05:17 PM

Originally Posted by hyteckit View Post
Welcome to the boards. And yes, Turtle acts like a little spoil brat who thinks he knows everything.

If you don't need to portability, why not just get a steel safe? Or something like this:

MMF Industries� Steel Cash Box with Security Lock | Staples�

Seems like the above might be a tight fit.
I was first with the gun safe recommendation...back of the line.

Turtle: I'm with you to a certain extent. Parents need to take more responsibility but like I learned in college, you engineer protection into the system so it's not reliant on people doing the right thing.
"Like a midget at a urinal, I was going to have to stay on my toes." Frank Drebin, Naked Gun 33 1/3: The Final Insult

pcryan5
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 10, 2010, 07:01 PM

I know you can password protect the iPad but my kids still keep trying to use it and I am concerned they will damage it. Is there case out there that locks?
I just use the password function. I can't keep my darn kids off mine either and they are 25 & 34!

Forum Links
Forum Rules