Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Am I the last living person who stills watches movies properly?

Am I the last living person who stills watches movies properly?
macgeek2005
Mac Elite
Nov 25, 2006, 05:45 PM

When I watch a movie, I watch it for enjoyment. I get into the story, and see the characters on the screen as the characters that are being played, not the actors that are acting them. I evaluate how much I like the movie based on plot, acting quality, music, and cinemetography mostly, paying no attention to the history of the main actors, or what other movies they've been in, or how the story that the movie is telling is like or unlike a story in real life. I simply look at movies as movies. They're either good quality or not.

I've noticed that more and more people are moving away from this original way of viewing movies, and focusing on who the actors are, and who made the movie, and the story behind the making of the film, and when they watch the movie, they see Hayden Christensen and Ewan McGregor on the screen, as opposed to Anakin Skywalker and Obi-Wan Kenobi.

My dad is like that. The other night I was watching a movie with him, and he points to one of the female actresses and asks "who is she?", and I answered "that's the mom of that girl you just saw in the last scene".

It didn't occur to me that he was asking who the actresses name was because I was seeing the people as the characters that they were in the movie.

I recently saw the trailer to the Nativity Story, and once again, this applies there. Everyone is saying that it's another one of those jesus movies to try and convert people to chirstianity, and blah this, and blah that, etc etc.

I don't give a damn! All I know is I saw the trailer, and it looks like it'll be a high quality film. I don't care that some people don't think the story is true, while others think it is. I don't care if it was made because the government wants people to convert. I don't care, I don't care, I don't care!!!

I simply look for the quality in a film.

Am I the last living person like this?

torsoboy
Mac Elite
Nov 25, 2006, 05:56 PM

I think so.

Blasphemy
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 25, 2006, 05:57 PM

I'm with you. I watch for entertainment, and generally don't let small imperfections in the storyline bother me.

m_young
Forum Regular
Nov 25, 2006, 05:59 PM

You're implying that people didn't care about actors and actresses back in the day, which is less than true. It's just easier to access more information on the movie stars these days, and be genuinely interested in them as a person because of their acting ability (or good looks).

Kerrigan
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 25, 2006, 06:06 PM

I think you are the last living person who still watches movies properly.

Railroader
Banned
Nov 25, 2006, 06:18 PM

My wife's family is obsessed with who was in what and will discuss the history of an actor and what school they studied at and what their next project is all while watching a movie.

I don't watch movies with them any more. Well, I will sometimes watch a movie I have already seen with them. But a new movie I have never seen, no way.

I sometimes will take the context of whether or not an actor is any good when selecting a movie to watch. But I won't obsess about anything else. Who cares if they were in what or who they're dating.

And while watching a movie I like to immerse myself into the experience and only consider the here and now. If I don't have time to finish a movie I won't start watching it.

It basically all boils down to enjoying the experience and not investing time into remembering or learning about the background of the film.

andreas_g4
Professional Poster
Nov 25, 2006, 06:18 PM

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Nov 25, 2006, 06:23 PM

That is how I watch movies. You're not alone in the world.

macgeek2005  (op)
Mac Elite
Nov 25, 2006, 06:25 PM

Originally Posted by Railroader View Post
My wife's family is obsessed with who was in what and will discuss the history of an actor and what school they studied at and what their next project is all while watching a movie.

I don't watch movies with them any more. Well, I will sometimes watch a movie I have already seen with them. But a new movie I have never seen, no way.

I sometimes will take the context of whether or not an actor is any good when selecting a movie to watch. But I won't obsess about anything else. Who cares if they were in what or who they're dating.

And while watching a movie I like to immerse myself into the experience and only consider the here and now. If I don't have time to finish a movie I won't start watching it.

It basically all boils down to enjoying the experience and not investing time into remembering or learning about the background of the film.
I'm glad to hear that. I'm not completely alone. When I watch a movie first time through with my dad, I threaten him to not say stupid things about the actors and stuff during the movie, cause it completely takes you out of the experience and makes you remember that they're just actors following the directions of the director.

Basically, when I watch a movie, i'm watching it as if what i'm seeing is real. That's sort of what it's supposed to be like. The point of making a movie out of Lord of the Rings was so that we could see it taking place as if it were real. A movie is nothing more than a portal if you will, to another reality, one that we can bring to life with all our amazing technology.

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 25, 2006, 06:28 PM

Originally Posted by Blasphemy View Post
I'm with you. I watch for entertainment, and generally don't let small imperfections in the storyline bother me.
Somehow I don't think this is what he meant.

greg
Mankind's only chance is to harness the power of stupid.

macgeek2005  (op)
Mac Elite
Nov 25, 2006, 06:38 PM

Originally Posted by ShortcutToMoncton View Post
Somehow I don't think this is what he meant.

greg
Yeah, that isn't really what I meant at all. I was talking about being immersed in the movie and seeing the characters as who they are in the story, as opposed to seeing them as actors acting the roles.

spindler
Forum Regular
Nov 25, 2006, 06:44 PM

People of course have always followed certain actors. I just saw Hooper and remembered how cool Burt Reynolds was. But if you are thinking about who Tom Cruise is dating during the movie you are probably missing something. But people have always said "I recognize that face. What other movie did I see them in?"

Most of today's movies are so lame I don't see how you could care what acting school they went to. The characters of 80% of movies are so cardboard that it doesn't matter. Luckily there's still a few great movies every year.

macgeek2005  (op)
Mac Elite
Nov 25, 2006, 06:45 PM

Originally Posted by spindler View Post
People of course have always followed certain actors. I just saw Hooper and remembered how cool Burt Reynolds was. But if you are thinking about who Tom Cruise is dating during the movie you are probably missing something. But people have always said "I recognize that face. What other movie did I see them in?"

Most of today's movies are so lame I don't see how you could care what acting school they went to. The characters of 80% of movies are so cardboard that it doesn't matter. Luckily there's still a few great movies every year.
Tell me about it... I was watching Click last night... I fell asleep.

ghporter
Administrator
Nov 25, 2006, 06:46 PM

I too watch movies for the story and the acting, not the actors, the director, etc. Sure, I like certain actors and directors, but because of their acting ability and directorial track records. I go to see a Spielberg movie because I know that he manages to get emotion onto the screen, not just because of his name.

The kind of "movie watching" the OP talks about is more what "critics" (not people who critique films, those that criticize them) do than what a movie fan does.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

macgeek2005  (op)
Mac Elite
Nov 25, 2006, 07:24 PM

Originally Posted by ghporter View Post
I too watch movies for the story and the acting, not the actors, the director, etc. Sure, I like certain actors and directors, but because of their acting ability and directorial track records. I go to see a Spielberg movie because I know that he manages to get emotion onto the screen, not just because of his name.

The kind of "movie watching" the OP talks about is more what "critics" (not people who critique films, those that criticize them) do than what a movie fan does.
Yes, definetaly. That's pretty much what it is. It's sort of like the difference between the guy who bakes the cake, and the guy who eats it. The guy who eats it just enjoys it, the guy who bakes it knows WAY too much about it for his own good.

Nai no Kami
Senior User
Nov 25, 2006, 07:25 PM

I didn't know that someone could be focused more in the actor than in the character while watching a movie.

Y no entienden nada... Ā”y cĆ³mo se divierten!...

macgeek2005  (op)
Mac Elite
Nov 25, 2006, 07:26 PM

Originally Posted by Nai no Kami View Post
I didn't know that someone could be focused more in the actor than in the character while watching a movie.
Oh believe me, they can. That's what's so annoying about it.

BlueSky
Mac Elite
Nov 25, 2006, 07:41 PM

I watch actors playing parts and I enjoy it. So there.

starman
Clinically Insane
Nov 25, 2006, 10:56 PM

I'm with you. People aren't into movies like they used to be.

Home - Twitter - Sig Wall-Retired - Flickr

KeriVit
Professional Poster
Nov 25, 2006, 11:16 PM

No, you're not.

hayesk
Nov 25, 2006, 11:40 PM

Originally Posted by starman View Post
I disagree with that. Lots of people are into movies but a lot more aren't. It's always been that way.

Spliffdaddy
Posting Junkie
Nov 26, 2006, 12:08 AM

I have no interest in actors, acresses, or Hollywood. I couldn't tell you who played what role in any movie. For the life of me I don't understand why so many people are fascinated with that sort of thing.

Movies, to me, must be realistic. The story, the characters, the dialogue.

Lately I've been watching a lot independent films because they seem less predictable and more focused on real life.

mindwaves
Nov 26, 2006, 12:21 AM

I'm pretty much the same way. I watch it for enjoyment. In fact, I hardly know any of the actor names of any movies. Only the real famous actors do I know their name. I apply the same principle to books (which I usually do not buy anyways). It kind of sickens me to have the author's name plastered in the front covering more than 1/2 of the book's cover while the actual title of the book is much smaller than the author's name. To me, the title is far more important than the author's name. And of course, the plot is more important than the title.

Kevin
Baninated
Nov 26, 2006, 01:01 AM

Me and Bekah both are HUGE movie buffs. Especially horror movies.

I hear a Horror Channel is coming. Like Sci Fi but horror movies.

Of course I wont get it till 5 years later.. but hey.

marden
Baninated
Nov 26, 2006, 02:21 AM

Watching movies is and can be many things at the same time. One of them is a seduction.

How well the film maker succeeds in seducing me into believing the people and situations and allowing me to care about them the more willing I am to be seduced.

And anyone who has ever been part of a great seduction knows, they both want it to happen and if it's done well it is to be applauded and admired.

I want to be seduced.

America wants to be seduced.

And it is.

Railroader
Banned
Nov 26, 2006, 02:27 AM

Originally Posted by marden View Post
Watching movies is and can be many things at the same time. One of them is a seduction.

How well the film maker succeeds in seducing me into believing the people and situations and allowing me to care about them the more willing I am to be seduced.

And anyone who has ever been part of a great seduction knows, they both want it to happen and if it's done well it is to be applauded and admired.

I want to be seduced.

America wants to be seduced.

And it is.
You had me at hello.

marden
Baninated
Nov 26, 2006, 02:30 AM

Originally Posted by Railroader View Post
You had me at hello.
Cool. Now show me the money.

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Nov 26, 2006, 05:02 AM

Originally Posted by Spliffdaddy View Post
Lately I've been watching a lot independent films because they seem less predictable and more focused on real life.
Why do you hate America so?

[ fb ] [ flickr ] [ā™¬] [scl] [ last ] [ plaxo ]

marden
Baninated
Nov 26, 2006, 05:06 AM

Originally Posted by - - e r i k - - View Post
Why do you hate America so?
INDEPENDENT FILMS

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Nov 26, 2006, 05:19 AM

I will watch any movie with certain actors in it. I'll watch anything James Cameron directs. I will watch absolutely anything Joss Whedon is involved with in any way. You could say because of this that when I watch a movie, it's "about" these people, but that's really not the case. Just like there are certain people whose cooking I'll eat without even knowing what it is (and certain people whom I wouldn't trust to make grilled cheese sandwiches), I know that some people have the skill to deliver a movie I can enjoy. I enjoy the movie because it's entertaining and involves me, but I realize that it's able to do so because of the work that went into it.

There are also some actors who are so recognizable and have such strong associations in my mind that it's hard to get involved a movie. When I see Tom Cruise mugging his way through a role, I think, "Oh, that jackass." Similarly, when I see Meg Ryan playing a quirky single woman, I think, "Hey, it's Meg Ryan again." I can't really enjoy movies when that happens.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Nov 26, 2006, 07:27 AM

What was that sound? Oh yes, another joke that flew straight past marden's head.

[ fb ] [ flickr ] [ā™¬] [scl] [ last ] [ plaxo ]

Kevin
Baninated
Nov 26, 2006, 07:38 AM

I think he was attempting to match sarcasm with sarcasm.

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
Nov 26, 2006, 11:20 AM

People have ALWAYS cared about the actors and who made the film. It's nothing new.

IMHO, it's the same way with most artwork.

P.S. There are also those that hate ALL popular films... because they are popular.

SirCastor
Professional Poster
Nov 26, 2006, 11:34 AM

Originally Posted by macgeek2005 View Post
Yeah, that isn't really what I meant at all. I was talking about being immersed in the movie and seeing the characters as who they are in the story, as opposed to seeing them as actors acting the roles.
Good films draw you into their world automatically. Like good literature. It's called "Suspension of Disbelief". Movies that accomplish it typically turn out to be much better than those that don't.
2008 iMac 3.06 Ghz, 2GB Memory, GeForce 8800, 500GB HD, SuperDrive
8gb iPhone on Tmobile

alligator
Mac Elite
Nov 26, 2006, 11:59 AM

I still watch them properly. I can't remember one actor from one movie to the next. My wife can recite every movie the actor has ever been in. I wouldn't recognize most actors on the street if my life depended on it.

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Nov 26, 2006, 12:38 PM

Originally Posted by starman View Post
I think it's the fault of the films, rather than the people. I encounter so few films able to draw me in anymore.

Lava Lamp Freak
Nov 26, 2006, 01:08 PM

Originally Posted by Chuckit View Post
There are also some actors who are so recognizable and have such strong associations in my mind that it's hard to get involved a movie. When I see Tom Cruise mugging his way through a role, I think, "Oh, that jackass." Similarly, when I see Meg Ryan playing a quirky single woman, I think, "Hey, it's Meg Ryan again." I can't really enjoy movies when that happens.
I feel the same as you, but I think it also depends on how into the movie I am. For example, I watched MI:3 and never thought about how much of an idiot Tom Cruise is. Paul Walker is another story. It doesn't matter what movie he is in, he brings the quality of the movie and the acting ability of everyone else in it down with him.

Spliffdaddy
Posting Junkie
Nov 26, 2006, 01:28 PM

There is nothing worse than:

A Woody Allen movie.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Nov 26, 2006, 01:49 PM

A Woody Allen movie.
You lead such a sheltered existence.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

macgeek2005  (op)
Mac Elite
Nov 26, 2006, 04:28 PM

A Woody Allen movie.
Is there a movie called "A Woody Allen movie"? or did you mean that the way I think you did?

Wow.

Mithras
Professional Poster
Nov 26, 2006, 04:45 PM

Seriously, did you see "Match Point"? It was a very good movie. Allen has continued to evolve as a filmmaker, you know.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Nov 27, 2006, 12:03 PM

Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
I think he was attempting to match sarcasm with sarcasm.
And failed...

-t

DakarĀ²
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 27, 2006, 12:20 PM

There's something oddly pretentious about this thread.

Railroader
Banned
Nov 27, 2006, 12:58 PM

Originally Posted by DakarĀ² View Post
There's something oddly pretentious about this thread.
I don't know what you mean. I am better than you.

Dark Helmet
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 27, 2006, 02:19 PM

I get frustrated when people just measure a movie on if they were "entertained" for 2 hours and that's all. They don't care about inconstancies, story, directing, dialog etc just if they didn't get bored.

I.E. triple X, Fast and the Furious yadda yadda.

Sure there are a small amount of movies that you can measure like that but overall I just get the impression they are too dumb to put more thought into it.

"She's gone from suck to blow!"

Gossamer
Professional Poster
Nov 27, 2006, 02:24 PM

It depends on what people want out of a movie. If you want to talk about how the entire premise of The Core was completely and totally scientifically false, then cool. But some people just want to lose themselves for a while.
I find myself in both groups. There are some movies I'm ashamed that I own (XXX, F&F to name two ) but I do enjoy sitting down with friends and heckling how terrible certain aspects of a movie are.

Dark Helmet
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 27, 2006, 02:28 PM

Originally Posted by Gossamer View Post
but I do enjoy sitting down with friends and heckling how terrible certain aspects of a movie are.
Oh I do too. There are movies that are so bad they are good like Showgirls and there are others that are just stupid situations with cool action like Starship troopers.

Problem is I see people watching XXX and FF not because it is so bad it is good but because they actually find them good.

"She's gone from suck to blow!"

marden
Baninated
Nov 27, 2006, 02:36 PM

Originally Posted by what_the_heck View Post
And failed...

-t
What do you call the altar at which you worship me?

If you call it the "Mardenshrine" give yourself a point.

Abershrine = 0 Points.

Mojoshrine = -5 Points.

But in any event you may (according to Mardenlaw) call yourself a Shriner.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Nov 27, 2006, 02:38 PM

What do you call the altar at which you worship me?
Toiletbowl.

-t

Gossamer
Professional Poster
Nov 27, 2006, 02:38 PM

Originally Posted by Dark Helmet View Post

Problem is I see people watching XXX and FF not because it is so bad it is good but because they actually find them good.
Gotcha. It was fun pointing out that Paul Walker shifts something like 7 times in the opening sequence to the original, and that apparently you move the shifter up to go into fourth. Also it takes less than 3 seconds to go from 140 to 0. And the 'ten second' quarter mile sequence takes several minutes.

Forum Links
Forum Rules