Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Pope: Extremely Ill & Possibly Dying

Pope: Extremely Ill & Possibly Dying (Page 2)
Socially Awkward Solo
Professional Poster
Mar 31, 2005, 10:21 PM

Originally posted by Scotttheking:
Funny, Bush says the same thing.
Is that supposed to surprise us?

"Laugh it up, fuzz ball!"

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
Mar 31, 2005, 10:21 PM

Originally posted by Socially Awkward Solo:
Oh ya that really works. Even the biggest thumpers I know that point the finger at others that break one of the 10 commandments still don't follow that one.
Most people that don't have an issue having sex out of wedlock... probably don't have an issue with condoms.

TheBadgerHunter
Mac Elite
Mar 31, 2005, 10:54 PM

Because he would rather have babies born into poverty and transmit aids rather than tell them to use a condom. Moron.
I didn't know that this Pope initiated that. Learn something new every day.

TheBadgerHunter
Mac Elite
Mar 31, 2005, 10:58 PM

Oh ya that really works. Even the biggest thumpers I know that point the finger at others that break one of the 10 commandments still don't follow that one.
Really? Because thats a pretty big sin in most religions that follow the new testament fully. The people you know may be thumping (or humping) something, but they sure as hell aren't following the bible.

Millennium
Clinically Insane
Mar 31, 2005, 11:10 PM

You might be surprised. It's not as abnormal as certain elements of society would like us all to believe.
You are in Soviet Russia. It is dark. Grue is likely to be eaten by YOU!

Dimethyltrypt
Forum Regular
Mar 31, 2005, 11:23 PM

out of curiosity, Millenium, are you still fighting for your investment (3dfx drivers on OSX).

I suggest you drop your weapons.
don't be a MOORON, you lefty terrorist commie.

DeathToWindows
Professional Poster
Mar 31, 2005, 11:29 PM

Originally posted by d4nth3m4n:
OMG OMG OMG THE POPE IS ON THE ROPES!!!!

Or, as the capitol steps said: the rope is on the popes

That idiotic comment being said, I wish that man a calm and peaceful death, considering what he did for Catholic-Jewish relations...

Don't try to outweird me, I get stranger things than you free with my breakfast cereal.

theolein
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 31, 2005, 11:35 PM

Originally posted by Dimethyltrypt:
out of curiosity, Millenium, are you still fighting for your investment (3dfx drivers on OSX).

I suggest you drop your weapons.
Yes, I have to echo that one. It too puzzles me why Millenium still has that particular crusade going on.
weird wabbit

theolein
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 31, 2005, 11:42 PM

Originally posted by Cody Dawg:
I just heard on satellite television (Italian news service from Rome) that the Pope is extremely ill. He has very low blood pressure and an extremely high fever with fluid in the lungs.

This may be it for him.

Good thing he doesn't live in Florida.

I love the Pope and feel bad that he is sick.

What exactly is wrong with you? You really had to bring your favourite obsession into yet another thread, didn't you? I find your utter lack of tact disgusting. You are one of those people, I think, who feels like they have a right to say how other people live and die. Who gave you that right? Or is it just the empty life of a desperate housewife lacking the mental ability to go out and make one for herself?

You honestly make me sick, I'm sorry to say.
weird wabbit

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Apr 1, 2005, 01:54 AM

Originally posted by mitchell_pgh:
Wrong, he would rather you either not have sex out of wedlock or get married.

I don't remember him promoting poverty and AIDS.
Uh...what's premarital sex got to do with anything? He was talking about about protection (which the Catholic Church opposes), no?
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

Obi Wan's Ghost
Baninated
Apr 1, 2005, 01:58 AM

According to that which has been foreseen by the Jedi Council the Pope will die in 2 days, 7 hours and 14 minutes from the time of this post.

roberto blanco
Senior User
Apr 1, 2005, 02:20 AM

Terri Schiavo's death doesn't matter?
the death of thousands of people all across the planet doesn't matter?

where are they in that list?

it's sickening to see how terri schiavo has been instrumentalized by the religious selfRIGHTeous to push their morbid obsession with death, errr "life", into cultural discourse.

thousands upon thousands of people die each day (some much more horribly than t.s.)...truly disgusting.

the pope is just another human being, he is going to die like the rest of us, and while i personally don't understand why he would torture himself like this (though i have heard this is part of catholic religion ) i whish him a smooth journey to the final psp battle...

/~ 15 hrs and counting. (my guesstimate)

life results from the non-random survival of randomly varying replicators - r. dawkins

malvolio
Professional Poster
Apr 1, 2005, 02:42 AM

Originally posted by roberto blanco:
Okay, I'm starting up a Pope's Passing Pool. $5 to enter, contestant whose guess is closest to the actual time of death gets the whole bundle.
I'm guessing 4/2 at 1 a.m. EST.
/mal
"I sentence you to be hanged by the neck until you cheer up."
MacBook Pro 15" w/ Mac OS 10.8.2, iPhone 4S & iPad 4th-gen. w/ iOS 6.1.2

ironknee
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 1, 2005, 02:47 AM

to be fair...this pope was the first to recognize Galileo was right...didn't he do that? i thought i heard that once

anyways, better late than never...

wouldn't it be cool if they elected a black pope? wouldn't that just freak out all the catholics? of course it would!

armageddon!

Link
Professional Poster
Apr 1, 2005, 03:35 AM

the death of thousands of people all across the planet doesn't matter?

where are they in that list?

it's sickening to see how terri schiavo has been instrumentalized by the religious selfRIGHTeous to push their morbid obsession with death, errr "life", into cultural discourse.

I think you have a morbid obsession with watching obituary lists.. I bet you brag to your friends about being the first to report tragic events.
thousands upon thousands of people die each day (some much more horribly than t.s.)...truly disgusting.
Yes, we know.. but we can't fix everything now can we..

the pope is just another human being, he is going to die like the rest of us, and while i personally don't understand why he would torture himself like this (though i have heard this is part of catholic religion ) i whish him a smooth journey to the final psp battle...

Why would he torture himself? How's he torturing himself? He wants to live through it.. THAT'S A NATURAL INSTINCTUAL THING YOU IDIOT. Why don't you stop torturing US and go shoot yourself.. You're so obsessed with seeing another death in the news so you might as well contribute

Now, you really just pissed me off. Honestly, that comment about commiting suicide is a bit out of anger.. why are you suggesting this sort of garbage? The pope is one of the most powerful religious leaders, and if he wants to live LET HIM, don't sit there rooting on crap like this.. I find it quite offensive, actually, that you do such things..

You know, the TS case was a great awwakening for a lot of people, not only should you make a living will if you want to die in such a case, but now you'll need to make one EVEN IF YOU WANT TO LIVE THROUGH IT.. I know I will, as will most everoyne else in our family in case we end up in such a situation where we have an SO who wants to 'get over it'..
Aloha

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Apr 1, 2005, 04:11 AM

Originally posted by Link:
You know, the TS case was a great awwakening for a lot of people, not only should you make a living will if you want to die in such a case, but now you'll need to make one EVEN IF YOU WANT TO LIVE THROUGH IT.. I know I will, as will most everoyne else in our family in case we end up in such a situation where we have an SO who wants to 'get over it'..
You didn't previously know that legal guardians have the right to make a medical decision on behalf of the person they're in charge of? Seriously? I thought it was just the media making up this mass ignorance of a very commonly used law.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

roberto blanco
Senior User
Apr 1, 2005, 04:18 AM

I think you have a morbid obsession with watching obituary lists.. I bet you brag to your friends about being the first to report tragic events.
errr, no you dolt, that's just common knowledge. but probably too much to expect from a geek wearing a fairy costume...

you don't exactly need to read any "obituaries" in order to know that many many people die on this planet every day!

The pope is one of the most powerful religious leaders...
so f*in what? he is a human being just like the rest of us, - of course it is his choice that he can live like this, but then the only thing i wrote, is that i "can't understand" how somebody would torture himself like this...*duh*

I know I will, as will most everoyne else in our family in case we end up in such a situation...
judging from your moronic posts, you already are...
( Last edited by roberto blanco; Apr 1, 2005 at 04:53 AM. )

life results from the non-random survival of randomly varying replicators - r. dawkins

Hugi
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 1, 2005, 04:47 AM

Originally posted by SimeyTheLimey:
As a matter of fact, it has been in the news just this week. BBC article BBC "analysis".
Ah, I hadn't seen that. It'll be interesting to see how it turns out...

Cody Dawg  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 1, 2005, 05:05 AM

4:00 AM EST and The Vatican says "the Pope has suffered a cardiovascular collapse."

Does that mean he has died?

I loved this Pope. He was very kind and loving and cared deeply.

badidea
Professional Poster
Apr 1, 2005, 05:11 AM

Originally posted by tooki:
"Pope: Extremely Ill & Possibly Dying"

"Possibly" ?!?

More like "almost certainly"!
Possibly??? Almost certainly???

He's human and therefore dying for sure, like everyone of us!!

Cipher13
Apr 1, 2005, 05:12 AM

He's been on his death bed for a long time. Personally, I don't care any more about the Pope than any other person I've never met. Infact, I care less; he's an ignorant person, who spreads the archaic words of an archaic faith.

His comments about condoms put the final nail into his coffin, in my mind. Before that, I didn't like him; since then, I've quite despised him.

that'd be the second brain dead person to go in 24 hrs...
roberto blanco: 1. Pope: 0.

Originally posted by mitchell_pgh:
Because OBVIOUSLY the Pope gave people AIDS
No, that was your God. The Pope just supported it.

Originally posted by Scotttheking:
Funny, Bush says the same thing.
And everybody loves Bush...

Zimphire
Baninated
Apr 1, 2005, 08:19 AM

Originally posted by Severed Hand of Skywalker:
Oh and what Christian doesn't feel they have a duty to christ, just gives them an excuse to push their views on others.
How do you know what Christians do and don't feel?

And for the last time, Catholicism does not mean all of Christianity. Not even close.

When you realize that I'll even bake you a cake.

Zimphire
Baninated
Apr 1, 2005, 08:22 AM

The difference they are not stickler thumpers like yourself and others here.

I've only met one "Thumper" in here, and no it's not me.

Can you believe that AMERICAN Christian groups are actually dumping money into Advertising in Canada to stop gay marriages in Canada? How completely sick/warped/twisted/evil is that?

I guess it depends on what side of the moral compass you stand on.
But I see you are trying to turn this into yet another stupid " I hate teh US and Christians" thread.

Do me a favor, come up with ONE case of a gay person beating someone up because they are straight, or one gay person beating up a a Christian because of what they practice. Common, I dare ya.
You "Beat people up" here daily SWF. Sometimes words hurt worse than hits.
But I am sure you don't see that you are just like the person you hate.

BTW I don't know why anyone is happy about this... it's not like the guy who is replacing him isn't going to have to exact same beliefs.
( Last edited by Zimphire; Apr 1, 2005 at 08:31 AM. )

Cody Dawg  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 1, 2005, 08:42 AM

Quit bringing gay and Canadian and gay Canadian issues up in a thread about the health of the Pope.

Start another thread to do that, will ya?

Hi Zimphire.

effgee
Caffeinated Theme Master
Apr 1, 2005, 08:48 AM

WTF is going on here? What is this - the "celebrity deatwatch" forum?

And yeah, as far as this particular turd of a thread/crapping contest is concerned ...

Cody Dawg  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 1, 2005, 09:04 AM

effgee: You're good!

theolein
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 1, 2005, 09:12 AM

effgee: You're good!

You aren't. I really wish you'd leave this forum and go to a bored housewife forum instead, where you'll find lots of like minds.
weird wabbit

Cody Dawg  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 1, 2005, 09:16 AM

Well, I can't say what I think of you here.

At least *some* people have a reasonable semblance of intelligence and/or talent, both of which you are sorely lacking.

Besides, I'm working right now, making money, along with posting at the forum. I'm not a "bored housewife," but why don't you go ahead and pitch that to Mark Burnett and see if he makes it into a new series.

demograph68
Professional Poster
Apr 1, 2005, 09:21 AM

I just laughed.

theolein
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 1, 2005, 09:29 AM

Well, I can't say what I think of you here.

At least *some* people have a reasonable semblance of intelligence and/or talent, both of which you are sorely lacking.

Besides, I'm working right now, making money, along with posting at the forum. I'm not a "bored housewife," but why don't you go ahead and pitch that to Mark Burnett and see if he makes it into a new series.

Edit: Since this is going too far, I'll explain what it is exactly about you that I don't like Cody Dawg, and then I'll leave this topic for good.

Firstly, to be honest, I've never really liked you. IMO, you've always been one to post rubbish from tabloid magazines, just like that person that a lot of us think you really are, aka iwrite.

But what really did it for me was your thread with the (in your limited view) ironic title urging people to starve both Steven Hawking and Terri Schiavo. In other words, you were equating the two, disregarding the fact that Steven Hawking has written the odd book or two about Quantum Physics, a simple EEG on both people's temples would have revealed the difference.

It was pure flamebait, and people who resort to flamebait are people who generally can't argue their points from a substantive basis. It was pure rabble rousing as well. Intended to stir up the masses just like the politicians have done.

And what was really over the top was when you, confronted with a horde of angry posters, resorted to the self-pity angle, explaining that story about your father in law dying.

In other words you wanted us to suddenly pity you.

And I mean you, not your father in law, not Terri Schiavo, not the Pope nor anyone else. You simply want people to take pity on you, and give you attention that you otherwise lack.

Do you now understand why I so dislike you and why you so repulse me? You are willing to use any means necessary, including real life, life or death situations in order to attract attention.

And that's pretty sick.
( Last edited by theolein; Apr 1, 2005 at 10:10 AM. )
weird wabbit

Mithras
Professional Poster
Apr 1, 2005, 09:55 AM

theolein, I don't think your ad uxorem attack is necessary here (true as it may be). We're all just wasting time here anyway, right?
Anyway, I wish the Pope a painless and comfortable death, and that he may believe unto the last moment that he is headed to a better place.

I do think it's perfectly reasonable to size up the legacy of a person, for good or for ill, as their death approaches. And while I found this pope personally quite charming, and his stalwart defense of human freedom against Communism inspiring, his primary legacy will be of an unprecedented reactionary, whose teachings on sex and family planning in particular cast millions into unnecessary poverty and disease.

theolein
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 1, 2005, 10:12 AM

Originally posted by Mithras:
theolein, I don't think your ad uxorem attack is necessary here (true as it may be). We're all just wasting time here anyway, right?...
You're right and I apologise. I've edited the post to air my grievances with that woman and I'll leave it at that now.
weird wabbit

Cody Dawg  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 1, 2005, 11:14 AM

Feel sorry for ME?

Seriously, I don't want anyone to feel sorry for me. I'm not worth it - for real.

Save your pity for someone else. I'm very blessed.

As far as "liking" me or not, remember to repeat one thing over and over to yourself:

"This is not the real world and I do not know these people...this is not the real world and I do not know these people...this is not the real world and I do not know these people."

Have a nice day, theolein.

RAILhead
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 1, 2005, 11:28 AM

I hope and pray he has no pain in these last moments. I'm not of his Faith, but I know many who are -- and I respect their beliefs as their beliefs just as they respect mine (some of you should learn such a lesson).

That said, I know his passing will be difficult for many Catholics, and I pray that their faith would be strengthened, knowing that God's angels await the Pope's passing so that they can usher him into Glory.

Maury
"Everything's so clear to me now: I'm the keeper of the cheese and you're the lemon merchant. Get it? And he knows it.
That's why he's gonna kill us. So we got to beat it. Yeah. Before he let's loose the marmosets on us."
my band • my web site • my guitar effects • my photos • facebook • brightpoint

Severed Hand of Skywalker
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 1, 2005, 11:48 AM

Originally posted by ironknee:
to be fair...this pope was the first to recognize Galileo was right...didn't he do that? i thought i heard that once
It is almost scarier that he has to publicly announce something l like that in the first place.

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

budster101
Baninated
Location: Illinois might be cold and flat, but at least it's ugly.
Apr 1, 2005, 11:50 AM

Sad.

It is almost scarier that he has to publicly announce something l like that in the first place.
"Elements of Style" - Look it up.

English I speak well write poorly.

andi*pandi
Apr 1, 2005, 11:56 AM

I wish him neither ill nor good... I once thought he was progressive as far a s popes go, but in his later years he's surprised me with very conservative views.--enough to make me wonder if someone else was pullingt the strings.

who is next in line?

dav
Mac Elite
Apr 1, 2005, 11:57 AM

"This is not the real world and I do not know these people...this is not the real world and I do not know these people...this is not the real world and I do not know these people."
on the other hand, it appears to me that theolein presents himself here as a real person, not some comical persona in need of some fulfillment

budster101
Baninated
Apr 1, 2005, 12:02 PM

Originally posted by theolein:
Edit: Since this is going too far, I'll explain what it is exactly about you that I don't like Cody Dawg, and then I'll leave this topic for good.

Firstly, to be honest, I've never really liked you. IMO, you've always been one to post rubbish from tabloid magazines, just like that person that a lot of us think you really are, aka iwrite.

But what really did it for me was your thread with the (in your limited view) ironic title urging people to starve both Steven Hawking and Terri Schiavo. In other words, you were equating the two, disregarding the fact that Steven Hawking has written the odd book or two about Quantum Physics, a simple EEG on both people's temples would have revealed the difference.

It was pure flamebait, and people who resort to flamebait are people who generally can't argue their points from a substantive basis. It was pure rabble rousing as well. Intended to stir up the masses just like the politicians have done.

And what was really over the top was when you, confronted with a horde of angry posters, resorted to the self-pity angle, explaining that story about your father in law dying.

In other words you wanted us to suddenly pity you.

And I mean you, not your father in law, not Terri Schiavo, not the Pope nor anyone else. You simply want people to take pity on you, and give you attention that you otherwise lack.

Do you now understand why I so dislike you and why you so repulse me? You are willing to use any means necessary, including real life, life or death situations in order to attract attention.

And that's pretty sick.
And this was the edited version? Cold dude. Cold.

Severed Hand of Skywalker
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 1, 2005, 12:39 PM

Support the pope with this sexy new t-shirt:

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

Millennium
Clinically Insane
Apr 1, 2005, 01:03 PM

Originally posted by andi*pandi:
I wish him neither ill nor good... I once thought he was progressive as far a s popes go, but in his later years he's surprised me with very conservative views.--enough to make me wonder if someone else was pullingt the strings.
I wonder if he's changed his views, or if the world has simply changed around him, such that he once seemed liberal but now seems conservative. It's hard to deny that during his papacy the world has gone through a great many upheavals of many types, certainly not as a result of his reign but contemporary with it nonetheless. Certainly it has changed around most if not all of us during this time frame, so why not him as well?

To be "liberal" is nothing more than to favor change, and to be "conservative" is nothing more than to oppose change. It is a rare person indeed who truly adopts these concepts as an ideology. Most people believe in things more concrete than that, and only happen to be liberal or conservative because of when and where they are. This is something that people on both sides of an issue often forget.
You are in Soviet Russia. It is dark. Grue is likely to be eaten by YOU!

budster101
Baninated
Apr 1, 2005, 01:06 PM

Support the pope with this sexy new t-shirt:

[img]http://www.tshirthell.com/shirts/products/a458/a****you.gif[/img]
Poor taste. Par for you, but poor taste, and not even remotely funny. Just like your "To hell with Terri Schiavo" version.

badidea
Professional Poster
Apr 1, 2005, 01:49 PM

(R.I.P.)

edit: not yet - my mom was wrong
( Last edited by badidea; Apr 1, 2005 at 02:04 PM. )

ironknee
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 1, 2005, 02:26 PM

oh man...i just remembered a mock christian website a year or so ago with the headline, die already!...

oh CNN:1:25 eastern...pope is dead

wdlove
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 1, 2005, 02:33 PM

I had properly diagnosed him yesterday. The news of a urinary infection, high fever, and low blood pressure. Indicative of septic shock, a very serious condition. Have heard today that there is some heart, kidney, and liver failure, indicative. His body is shutting down due to the shock, it's trying to protect itself. If true that he is in a coma, sadly he is near the end. May he go in peace, God Bless You Pope John Paul II.

"Never give in, never give in, never, never, never, never - in nothing, great or small, large or petty - never give in except to convictions of honor and good sense." Winston Churchill

ironknee
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 1, 2005, 02:41 PM

any1 old enough to remember when the last pope died? the white and black smoke signals...

videian28
Mac Elite
Apr 1, 2005, 02:43 PM

well apparently he is not dead yet, the Vatican just confirmed

malvolio
Professional Poster
Apr 1, 2005, 02:45 PM

Italian media is now saying he's dead.
/mal

ironknee
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 1, 2005, 02:51 PM

Originally posted by videian28:
well apparently he is not dead yet, the Vatican just confirmed
maybe it's a second wind...or second coming

malvolio
Professional Poster
Apr 1, 2005, 03:02 PM

Originally posted by ironknee:
any1 old enough to remember when the last pope died? the white and black smoke signals...
Yeah, in fact it was twice within a few months (anybody remember John Paul I?).

And it looks like Italian media jumped the gun. Vatican says he's still alive.
/mal

Forum Links
Forum Rules