Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Seagate Freeagent Firewire Adapter

Seagate Freeagent Firewire Adapter
southwos
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 12, 2008, 04:53 PM

Does anyone know of a place that sells just the adapter? I bought two 500gb drives last year that have eSata and USB, but now I would like to use them for an older laptop with firewire. I know I could have gotten a FW option, but that wasn't my intention back then. In the documentation it says if you want to use (and have) the FW option you simple unscrew the eSata/USB adapter and replace the module with the FW module. I was just trying to see if anyone knew of a place that might carry that adapter. I'm sure Seagate would say no buy a new drive.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Dec 12, 2008, 05:38 PM

The Firewire adapter should be in the original packaging, no?

southwos  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 12, 2008, 07:41 PM

The original two that I bought were only eSata/USB they didn't originally come with the FW option. I think they called that the Free Agent Pro. Basically, the drives are external drives that mount vertically. There is a screw on the bottom of the base that you take out and the eSata/USB module comes out and the FW module goes in. Kinda weird I know, but that is why I thought I would ask to see if anyone knew of a place that sold the FW module or if anyone had the FW modules that they weren't using and would be willing to sell them.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Dec 13, 2008, 06:46 AM

Ah, sorry - the only ones I've seen included the Firewire option in the box. Very, very nice drive, btw.

You're probably best off contacting Seagate on this.

southwos  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 13, 2008, 06:47 PM

I have sent a request to Seagate to see if they offer the module. I may just take the drives out of the seagate housing and buy an external FW housing to put them in. My reason for taking them out of the seagate housing is the following post I found http://arewold.wordpress.com/2007/08...al-disk-drive/

mduell
Posting Junkie
Dec 14, 2008, 02:15 PM

I've never seen the FW adapter sold seperately... you could either buy the drive with just the USB/eSATA adapter or both the USB/eSATA and FW adapters. It's a bizzare setup, no idea why they didn't just put USB/eSATA/FW on the same adapter.

southwos  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 16, 2008, 03:37 PM

Just a follow up, seagate did contact me to let me know that they no longer offer or have those adapters available and do not know of any distributors for those drives or adapters. I don't know how old my drives are exactly, but I do know I purchased them about a year ago. Of course they could have been on the shelf for months. I decided to buy a couple of FW enclosures and put the drives from the seagate enclosures in them. Yeah, it'll probably void the seagate warranty, but maybe not since I don't know if they track the external enclosure serial numbers with the actual drives serial number.

Forum Links
Forum Rules