Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > What was the first Mac you ever used?

What was the first Mac you ever used?
theolein
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 8, 2005, 12:30 AM

In the grand old tradition of incredibly inane MacNN questionaires, what was the first Mac you ever used? (If you can't remember Apple History has them all)

My first experience of actually working with a Mac was with a Mac IIci running System 6.07 with 8MB RAM and a 250MB drive in 1990 in my first PrePress job. I pretty soon got a Radius Rocket 68040 accelerator and a SuperMac 24bit graphics card. Those were really heady days, mucking about with the first versions of Photoshop and Illustrator 3 and doing the weird zapping of QXP patches, all the while praying that the Agfa hardware Postscript RIP wouldn't crash, which it sadly often did. I had just come from a job in the same company as a Windows 2.11/3.0 supporter and was totally bowled over by all the stuff the Mac could do, such as print massive files without crashing, 24 bit support etc and having no freaky memory setups.
weird wabbit

Randman
Posting Junkie
Apr 8, 2005, 12:37 AM

I was in high school but got to mess around with the Apple 128. At my university, the Mac SE was probably the one where I started to really work on Macs.

Later. I still remember the heady days of coloring Associated Press graphics such as the US weather map using MacPaint.

This is a computer-generated message and needs no signature.

sminch
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 8, 2005, 12:38 AM

the first mac i ever used was a 15" powerbook about a year ago, and it was so f@(#ing cool i was sold then and there. the backlit keyboard, shiny dock, general look and feel - all good. and what really sold it for me - here's a random selling point if ever there was one - was how in safari you can click the url in your address bar and then pull the cursor down and it'll highlight everything to the right, rather than in explorer how you have to scroll all the way through it to the end. oh yeah, and it had awesome japanese support in the os but it can easily change back to english, which was a big thing seeing as i was in japan at the time.

just wish i could afford a 15" powerbook...

sminch

storer
Mac Elite
Apr 8, 2005, 12:46 AM

An Apple II at my primary school. I'd never seen anything like it. I loved it. The first Macintosh I used was one of those Performa AIO models.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Apr 8, 2005, 12:51 AM

The SE/30s at my grandparents' office around 1989, followed by our LC, my family's first Mac.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

subego
Clinically Insane
Apr 8, 2005, 01:07 AM

Apple Macintosh, at a friend's house in 1985.

Right after the Bears won the '85 Superbowl (I'm from Chicago), I convinced my dad to get me a Mac 512K

Ahhh, fatbits.

Mitser
Forum Regular
Apr 8, 2005, 01:21 AM

Probably an Apple IIe, possibly the enhanced/platinum edition. I used it back in elementary school playing oregon trail and logo writer. I also used it for some math program but can not remember what it was called.

-Matt

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Apr 8, 2005, 01:57 AM

Mitser, I'm not sure the Apple II counts as it was not a Mac.

Anyway, my first Mac was a 512K, back in either 1985 or 1986 (can't remember exactly). I remember how great it was when we added a Plus to the collection and I could play Maze Wars with my siblings. Ah, memories.

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

Goldfinger
Professional Poster
Apr 8, 2005, 02:00 AM

I learned the ways of the Mac on an SE/30 at home followed by an LC (which had colour !!!). Those are not the first Macs I touched though, I can't remember the first ones it must have been Mac II models or something like that at my parents' company one of these machines even had that cool portrait display.

iMac 20" C2D 2.16 | Acer Aspire One | Flickr

sideus
Mac Elite
Apr 8, 2005, 02:05 AM

SE/30.

Obi Wan's Ghost
Baninated
Apr 8, 2005, 02:07 AM

Power PC 7100.

subego
Clinically Insane
Apr 8, 2005, 02:19 AM

Since we had the original Macs in high school, the fact that almost no one is saying the original Mac makes me feel gosh darn old.

Kenneth
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 8, 2005, 02:24 AM

Mac Classic when I was in high school in 1996. I quickly knew how to use the Mac OS. Later, my dad bought me the Performa 6116CD (same as PowerMac 6100/60).

Ω
Mac Elite
Apr 8, 2005, 02:32 AM

I have always thought the casing with the creators signatures was a good touch. Showed users that the developers had a sense of pride in their work, and that they were happy to put their names to it.

E's Lil Theorem
Mac Elite
Apr 8, 2005, 02:44 AM

Don't really remember, but I *think* it was a Macintosh LC back when I was in Elementary school.

Ozmodiar
Mac Elite
Apr 8, 2005, 03:13 AM

We had an Apple IIe growing up.

phantomdragonz
Mac Elite
Apr 8, 2005, 03:36 AM

I had a apple II when I was a kid, I had to call my dad when i had to hook it back up. he was a mac programmer way back when...

just to make all of you old farts feel old, I was born in 1986... so I was like 5 at the time I owned that thing.

Zach

effgee
Caffeinated Theme Master
Apr 8, 2005, 03:38 AM

Macintosh Plus (1986??) 8MHz of raw processing power.

My favorite vintage Mac is still the hopelessly underpowered but unbelievably cute Color Classic - never owned one when they were first released but have one sitting in the closet now - in mint condition.

Randman
Posting Junkie
Apr 8, 2005, 03:50 AM

Originally posted by subego:
Since we had the original Macs in high school, the fact that almost no one is saying the original Mac makes me feel gosh darn old.
Uhh, I said Mac 128. Does tha count? Graduated in 1985, had some Mac experience on the first models working on my high school newspaper and yearbook.

Oisín
Moderator Emeritus
Apr 8, 2005, 04:07 AM

I seem to recall vaguely using some old Mac at my dad's hobby job once... that would have been around 1992-1993, I think. I have no idea which one it was, though, and I found it immensely annoying, 'cause I couldn't figure out how to work the system (I was 9-10), and I only had maybe an hour or so to use it anyway...

Apart from that, it would have to be my friend's iBook G3 600 (800?) some time last year in Beijing, and then the two ol' iMac G3 400's at school now. Oh yeah, and about five minutes on my old history teacher's PowerBook (Titanium, I think) a couple of years ago in my first year at university.

Link
Professional Poster
Apr 8, 2005, 04:09 AM

Conversation like this makes me feel young. The Mac SE *came out the year I was born* lol..

The first mac I used was a gee.. Mac LC I think.. it was an awfully long time ago, from there I fixed an LC, fixed up a few 5200s, and setup an SE back in middleschool, such experiences before I got my dual g4.. but never used one regularly!
Aloha

effgee
Caffeinated Theme Master
Apr 8, 2005, 04:10 AM

Originally posted by Ois�n:
... and about five minutes on my old history teacher's PowerBook (Titanium, I think) ...
When are you finally going to visit your grandma, uhm ... err ... sponsor, I mean? Get crackin' already!

Subego/Randman - how 'about this? You're both old farts.

roberto blanco
Senior User
Apr 8, 2005, 04:11 AM

we'll the first time i saw a mac was roughly around '83, when i was heavily into "commodre" computers, and one of my neighbours got to to show off an apple (II?) one of his dad's business partners brought over from the states. back then i thought it was kind of lame...the c-64 had so much more games etc.

ten years later i needed a computer for college and i decided to buy a computer for typing my papers. i went with a powerbook 520, because my school's computer lab was all apple...from then on i was hooked.

life results from the non-random survival of randomly varying replicators - r. dawkins

Oisín
Moderator Emeritus
Apr 8, 2005, 04:14 AM

Originally posted by effgee:
When are you finally going to visit your grandma, uhm ... err ... sponsor, I mean? Get crackin' already!

Haha! Hopefully tomorrow! Hopefully tomorrow!!!!!

Randman
Posting Junkie
Apr 8, 2005, 04:19 AM

Subego/Randman - how 'about this? You're both old farts.
Maybe be older than some of your whippersnappers but I'm willing to bet I've seen and done more than many of the posters here can even imagine. A few pups around here would have their heads explode if I just told a few "war" stories.

effgee
Caffeinated Theme Master
Apr 8, 2005, 04:25 AM

Originally posted by Randman:
... would have their heads explode if I just told a few "war" stories.

No doubt about that - btw, I'm just as old ('67). And no, I'm not going to tell any stories, either - this is a family-friendly forum, after all.

And if Roberto Blanco went to college when the PB 520 was released, he is just as much of a "grumpy old man" as we are (give or take a year or two)

( Last edited by effgee; Apr 8, 2005 at 05:28 AM. )

nredman
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 8, 2005, 05:28 AM

Macintosh Color Classic

"I'm for anything that gets you through the night, be it prayer, tranquilizers, or a bottle of Jack Daniel's."

OreoCookie
Apr 8, 2005, 05:57 AM

PowerBook G3 Kanga in 1997 or 1998. It was helluva machine back then, 96 Megs of RAM, 5 gig hd.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

badidea
Professional Poster
Apr 8, 2005, 07:08 AM

LCII back in '92 (my first one)

analogika
Posting Junkie
Apr 8, 2005, 07:39 AM

512KE or Plus (can't remember, but it was true beige, not Platinum) in around '87 or so at my high school.

Got my own Mac SE (1MB RAM, 20MB hard drive, single 800K floppy drive) in 1989, running System 4.2.

dav
Mac Elite
Apr 8, 2005, 07:48 AM

parents bought us an apple ][+ way back when. at college, initially we had a set up of ci's and some se/30's. first mac i bought new was a cube, recently i bought a powermac dual 2ghz.

moonmonkey
Professional Poster
Apr 8, 2005, 07:57 AM

The original Mac, in 84 (I think) before the UK release my dad took me to a computer show at Olympia to show it to me, he new the guy from Apple and they let me use Mac Paint, I wrote my name on the screen with the mouse with everyone watching.

I was amazed and asked the guy how it worked and he unscrewed the bottom of the mouse and handed the ball to me, I was 9 and I remember it like it was yesterday.

The first mac I owned was a Mac II (Color) in 1987

Weyland-Yutani
Mac Elite
Apr 8, 2005, 08:12 AM

Macintosh Plus in 1986 IIRC.

“Building Better Worlds”

starman
Clinically Insane
Apr 8, 2005, 08:13 AM

Mac Plus in high school (1984/1985). I made a little picture of my high school with it. I still have the printout.

Mike

Home - Twitter - Sig Wall-Retired - Flickr

roberto blanco
Senior User
Apr 8, 2005, 09:18 AM

And if Roberto Blanco went to college when the PB 520 was released, he is just as much of a "grumpy old man" as we are (give or take a year or two)
hey, i'm not that grumpy!

*ein bisschen spass muss sein...*

life results from the non-random survival of randomly varying replicators - r. dawkins

budster101
Baninated
Location: Illinois might be cold and flat, but at least it's ugly.
Apr 8, 2005, 09:59 AM

Early G4 Tower at work. It was ok.

SVass
Mac Elite
Apr 8, 2005, 10:20 AM

As an old "", I still have an Apple II with my eproms, and an Apple IIGS (with the WOZ signature), and I gave my first Mac a Centris 660AV to the school district long ago. It was the first usable Mac as the earlier ones were slower and less capable than the GS. My daughter used the first Mac when she was 6 at a Call Apple meeting while it was being displayed by Mike Markkula (the financier backing Apple). He appreciated her demonstration of its ease of use. sam

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Location: Dangling something in the water… of the Arabian Sea
Apr 8, 2005, 10:24 AM

What was the first Mac you ever used?
The Apple Macintosh, in 1985 I think.

Shortly afterwards, I jumped ship from my Apple II to x86.

I had a apple II when I was a kid, I had to call my dad when i had to hook it back up. he was a mac programmer way back when...

just to make all of you old farts feel old, I was born in 1986... so I was like 5 at the time I owned that thing.
Heh. I tried a Mac before you were even born.

We had an Apple IIe growing up.
That's not a Mac.

cla214
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 8, 2005, 10:43 AM

Though we did have an Apple IIe, the first Mac I used/had was the Apple Macintosh which we got shortly after it was announced. I still have it, along with the disks, the manuals, the printer, and several issues of Macworld from that year (1984).

demograph68
Professional Poster
Apr 8, 2005, 10:49 AM

iMac (Rev. C)

(On it now)

euphras
Mac Elite
Apr 8, 2005, 11:05 AM

Powermac 6100 @ 60MHz bundled with a 15" Apple Multiple Scan and a Stylewriter II (still have it, still running)

We even had a local seller in the town (not so common in Ger. those days). Every now and then when i came back from lectures and seminars in the evening i stopped at the shop and gazed at the shiny new machines on display.

ahhhh..................those were the days......good times!

Macintosh Quadra 950, Centris 610, Powermac 6100, iBook dual USB, Powerbook 667 DVI, Powerbook 867 DVI, MacBook Pro early 2011

Millennium
Clinically Insane
Apr 8, 2005, 11:13 AM

Macintosh 128. I was just a chibi at the time, and proceeded to delete all of my uncle's saved chess games while trying to figure out how to open my own.
You are in Soviet Russia. It is dark. Grue is likely to be eaten by YOU!

Paco500
Professional Poster
Apr 8, 2005, 11:19 AM

Don't really remember, but it was either a 128 or 512- pre Plus days. Spent hours playing Dark Castle.

First owned was a used 512 I bought with high-school grad money. So I'm another old guy I guess.

AppleOptionFour
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 8, 2005, 11:50 AM

Mom brought me home one of these from work. I didnt really know what I had at the time.

E's Lil Theorem
Mac Elite
Apr 8, 2005, 12:18 PM

Originally posted by demograph68:
http://www.exsitement.nl/mgh/nieuws/images/expo/imac_ruby.jpg

iMac (Rev. C)

(On it now)
That's the first Mac I ever owned; the lime one.

Kenneth
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 8, 2005, 12:57 PM

Originally posted by euphras:
Powermac 6100 @ 60MHz bundled with a 15" Apple Multiple Scan and a Stylewriter II (still have it, still running)
Cool! I had the bundled package as well, but 14" MultipleScan and StyleWriter 1200. Later, I dropped in an Apple A/V card in it. I just booted it back up 2 days ago after I finally got EarthLink/Comcast cable. It ran Mac OS 9.1 and Netscape Communicator 4.8.

wdlove
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 8, 2005, 01:34 PM

Since you are just asking about a Mac, it was an LC III.

"Never give in, never give in, never, never, never, never - in nothing, great or small, large or petty - never give in except to convictions of honor and good sense." Winston Churchill

finboy
Apr 8, 2005, 01:34 PM

My roommate had been the Apple campus rep, and gave me a (nonworking) Powerbook 100 and all of the software he'd accumulated over the years. It was either that or switch to Windows 95 -- I think I made the right choice.

brapper
Professional Poster
Apr 8, 2005, 01:37 PM

Macintosh LC.
great fun.

Skip Breakfast
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 8, 2005, 02:27 PM

The first I owned was an LC II. The first one I used was the original. In the late 80's I used at Atari 1040ST "Jackintosh".
PowerMac G4 Gigabit 1.2GHz, 896MB, 2x 80GB WD SE, Pioneer 107, Radeon 9000 Pro 128MB

Macintosh TV

Forum Links
Forum Rules