Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Heelys - am I being overprotective?

Heelys - am I being overprotective?
starman
Clinically Insane
Nov 20, 2006, 02:02 PM

Ok, so my daughter wants Heelys for Christmas. I've seen these goddamn things all over the place. These friggin' kids skate irresponsibly in the malls, gliding into people, and their posture makes me think that falling down backwards doesn't take much effort. So, am I being way too overprotective about these things? I'd rather not get a call from the emergency room.

So I think of it like this - if they can't use them in malls, if they can't use them in schools, then what's the point in getting them at all?

Home - Twitter - Sig Wall-Retired - Flickr

Eug
Clinically Insane
Nov 20, 2006, 02:14 PM

There is no point. I think they're irritating too. Mind you, if I were a kid, I'd love 'em too.

::maroma::
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 20, 2006, 02:41 PM

Whats a Heely?

mac128k-1984
Mac Elite
Nov 20, 2006, 02:50 PM

Originally Posted by ::maroma:: View Post
Whats a Heely?
Sneakers with wheels in the heel.
Michael

starman  (op)
Clinically Insane
Nov 20, 2006, 02:50 PM

Those sneakers with the wheels in the back.

Home - Twitter - Sig Wall-Retired - Flickr

zerostar
Mac Elite
Nov 20, 2006, 02:53 PM

I think you have more danger with a skateboard or in-line skates, with heelys you can just step forward and stop yourself to gain control. Also, there haven't been ANY heelys related deaths as far as I know, but lots of minor injuries.

Addicted to MacNN
Nov 20, 2006, 02:54 PM

Oh sweet, those things rule. I wish they had those when I was a kid. Sure sometimes kids get annoying flying around public places, but mostly they are fine.

andi*pandi
Nov 20, 2006, 03:04 PM

nonhuman
Posting Junkie
Nov 20, 2006, 03:12 PM

As with anything else, it's not the tool that's to blame but the people who misuse it. If you think your daughter will be well behaved and listed to you when you tell her what is and isn't acceptable use, then go for it.

volcano
Senior User
Nov 20, 2006, 04:19 PM

Those are still around? When I used to work in retail (a shoe department, no doubt) those shoes were quite popular. I didn't know they still were. I was always annoyed by them though, and I loved stopping every kid that attempted to skate around the store with a pair on, wheels and all. Punks.

Dark Helmet
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 20, 2006, 06:07 PM

Originally Posted by andi*pandi View Post
Did you read the story?

"She's gone from suck to blow!"

andi*pandi
Nov 20, 2006, 07:40 PM

yes, and despite the manufacturer not being blamed, I would worry about my kid in these things. I wouldn't let my kid rollerblade on the street either.

Dark Helmet
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 20, 2006, 07:48 PM

Originally Posted by andi*pandi View Post
yes, and despite the manufacturer not being blamed, I would worry about my kid in these things. I wouldn't let my kid rollerblade on the street either.
They don't seem more dangerous that anything a kid uses that has wheels.

"She's gone from suck to blow!"

Mithras
Professional Poster
Nov 20, 2006, 08:00 PM

I'm 29, and I got some over the summer. Really fun. Did get a few scratches & bruises, though -- they shouldn't be used in parks or places with sticks & debris on the ground.

MaxPower2k3
Mac Elite
Nov 20, 2006, 08:20 PM

A guy where I work got some. I was surprised, because I didn't even know they made them in adult sizes, but then he started sliding around. I guess it could be fun, but it's more of a novelty since you can't really transport yourself on the wheels, you just slide for 6 feet or so and then go back to walking. It's gotta get old after a while.

"I start fires!"

BlueSky
Mac Elite
Nov 20, 2006, 08:40 PM

Heelys get the #1 honor on the...

2006 "10 Worst Toys" List

Addicted to MacNN
Nov 20, 2006, 08:53 PM

Originally Posted by BlueSky View Post
Heelys get the #1 honor on the...

2006 "10 Worst Toys" List
W.A.T.C.H. ("World Against Toys Causing Harm")

L.A.M.E.

neverskatewsandles
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 20, 2006, 10:59 PM

Yeah ur being over protective unless ur kid is under 8. I started skating when i was 7 and never got heart too bad. Sept the time i had to adopt this screen name
2ghz macbook /120gb hd ,1gb ram, superdrive/iwork

dreamryche
Forum Regular
Nov 21, 2006, 01:15 AM

I work in security at an art museum. I get great pleasure out of busting kids with those damned things.

Weezer
Mac Elite
Nov 21, 2006, 01:17 AM

I think those things are borderline dangerous, and if not dangerous, really annoying.

Imac Core Duo 1.83/1.5 GB/20 inch cinema, ibook G4 1 ghz

Weezer
Mac Elite
Nov 21, 2006, 01:19 AM

this is also on the top 10 danger list:

Imac Core Duo 1.83/1.5 GB/20 inch cinema, ibook G4 1 ghz

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Nov 21, 2006, 02:54 AM

WILL SOMEONE THINK OF THE CHILDREN??!?!?

That list was absolutely ridiculous.

[ fb ] [ flickr ] [] [scl] [ last ] [ plaxo ]

TheWOAT
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 21, 2006, 03:12 AM

I remember as a kid, playing with this minuature viking toy.. all it did was spray red ink in every direction. That red ink was impossible to get out of the carpet.. Man that was fun.. I think the toy was called "Big Red".

Ham Sandwich
Nov 21, 2006, 07:04 AM

Originally Posted by TheWOAT View Post
I remember as a kid, playing with this minuature viking toy.. all it did was spray red ink in every direction. That red ink was impossible to get out of the carpet.. Man that was fun.. I think the toy was called "Big Red".
You lived on SNL??

alligator
Mac Elite
Nov 21, 2006, 09:38 AM

I'd like to try them. On the other hand, I was shocked to see a kid with them in church a few months ago.

Eriamjh
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 21, 2006, 01:18 PM

Originally Posted by TheWOAT View Post
Wasn't that a SNL skit?

Regarding product safety, SO many toys would be banned by this group if you look at what COULD happen. Any toy with a string or rope over 12" is a strangle hazzard. Bye-bye jump rope. Any toy with small parts is a hazard. Bye-bye legos. Any toy that is electrically powered is a shock or fire hazzard. Bye-bye Easy Bake Oven. Any toy that flies is a flying hazard. Bye-bye anything that flies!

It seems that it's partially the toy and partially who it is marketed to. Truth is some toys ARE dangerous and others are just mis-marketed. But it seems that their view is it is the toy maker's fault and not the parents if the wrong kid gets into it.

That superman one scares me, though. "Unplug when not in use". Yikes!

I'm a bird. I am the 1% (of pets).

Dakar²
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 21, 2006, 01:19 PM

Yes, and apparently a well remembered one.

Albert Pujols
Mac Elite
Nov 21, 2006, 09:52 PM

I hate those things. Freakin' kids these days, too lazy to walk so they gotta roll their fat asses around. Pffff..

m_young
Forum Regular
Nov 21, 2006, 11:29 PM

You can't blame the company for the kid/parent's ignorance, and hopefully the family hasn't gone on to sue (since it happened in march).

To the original poster- you can't protect your kid from everything, you can only provide them with something to fall back on when they do get into something they shouldn't. I stayed out of trouble for the majority of my childhood due to the way that I was raised, and if you're worried about your kid being a nuisance to others because of these shoes, maybe give them some credit and a shot to prove you that they have been taught better.
And if you're worried about them getting hurt, we all have taken our licks. I can't tell you how many times I've fell off my bike/rollerblades/skateboard and bled profusely. It's like a right of passage. And at least it's something remotely active, better than sitting in front of the TV or computer.

keekeeree
Mac Elite
Location: Moved from Ohio's first capital to its current capital
Nov 22, 2006, 01:38 AM

I'd buy 'em. Safety? Well, kids are gonna get bumped, bruised, scratched, cut and scuffed. They're kids...it's their job When I think back to the crazy stuff I did on my bike as a kid, I'm lucky I got through childhood without any broken bones

Ham Sandwich
Nov 22, 2006, 10:20 AM

It's laughable the amount of protection kids are forced into nowadays. Back in my youth, we didn't have safety pads, helmets, etc. Sure, there was a couple of nut busters on my bike and some scrapes and bruises on half-pipes but nothing that "normal" kids shouldn't have to go through, I think. It seems that you're not being a good parent now unless you bundle your kids up in foam.

Flash forward 25 years and I rip myself up so much more than I did as a kid.

philm
Mac Elite
Nov 22, 2006, 10:37 AM

My daughter (9) has the ones with two wheels in the heel. She adores them. We have wooden floors so she can get some use around the house too. I think you are less likely to fall over in the two-wheel version which we figured was a good idea for a nine year old.

morereclusiveeveryday
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 26, 2006, 01:07 PM

This has been a helpful discussion. Don't want to be overprotective, but the posture for when these things (wheels at the heel only) are in use seems a little too prone to falling backwards. I think maybe I'll "skate" the whole issue by giving my kid(s) inline skates instead of these wheeled shoes. It'll be much easier to enforce the helmet rule with inline skates.

Mithras
Professional Poster
Nov 26, 2006, 04:13 PM

Actually, the times I've fallen on Heelys it's been forward -- i.e. some twig or pebble suddenly stops me cold and I go tumbling forward. Slipping backward is less probable than you might think.

I agree that inline skates are a good compromise, though.

morereclusiveeveryday
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 26, 2006, 08:17 PM

That's another good point-- maybe the best way to tell how safe/unsafe something is to try it yourself!

This discussion reminded me of something I saw on TV a few yrs ago (maybe Oprah) with this childproofing expert. Her method was to go around on her hands and knees (at kid-level) to eyeball all the possible dangers both inside and outside a house. Wa-a-a-a-a-ay OTT, I thought. At that point you are pretty much wrapping everything in your house in bubblewrap. Freakonomics had a good discussion about putting dangers in perspective.
( Last edited by morereclusiveeveryday; Nov 26, 2006 at 08:19 PM. Reason: grammar, spelling)

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Nov 26, 2006, 09:03 PM

Why are people so afraid of their kids getting hurt these days? That's how they LEARN stupids!

morereclusiveeveryday
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 27, 2006, 09:56 AM

I wonder if someone who doesn't have kids can understand the strong paternal and maternal instincts to protect. Kids do need to learn by making mistakes and to be blunt, getting hurt works remarkably well as a teaching tool, but it can be hard for a parent to watch that happen.

as2
Mac Elite
Nov 27, 2006, 10:20 AM

I had the pleasure of promoting Heelys on campus while I was at uni.. they are a pile of (expletive deleted).

And you are very likely to fall over backwards, or sprain something because of the way they work. I went ass over tit in the Bluewater shopping centre. Not fun!
[img=http://img192.imageshack.us/img192/1300/desktj.jpg]

macroy
Mac Elite
Nov 27, 2006, 10:40 AM

Originally Posted by - - e r i k - - View Post
Why are people so afraid of their kids getting hurt these days? That's how they LEARN stupids!
Nice - so all parents are stupid because they don't want to see their kids hurt?

You have kids? If not, you may want to wait until you do to pass judgement.

Its not stupidity (not that it doesn't exist) - its simply trying to be a responsible parent.

- back on topic -

I'd say it really depends on your kid. If she is athletic and quick on her feet... and she's responsible, sure. To me, they're no different from skates. They just don't have to change into them.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Nov 27, 2006, 11:47 AM

They are so fugly, so yes, from an aesthetic point of view, she should not get em.

-t

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Nov 28, 2006, 06:38 AM

Originally Posted by macroy View Post
Nice - so all parents are stupid because they don't want to see their kids hurt?

You have kids? If not, you may want to wait until you do to pass judgement.

Its not stupidity (not that it doesn't exist) - its simply trying to be a responsible parent.
Yes, I have been in care of kids, thanks for asking.

There's a difference by being responsible and being overprotective, that's all.

morereclusiveeveryday
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 28, 2006, 10:05 AM

Originally Posted by - - e r i k - - View Post
Yes, I have been in care of kids, thanks for asking.

There's a difference by being responsible and being overprotective, that's all.
And there's a difference between babysitting and parenting.

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Nov 28, 2006, 10:25 AM

Originally Posted by morereclusiveeveryday View Post
And there's a difference between babysitting and parenting.
I know. I have been parenting, not babysitting. That was my point.

hart
Senior User
Nov 28, 2006, 11:26 AM

I also find those things so annoying, like you can't REALLY skate so you have those stupid things. All my kids have inline skates but I'd never consider heelies. In any case, you can't really skate in them anyway. They're no good on sidewalks cause they don't have enough clearance, you can't wear them to school...why bother.

besides, in about 5 minutes they will be so OVER.

Altho, I know that heelies is what the kids want, not inline skates. But how many kids do you see in helmets with their heelies? That destroys the whole cool thing anyway. We've learned the hard way what happens when you flip over backwards in skates, fortunately the crushing happened to a helmet, not a head. It would be a shame to get a concussion for a fad. Sure, I didn't wear helmets either when I was a kid, but I sure do now. Brain damage is not my cup of tea.

I'd say if you're really worried about injury, just say no to heelies unless you're going to be the mean parent and insist on helmets.

Dakar²
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 28, 2006, 11:36 AM

I'm really impressed how long this thread has continued since starman has long since departed it.

lpkmckenna
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 28, 2006, 11:52 AM

Originally Posted by Mithras View Post
I'm 29, and I got some over the summer. Really fun. Did get a few scratches & bruises, though -- they shouldn't be used in parks or places with sticks & debris on the ground.
You own a pair of what? And you're how old?

finboy
Nov 28, 2006, 01:14 PM

Originally Posted by ::maroma:: View Post
W.A.T.C.H. ("World Against Toys Causing Harm")

L.A.M.E.
My favorite "Weaponry should not be sold as toys for children." What rock have THEY been under?

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Nov 28, 2006, 01:20 PM

Seems to me like they teach kids to walk on their toes, rather than heel first.

Nebagakid
Mac Elite
Nov 28, 2006, 01:34 PM

no human being should own shoes like these. They are completely moronic. Kids focus more on gliding than they do on walking, and they look like toolbag-JTT wannabes.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Nov 28, 2006, 02:55 PM

Uhm, well, there ARE alternatives...

-t

Forum Links
Forum Rules