Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > So I toyed with a Mac for the first time ever today...

So I toyed with a Mac for the first time ever today...
meelk
Baninated
Apr 6, 2005, 09:46 PM

sloppy cut and paste as I posted this elsewhere to friends:

Ok, So I played with OSX about an hour and a half, just f***ing off, finding things, checking out how the OS tends to things, and really I wasnt all that impressed. Granted, I dont know enough about it to make a REALLY informed decision yet, but from a short look its not all that exciting.
The Good:
*Ability to scale icons to any size you want, place the dock anywhere, nice dock animation effects, etc.
*A 1.25ghz machine with 256 meg of a ram was a lot more responsive than I thought it would be, and this would be a good parent/grandparent machine.
*The apple keyboard just feels nice in some way thats hard to describe. The keys feel almost rubbery.
*Opening a program changes the status of the toolbar up top to reflect that program and its options can be found there. I read this was mandated by apple to all software developers, and its a damn nice thing to have.

The Bad:
*The apple mouse. What kind of a joke is this? Not only did it only have one button, it felt like sh*t. It just didnt track well or something, I felt like I was using a ball mouse.
*This is probably me not knowing how to "fix it" - opening a program, then closing a program with the red x/dot doesnt actually close that program it just sends it to the dock to run in the background denoted by a small triangle under its icon, that is REALLY irritating, especially with something like a .jpg or .gif which run the "preview" icon on the dock.
*Finder f***ing sucks me, MS sh*ts on apple with windows explorer.

I want to see what longhorn has to offer before I would even consider making any kind of perm. move to OSX, Ill give it one thing though, its certainly "different".

theolein
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 6, 2005, 09:52 PM

This is the first time you used OSX? And you were the clown who tried to inform us in that other thread how much better Windows was than OSX despite the fact that you had no experience with it? If this was Slashdot, you'd get a -1 Troll for that piece of crap.
weird wabbit

Socially Awkward Solo
Professional Poster
Apr 6, 2005, 09:55 PM

Originally posted by meelk:
*This is probably me not knowing how to "fix it" - opening a program, then closing a program with the red x/dot doesnt actually close that program it just sends it to the dock to run in the background denoted by a small triangle under its icon, that is REALLY irritating, especially with something like a .jpg or .gif which run the "preview" icon on the dock.
Why would you want the app to quit just because you don't have an image open?

"Laugh it up, fuzz ball!"

meelk  (op)
Baninated
Apr 6, 2005, 09:57 PM

Originally posted by theolein:
This is the first time you used OSX? And you were the clown who tried to inform us in that other thread how much better Windows was than OSX despite the fact that you had no experience with it? If this was Slashdot, you'd get a -1 Troll for that piece of crap.
Ahah. The mating call of virgin nerdom. "If this was Slashdot!"

meelk  (op)
Baninated
Apr 6, 2005, 09:58 PM

Originally posted by Socially Awkward Solo:
Why would you want the app to quit just because you don't have an image open?
I just find the dock a lot "wierder" than windows taskbar.

Socially Awkward Solo
Professional Poster
Apr 6, 2005, 10:01 PM

By the sounds of it I think you should just stick to windows man.

"Laugh it up, fuzz ball!"

storer
Mac Elite
Apr 6, 2005, 10:01 PM

The Bad:
Definetly you not knowing how to fix it. It's been like this ever since Classic OS. You have to actually quit the program, not just close the window. It is a handy feature, as you can keep a program open without having anything in the workspace. Think of the window as an item in Windows photoshop. You're in photoshop. You close the photoshop document. The workspace stays. Same thing happens in OSX.
*The apple mouse. What kind of a joke is this? Not only did it only have one button, it felt like sh*t. It just didnt track well or something, I felt like I was using a ball mouse.
This actually quite surprises me. Most people find the mouse a welcome change. It's been proven to be much more ergonomic than the 2 button mice sported by Wintel systems.
I understand what a change it is in OSX, even from Classic or Windows, but it's just habitual. You just get too used to how Windows works. over time I have discovered many pros and a few cons of the Mac Finder, but it's something you adjust to.

Good luck with seeing the light someday soon. If you go into something with a negative standpoint, you will only see the small amount of bad, and none of the good.

Superchicken
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 6, 2005, 10:15 PM

You might try being... not so freakishly quick to judge? Seriously the Finder is one of the most complained about features of OS X, that said, that's only because OS X users have high standards. I recently tried to use Windows Explorer to go on a network, and dang it was confusing to someone who's not indoctrinated into Windows, I was having to right click, to bring up menus so I could do basic stuff, that on a Mac I could simply have searched the menus for, what if I hadn't thought to right click? Personally I think Explorer is an awful part of Windows, and would much sooner have something like how I have my Finder setup.
As for the mouse, you had the default settings, system prefs is your friend, almost everyone I know sets their mouse to go faster than Apple has it set to. As well it will by default track differently than Windows. Apple has a way of figuring out how fast the mouse should go that is different than that of Microsoft, it takes a bit to get used to, I personally always feel awkward on a PC for a while until I get used to the mouse again. That said, there are apps that can be used to switch the way the mouse works, as well you're not limited to Apple's mouse, you can get any USB mouse and it'll work.

historylme
Mac Elite
Apr 7, 2005, 01:37 AM

that's a lot of post for a window user in a Mac centric forum... what gives? I didn't think the lounge could be so entertaining to a window's person.

Play with the X more before making obvious observations to a mass of dedicated users. It's like going to the eskimos (Inuit) and telling them that there is only one shade of white snow.

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Apr 7, 2005, 01:43 AM

Your spelling is pretty weird, too.

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

Arty50
Mac Elite
Apr 7, 2005, 01:44 AM

Originally posted by storer:
[B]Definetly you not knowing how to fix it. It's been like this ever since Classic OS. You have to actually quit the program, not just close the window. It is a handy feature, as you can keep a program open without having anything in the workspace. Think of the window as an item in Windows photoshop. You're in photoshop. You close the photoshop document. The workspace stays. Same thing happens in OSX.
Exactly. The functionality of the Red X has been around a lot longer than Window's X. Imagine you had gone from Mac to Windows and you hit the X...ooops...I just quit the whole program. So don't get mad. You shouldn't have expected it to be the same.
"My friend, there are two kinds of people in this world:
those with loaded guns, and those who dig. You dig."

-Clint in "The Good, the Bad and the Ugly"

PB2K
Mac Elite
Apr 7, 2005, 04:19 AM

oh shut up all. someone used a mac for the first time and people even try to read his 'review'. it's pathetic in so many ways.

get lifes
{Animated sigs are not allowed.}

Randman
Posting Junkie
Apr 7, 2005, 04:22 AM

I don't remember why but the original troll is on my ignore list. Guess it was a good idea.

This is a computer-generated message and needs no signature.

His Dudeness
Mac Elite
Apr 7, 2005, 04:23 AM

Holy crap Mac sucks so bad! OS X sucks major balls because the mouse only has ONE BUTTON!!! Armaggeddddddon is upon us!

Randman
Posting Junkie
Apr 7, 2005, 05:06 AM

Does that mean if he tried OSX for the first time and used a double-button mouse, it would have been a great experience?

Would it have been even greater if it was on a trackball or mouse with like 7 buttons?

And does that mean that if he went to his beloved XP with a one-button mouse, it would suck?

Or does it mean that he's talking out his yahoo and doesn't really know what he's talking about at all since mouse usage and OS are totally different things all together?

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
Apr 7, 2005, 05:17 AM

Interesting, I've just started using Windows full time at my new job and think the task bar is worthless.

If you have more then 13 or so documents down there, good luck finding them. Also, the window in a window idea for programs/program files is simply silly. I just keep wanting to say "get out of my way" to the GUI. And the GUI is horrible. I reverted back to the 95 look and feel just to make it feel like a real OS.

tavilach
Mac Elite
Apr 7, 2005, 05:20 AM

Everyone is getting so riled up about how much of a moron the original poster is, but remember that many people react the way he did. The average person has an extremely short attention span, and as such, it's almost impossible to make someone change his/her views (regardless of how ridiculous they might be). It's part of human nature (and helps to account for Apple's low market share). Nothing can really be done, either. Humans will be stupid, just as dogs will bark (and dogs will be stupid, too...although mine is pretty damned smart).

The only people who typically end up switching are either very patient, very interested (i.e. they actually want to excite some neurons), or simply extremely complient (with a Mac-obsessed family member). Someone like this guy is a lost cause. Another switcher campaign couldn't hurt, but most people would talk during the commercial, and then shout, "Look at all those stupid Mac people, hahaha!"

Let him think that there's nothing special about Macs. There's nothing we can do about it.

So, in short...

HOORAY4WINDOWSEXPLORERWOOT!
"Give me a lever long enough and a fulcrum on which to place it, and I shall move the world." -Archimedes

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Apr 7, 2005, 05:30 AM

Originally posted by PB2K:
oh shut up all. someone used a mac for the first time and people even try to read his 'review'. it's pathetic in so many ways.

get lifes
I am having difficulty decoding the meaning of that sentence, even though it is seemingly in English. What's pathetic? The original post or the responses to it? "Get lifes?" Get grammar. PB2K, maybe you are having an off night, but your post makes meelk look rational in comparison.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

effgee
Caffeinated Theme Master
Apr 7, 2005, 05:39 AM

... Finder f***ing sucks me, MS sh*ts on apple with windows explorer.
Nothing else needs to be added to this thread.

Randman
Posting Junkie
Apr 7, 2005, 05:40 AM

Originally posted by mitchell_pgh:
Interesting, I've just started using Windows full time at my new job and think the task bar is worthless.
How is that going?

effgee
Caffeinated Theme Master
Apr 7, 2005, 05:44 AM

Interesting, I've just started using Windows full time at my new job and think the task bar is worthless. ...
And that's putting it politely, too. The whole shebang, including the start menu, system tray, etc. is nothing but a useless pile of crap.

roberto blanco
Senior User
Apr 7, 2005, 06:34 AM

*The apple mouse. What kind of a joke is this?
don't like it? -just get a different one. (you can even bring over your 50000 button microsoft mouse)

*This is probably me not knowing how to "fix it" - opening a program, then closing a program with the red x/dot doesnt actually close that program it just sends it to the dock to run in the background...
it's a feature, not a bug. the window or ui is not the app! by hitting the red x, all you do is close a "window". the app is still open.

having said that, i can't believe you mentioned this as a "negative" against os x! try imagining a traditional mac user toying around with windows for the first time...and closing an app with that "x"...would be equally frustrating...

want to quit an app? - cmd. [the "apple button] + q

this is the only gripe i have with os x at all...if you have a few "sub folders" it's a bitch to move files around, imho.

other than that, panther crushes windows xp in just about any category imaginable (and i know how to work windows just the well as os x)

life results from the non-random survival of randomly varying replicators - r. dawkins

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
Apr 7, 2005, 06:43 AM

Originally posted by Randman:
How is that going?
To be brutally honest, I really like the Outlook integration. Calendars, email, notes, etc. etc. all working together... in groups is great for scheduling events. I would love for iCal and mail to borrow some of the better ideas included in Outlook.

Windows itself IS snappy... but the GUI is simply cluttered, non-intuitive and simply backwards in many ways. I also hate the screen fonts. I've used Windows in the past, but not for 8 hour blocks, 5 days a week. There are also VERY simple things that OS X handles perfectly... but Windows doesn't. [example: Finding the word count on a PDF document. There are numerous ways to do it on a Mac (without anything more then the OS) it's not that way on Windows] I realize that example is arguably unimportant, but when you add up 10 or 15 of those "little things" it makes a day slow to a crawl.

And just yesterday I found myself trying to control + z something to undo on my Mac

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Apr 7, 2005, 06:47 AM

And just yesterday I found myself trying to control + z something to undo on my Mac
Yeah, I know how disturbing that can be. If I use Windows for even a couple of hours and come back to a Mac, I find myself trying to do control+s or control+c.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

effgee
Caffeinated Theme Master
Apr 7, 2005, 06:53 AM

Originally posted by roberto blanco:
... this is the only gripe i have with os x at all...if you have a few "sub folders" it's a bitch to move files around, imho.
And that particular task is supposed to be accomplished more easily in Win XP ??? How so?

Hawkeye_a
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 7, 2005, 07:11 AM

Look at the menubar. look at its organization:
apple menu=system commands such as shut down, sleep, etc.
Application menu= application specific, hide, quit, etc
next file menu= actions for documents handeled by the application thats active, open,close, etc
next edit menu = manage smaller parts of the document.

Thats imo is the best and most efficient representation yet.

Also the 'nice' icons and the dock....what you are looking at on a Mac is a PDF. the entire screen is rendered using Quartz Extreme(PDF based)...so all those effectes can be applied to anything on screen. Taken one step further all the compositing is done on the graphics card.
(for your information, you can drag anything you want into the toolbar of a finder window, or move em around, just like the widgets in the upper right corner of the screen(try doing that on Windows).

IE sucks...i agree with you. Gie Office a try...apparently its the best implementation of office out there.

Mouse... plug in another one...all right-button and scrool work out of the box.

Waiting for longhorn ? yeah....given that Microsoft has ripped off the hardware compositing aspect(they show off transparency in windows like they invented it), the antialiasing uses similar technologies to Quartz and PDF, except microsoft copied it and called it their own. And i can guarantee that the onscreen animations will look very similar to the genie effect and the dock. So basically theyre 6-7 years late....and you still want to see what they will come out with ? ill tell you here...they will come out with a competitor to OSX, 7 years after the fact, that employs similar technologies and capabilities for half the price because they dont know how to innovate.

When it comes out all the wintel geeks will be screaming from the roomtops and the mac geeks(like myself) will be wondering why they have been living in a cave for the past 6 years.

You goota hand it to Microsoft though...it took em a decade to pirate the initial Mac OS, they have basically halved the time to copy an OS from Apple.

roberto blanco
Senior User
Apr 7, 2005, 07:14 AM

Originally posted by effgee:
And that particular task is supposed to be accomplished more easily in Win XP ??? How so?

well, using the windows explorer, you could easily drag a few files from folder x > y (sub) > z (sub) to folder x > a (sub) > b (sub), with only one window open.

life results from the non-random survival of randomly varying replicators - r. dawkins

Mac Elite
Apr 7, 2005, 07:36 AM

- opening a program, then closing a program with the red x/dot doesnt actually close that program it just sends it to the dock to run in the background denoted by a small triangle under its icon,
This function is inconsistant across apps. It annoys me too. Sometimes it shuts the app down completely, some times it sends it to the backgrownd.

One difference: I think it should never close the application.

effgee
Caffeinated Theme Master
Apr 7, 2005, 08:05 AM

well, using the windows explorer, you could easily drag a few files from folder x > y (sub) > z (sub) to folder x > a (sub) > b (sub), with only one window open.
Well, how about opening a new Finder window (cmd-n), switching to column view (cmd-3) and you'll have 99% of the fexibility that retarded piece of crap explorer provides. Open a second Finder window in the same fashion, align them vertically, place all your favorite drives/folders in the Finder window's toolbar and you never have to open another Finder window - ever.

You'll outpace that POS that explorer is in every single task I have ever encountered - ten times more flexibel, easier to adapt to your working environment (customizable toolbar), and at least eleventy billion times faster.

Every single piece of "Finder" equivalent under any flavor of Windows is unproductive bullsh!t because it is (almost) entirely mouse-/click-based. No matter what your personal preference, there is no arguing over the fact that keyboard shortcuts (speed-wise) beat the pants off any mouse-/click-based action (plus, it helps keeping your fingers/hands/wrists healthy).

Maybe a bunch of DVD-ripping 14yr-old gamers are convinced that the more distance they cover with their mouse the cooler their OS is but I need to get my fscking work done - quickly and efficiently.

Which brings me to a few questions about Windows that I could never find an answer to:
  • What's the keyboard shortcut for opening a new explorer window?
  • What's the keyboard shortcut for creating a new folder?
  • What's the keyboard shortcut for "highlighting"/"activating" a file name so you can rename it ("Enter" on the Mac)? And no, "alt-enter" does not count.
  • What's the keyboard shortcut for hiding an (as in: one, not all of them) application so you can access your explorer windows faster?

roberto blanco
Senior User
Apr 7, 2005, 08:17 AM

Well, how about opening a new Finder window (cmd-n), switching to column view (cmd-3) and you'll have 99% of the fexibility that retarded piece of crap explorer provides. Open a second Finder window in the same fashion, align them vertically, place all your favorite drives/folders in the Finder window's toolbar and you never have to open another Finder window - ever.
that's actually what i do, most of the time.

but somehow, a view with a left hand column that lets you access all folders from one single window, still is a bit more flexible (in terms of drag and drop) as the finder in os x.

like i said though, that, for me, is just about the only advantage i can think of.

Randman
Posting Junkie
Apr 7, 2005, 08:20 AM

I use N-Commander to flop commands so I can use Apple N to create a new folder.
And I use Deja Menu so I have menubar command options from anywhere on the screen.
Both are freeware.

BoomStick
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 7, 2005, 08:27 AM

Funny, my optical 2 button scroll wheel microsoft mouse works fine with my new G5.

Strange that my Dell came with a ball mouse and within an hour of power up for the first time, it was rendered unusable by spyware.

meelk, your post was indeed a fistfull of stupid.

theolein
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 7, 2005, 08:46 AM

Ahah. The mating call of virgin nerdom. "If this was Slashdot!"
Uhm, if I remember correctly, you were the one who informed us in the other thread about what a competent computer user you were. You know, you told us you didn't need to listen to a professional Windows developer who had access to Longhorn betas because you knew more than he did. You told us how bad Mac OSX was compared to Windows, until someone noticed that you'd never actually used OSX. Then you told us that there was no Apple store in your state and that was a reason not to get a Mac, until someone pointed out that all the foreign Mac users here don't have Apple stores either.

Now, you actually admit you've never used OSX, and post your "review" of OSX and the Mac, in a Mac forum. Not surprisingly, you, as a real "power user", with loads of "computer experience", have difficulty using it. You don't think to actually ask about any one of those points you mentioned as "bad", but you diss them anyway, because they're "different". (Rumour has it that Apple is finally making a two button mouse, just for you)

Your verdict was a huge surprise in that you say, once again, just like in the other thread, that you'll wait for Longhorn, even though you have no experience with that either.

Why did you even bother?
weird wabbit

Apple Pro Underwear
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 7, 2005, 09:05 AM

I want to see what longhorn has to offer before I would even consider making any kind of perm. move to OSX, Ill give it one thing though, its certainly "different".
if you're happy with Windows you should stick with it.

i'm not being mean, it seems you know a lot about computers and if you never had a reason to switch... you shouldn't.

Randman
Posting Junkie
Apr 7, 2005, 09:12 AM

I wonder if this dude is John Dvorak?

effgee
Caffeinated Theme Master
Apr 7, 2005, 09:17 AM

Originally posted by Randman:
I wonder if this dude is John Dvorak?
"I wonder if this dude is John Dvorak's son?"

fixed™

AB^2=BCxAC
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 7, 2005, 09:19 AM

100+ posts at MacNN and he's just now trying a mac...

Come out of the closet soon, ok? you're only hurting yourself. You know you've been a mac user in your heart all along.
"I stand accused, just like you, for being born without a silver spoon." Richard Ashcroft

Oisín
Moderator Emeritus
Apr 7, 2005, 10:14 AM

Which brings me to a few questions about Windows that I could never find an answer to:
  • What's the keyboard shortcut for opening a new explorer window?
  • What's the keyboard shortcut for creating a new folder?
  • What's the keyboard shortcut for "highlighting"/"activating" a file name so you can rename it ("Enter" on the Mac)? And no, "alt-enter" does not count.
  • What's the keyboard shortcut for hiding an (as in: one, not all of them) application so you can access your explorer windows faster?
1. Same as opening the first one, Windows key + E. Of course, this opens a new Explorer window at the standard starting point, it doesn't take it to the same place on the hard drive as the first window is.
2. Don't think there is one.
3. Assuming you have the icon selected already, you can either mouse-click once on the text (not the icon), or you can click F2. F2 also works for editing names of songs in iTunes and WMP, etc.
4. You mean the shortcut for minimizing the current program only? I know there is one ('cause I sometimes do it by accident), but I can't find it either. The closest I can get is Alt + space -> I (Alt + space opens the main windows' System menu, I is the letter for minimize). Of course, there's also Windows key + M and Windows key + D that minimize all windows and shows you the desktop. The only difference I can see between the two is that if you have two separate screens running, Windows key + M only minimizes windows on your main screen, while Windows key + D minimizes all windows on both screens. Use Shift + Windows key + M to undo the minimization.

Oisín
Moderator Emeritus
Apr 7, 2005, 10:15 AM

Originally posted by history1me:
that's a lot of post for a window user in a Mac centric forum... what gives? I didn't think the lounge could be so entertaining to a window's person.
*ahem*

*clears throat*

*tumbleweeds blow*

OreoCookie
Apr 7, 2005, 10:31 AM

Originally posted by Ois�n:
2. Don't think there is one.
You can create a new folder by pressing Shift + Apple + N.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

Xeo
Moderator Emeritus
Apr 7, 2005, 10:39 AM

but somehow, a view with a left hand column that lets you access all folders from one single window, still is a bit more flexible (in terms of drag and drop) as the finder in os x.
"A view with a left hand column" in what? How do you accomplish your moving from sub folder to sub folder in Explorer? How do you do it in OS X?

Personally, in the Finder I'm always in column view. I drag the file over the icon of the parent folder (whichever it may be, I can get all the way to the root) and then via spring-loaded folders I get down to the new sub directory I want.

In Explorer, I would probably just use cut and paste which could be simpler considering I don't have to hold onto the file while navigating. However, in OS X you can copy/paste files so that functionality is close to being there. Apple left cut/paste out for a reason though.

budster101
Baninated
Location: Illinois might be cold and flat, but at least it's ugly.
Apr 7, 2005, 11:05 AM

sloppy cut and paste as I posted this elsewhere to friends:

Ok, So I played with OSX about an hour and a half, just f***ing off, finding things, checking out how the OS tends to things, and really I wasnt all that impressed. Granted, I dont know enough about it to make a REALLY informed decision yet, but from a short look its not all that exciting.
The Good:
*Ability to scale icons to any size you want, place the dock anywhere, nice dock animation effects, etc.
*A 1.25ghz machine with 256 meg of a ram was a lot more responsive than I thought it would be, and this would be a good parent/grandparent machine.
*The apple keyboard just feels nice in some way thats hard to describe. The keys feel almost rubbery.
*Opening a program changes the status of the toolbar up top to reflect that program and its options can be found there. I read this was mandated by apple to all software developers, and its a damn nice thing to have.

The Bad:

This is a joke right?

Mac OS uses keyboard shortcuts, and in combination with the mouse, but you can use any mouse you want...

Command-W closes windows
Command-Q quits programs currently open

Command-Tab shows you what is running and you can then arrow through the list to select and or close any programs.

Mac OS X is far more clean, faster, and stable than MS Windows.

Why do you need finder?
Windows Explorer SUCKS... if you use it....

Edit: When you have a program running in the dock, you can do a few things to close it...

1. Click on it and hold, menu, quit... etc.
2. Command Tab - Find the program then quit it.
3. Select the Program in the Dock, and then Command-Q

Pick up a book, go to an Apple Store, learn a few things before showing what an idiot you are.

---

I was a MS Windows user for many years, I was using computers before DOS, and during DOS..

I think you need to take some more time with a Mac.

100 plus posts, and you are now realizing you don't like OS X?
I now that was mentioned but it needs to be repeated. I think you are a troll.

DeathToWindows
Professional Poster
Apr 7, 2005, 11:39 AM

'hood, can we have the hammer please. And maybe some chain so we can deal with this troll...

thanks

Don't try to outweird me, I get stranger things than you free with my breakfast cereal.

roberto blanco
Senior User
Apr 7, 2005, 11:51 AM

Originally posted by Xeo:
"A view with a left hand column" in what?
finder/explorer

How do you accomplish your moving from sub folder to sub folder in Explorer?
i open all the folders (including subfolders) i need to in the left hand column of the explorer, then i go to the folder that contains whatever files i want to move, and drag and drop them to the new destination.

How do you do it in OS X?
pretty much the way effgee suggested. two finder windows open in column view. and i also use springloaded folders.

meelk  (op)
Baninated
Apr 7, 2005, 12:43 PM

Originally posted by CharlesS:
Your spelling is pretty weird, too.
wow, I transposed 2 letters. FOR THE LOVE OF GOD PLEASE DONT POST ABOUT IT! oh wait, too late.

meelk  (op)
Baninated
Apr 7, 2005, 12:46 PM

Originally posted by budster101:

Pick up a book, go to an Apple Store, learn a few things before showing what an idiot you are.

Oh, I learned how to close things that were open in the dock, I never said I didnt. Not knowing how to do something doesnt make you stupid. For such an "enlightened" individual I would think you would grasp this, but apparently not.

budster101
Baninated
Location: Illinois might be cold and flat, but at least it's ugly.
Apr 7, 2005, 01:03 PM

Oh, I learned how to close things that were open in the dock, I never said I didnt. Not knowing how to do something doesnt make you stupid. For such an "enlightened" individual I would think you would grasp this, but apparently not.
Exactly the reaction I would expect from a Troller. I've seen this before. Take two <something> and then go buy a Mac.

Your envy is just spilling over.

meelk  (op)
Baninated
Apr 7, 2005, 01:07 PM

Originally posted by theolein:
Uhm, if I remember correctly, you were the one who informed us in the other thread about what a competent computer user you were. You know, you told us you didn't need to listen to a professional Windows developer who had access to Longhorn betas because you knew more than he did. You told us how bad Mac OSX was compared to Windows, until someone noticed that you'd never actually used OSX. Then you told us that there was no Apple store in your state and that was a reason not to get a Mac, until someone pointed out that all the foreign Mac users here don't have Apple stores either.

Now, you actually admit you've never used OSX, and post your "review" of OSX and the Mac, in a Mac forum. Not surprisingly, you, as a real "power user", with loads of "computer experience", have difficulty using it. You don't think to actually ask about any one of those points you mentioned as "bad", but you diss them anyway, because they're "different". (Rumour has it that Apple is finally making a two button mouse, just for you)

Your verdict was a huge surprise in that you say, once again, just like in the other thread, that you'll wait for Longhorn, even though you have no experience with that either.

Why did you even bother?
Actually, anyone and everyone who wants to "have access" to longhorn Betas can do so in any huge range of ways. I could be running a longhorn beta now if I didnt want to wait for finished product, simply by warezing it (oh yes, the dreaded warez).
"Someone didnt notice I had never used OSX" I made that statement from the get go myself.
I said there was no Apple store in my state and the nearest place to even TRY a mac was several hours away until this week when BB received their Mac Mini.
I never posted a "REVIEW" of OSX, I posted short impressions, which, if you will read my topic clearly states "So I toyed with a Mac for the first time ever today..." I never made it out to be anything other than it was.
I didnt need to "ask" about the points I considered bad, I resolved them myself in store, I even had to show the best buy associate that a 2 button (or more) mouse could indeed be used on the mini easily. I learned to close apps running in the dock, etc. So yes, as a user to an enitirely new experience I went about things quite well I think.

I posted my short initial impressions of an OS I had never used before, and even noted "Granted, I dont know enough about it to make a REALLY informed decision yet".
If you dont think anyone and everyone walking up to this unit at best buy is going to have the EXACT same initial impressions I did after having used ONLY windows you are wrong, and you can like that or not.
I also like how this thread is this roaring personal attack on my intelligence, my character, etc. This is a forum on the internet, get a grip, your pathetic little whiney accusations and hateful forays are incredibly meaningless to me.
You would think I had you child at knifepoint and not that I was giving my impressions as a new user to your OS of choice. Before I go spending 5 or 6 thousand dollars on a really nice dp G5, I would like to see what MS has in store with longhorn, yes. I dont think that is odd whatsoever as I am already used to using windows.

Perhaps you should look into medication theolein, it might help your disposition.

effgee
Caffeinated Theme Master
Apr 7, 2005, 01:10 PM

... i open all the folders (including subfolders) i need to in the left hand column of the explorer, ...
Papapapap ... you do know that you can drag and drop files not only in the favorite folders you put in the window's toolbar (eg. "work", "active projects") but also in the lower half of the left-hand column (which is of course completely customizable, as well) where the drives are shown - right?

And meelk ...

Not knowing something does absolutely not make you an idiot - but not knowing something, not asking about it and, at the same time, publicly announcing that the very thing you don't know the first thing about is crap does at the very least make you look kind of uhm, ... unintelligent.

BoomStick
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 7, 2005, 01:12 PM

Before I go spending 5 or 6 thousand dollars on a really nice dp G5,.

Gee, you haven't checked the Apple store on PC mall have you?

I just spent 3 grand on a killer G5 system.

Forum Links
Forum Rules