Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Home Sharing Redux

Home Sharing Redux
pcryan5
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 30, 2010, 02:40 PM

OK - clearly my Google skills are post Christmas dysfunctional - but for the love of turkey I can not figure out how to listen to my MacBook iTunes on my iPhone when using my home Wi-Fi. I have home sharing enabled under Advanced. I have full library shared without p/w under preferences. I killed a chicken. I can play music on my Macbook using apple remote - but cannot figure out how to listen to music on my iphone from my macbook library.
Spare brain anyone?

thanks

~P

subego
Clinically Insane
Dec 30, 2010, 03:29 PM

You can do this with Airfoil Speakers for Airfoil, though I haven't used it for that purpose.

I have no idea whether the app can work in the background on your phone (I'll do a test), but otherwise, Airfoil is pretty awesome. I use it to stream audio from VLC (throughout my whole house, but in sync with the video) Pulsar (XM/Sirius desktop app which is free with Airfoil), and if I were on the Pandora train, that would work too.

I'm thinking of using Airfoil instead of Airplay even for straight iTunes, the one advantage being that there's a desktop client, so I can stream to computers too, instead of just Airport Expresses or AppleTVs. I want to be sure the visualizer stays in sync before I commit though (more testing).

Obviously, I dig the Airfoil, so I'd be glad to field any other questions.
( Last edited by subego; Dec 30, 2010 at 03:36 PM. )

pcryan5  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 30, 2010, 03:55 PM

Thanks subego. I did a search and while Airfoil can work I got another hit to Projects With Love: StreamToMe which looks interesting.

Will try and report back.

subego
Clinically Insane
Dec 30, 2010, 04:14 PM

My pleasure!

I just did a test and Airfoil Speakers runs in the background on my iPhone (4). I imagine this would eat some battery, but probably no more than any other solution.

No luck with visualizer sync though. This makes sense as the way I keep VLC in sync is by setting a negative audio delay in the VLC preferences (-2200ms, should anyone need it).

pcryan5  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 30, 2010, 04:19 PM

Originally Posted by pcryan5 View Post
I got another hit to Projects With Love: StreamToMe which looks interesting.
Of course I should have tested then posted once.

Anyhow - StreamToMe also works fine in the background on my iPad and iPhone. App is $2.99.

~P

subego
Clinically Insane
Dec 30, 2010, 05:21 PM

That seems like a cheaper/less overkill solution.

Forum Links
Forum Rules