Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > How do I delete/uninstall files ony my ibook g4?

How do I delete/uninstall files ony my ibook g4?
swt_decadent
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 7, 2006, 11:05 PM

Im planning to sell it or just give it away to my friend but I want to know how to delete all my information and all the files I download on my ibook g4? I notice on windows when I delete the files and put it on the trash and permanently delete it, I can still find it on my computer. So is it the same as ibook? If I delete it is it permanently delete and won;t show up anywhere? Help, and thank you in advance!

brokecollegestudentF04
Banned
Dec 7, 2006, 11:10 PM

simple solution.. boot with your OS install CD.. go into the disk utility.. and perform a write zero's format then reinstall before you get rid of the machine.. that will stop any chance of your data being recovered

m_young
Forum Regular
Dec 7, 2006, 11:54 PM

This is exactly what I just did with my iBook, which I am selling. Best way to ensure your data stays where you want it. Takes no more than an hour, which is more than worth it.

swt_decadent  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 8, 2006, 08:06 PM

Thanks for replying Does that mean it delete all the aplication also? Coz I only want to permanently delete my information and all the files I downloaded not the application. Will the ibook still be usable tho? Thank you again.

monkeybrain
Mac Elite
Dec 8, 2006, 11:23 PM

No, if you zero the hard drive it will wipe everything, it's like nuking your hard drive. I think if you want to leave the apps then you should create a new (admin) user for your friend (you can get them to choose the username and password). Once that is done you can log in as that new user and then delete your old user. Before you do that you can just try putting all your docs into the trash and then doing a 'Secure Empty Trash'.

m_young
Forum Regular
Dec 8, 2006, 11:29 PM

If you put in the system discs, you can basically wipe the hard drive and reinstall the operating system, so it's like you're starting from scratch. This is easiest way to assure yourself that the person you pass the machine onto won't be able to recover your files. And you probably can re-download or install from disc most, if not all of those apps.

swt_decadent  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 9, 2006, 10:58 PM

Wow thank you for all the replies. Also sorry for the bother but when you said wipe down everything does it mean all the application that comes with ibook when I first got it? I don't mind if it delete the application I download but not the one that comes with Ibook. How do you secure empty trash?

C.A.T.S. CEO
Professional Poster
Dec 9, 2006, 11:12 PM

Originally Posted by swt_decadent View Post
Wow thank you for all the replies. Also sorry for the bother but when you said wipe down everything does it mean all the application that comes with ibook when I first got it? I don't mind if it delete the application I download but not the one that comes with Ibook. How do you secure empty trash?
When you 'zero out the disk' or 'wipe' you get rid of everything. After that you reinstall the system from the restore disks. all of the apps that came with the iBook come with the system reinstall. It will be jest like you got it brand new. To do a secure empty trah go to the menu Finder > Secure Empty Trah and then click OK.
Signature depreciated.

Forum Links
Forum Rules