Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Political/War Lounge > Anti-war Cindy Sheehan files to take on Pelosi

Anti-war Cindy Sheehan files to take on Pelosi
Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 27, 2008, 02:22 AM

Anti-war Cindy Sheehan files to take on Pelosi
Peace activist Cindy Sheehan wants to snatch House Speaker Nancy Pelosi's congressional seat from her in November, but first she's going to need the help - and signatures - of 10,198 friends and supporters.
She's made it official!
Cindy Sheehan For Congress
Run Cindy Run! Knowing the electorate in the SF area, she just may do it.

( Last edited by Chongo; Apr 27, 2008 at 10:32 AM. )
45/47

Atomic Rooster
Apr 27, 2008, 03:13 AM

Good for her.

She needs a better banner maker tho.

Or maybe she's gonna go bare bones grassroots.

Good luck Cindy.

Edit: "Anti-war Cindy Sheehan files to take on Pelosi"
You mean some people are pro-war? Man that's just nuts (psycho). I'm glad most people aren't. We'd be warring over oil and water and teddy-bears and popsicles and Cabbage patch dolls and a a lot of other stuffs.

Hey you changed the pic with the crappy banner??!! Now my post seems retarded.
( Last edited by Atomic Rooster; Apr 28, 2008 at 02:18 AM. Reason: Retarded)

chabig
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 27, 2008, 10:58 AM

Originally Posted by Atomic Rooster View Post
You mean some people are pro-war? Man that's just nuts (psycho).
You mean there's nothing you find worth fighting for? That's psycho!

BadKosh
Professional Poster
Apr 27, 2008, 01:12 PM

Interesting fun for summer. Watching two idiots make bigger fools of themselves! Cool!

vmarks
Moderator Emeritus
Apr 27, 2008, 09:46 PM

Sheehan won't have trouble raising the funds.

She'll just hit up her friends in the terrorist group, the Muslim Brotherhood, who sponsored her trip to Egypt to shill for them on Al-Jezeera.

Al Jazeera English - News - Interview: Cindy Sheehan

Seriously, you can't make this stuff up sometimes.

lefty mclefty
Baninated
Apr 27, 2008, 10:15 PM

well SOMEONE from the usa has to support the muslims...why should we only support israel? do we want peace there or not? we supply israel with weapons, who fight palestinians, armed with rocks and homemade bombs! that's not fair..or balanced....lets cut to the chase...IT'S ALL ABOUT OIL...they have it, we want it....the left cares about people, the right cares about money....and jesus...

Atomic Rooster
Apr 28, 2008, 02:13 AM

Originally Posted by chabig View Post
You mean there's nothing you find worth fighting for? That's psycho!
YEAH...FREAKIN' OIL!111!!111 LET'sS GOoooooooo...YEE HAaaaaa!!!1111!!1

As long as I don't have to fight and die for it. Let the young kids do that while us old farts enjoy the fruits of all the rotting corpses.

Atomic Rooster
Apr 28, 2008, 02:15 AM

Originally Posted by vmarks View Post
Sheehan won't have trouble raising the funds.

She'll just hit up her friends in the terrorist group, the Muslim Brotherhood, who sponsored her trip to Egypt to shill for them on Al-Jezeera.

Al Jazeera English - News - Interview: Cindy Sheehan

Seriously, you can't make this stuff up sometimes.
Yeah and Bush's grandfather was a Nazi. So what's your point?

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Apr 28, 2008, 02:34 AM

Originally Posted by Atomic Rooster View Post
Yeah and Bush's grandfather was a Nazi. So what's your point?
So was my wife's great-grandfather, what's your point?

There's quite a difference between what you do and what your ancestors did.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

tie
Professional Poster
Apr 28, 2008, 03:16 PM

Cool. Pelosi isn't doing enough to stop this war, and has done nothing to impeach Bush. Bush should be an honorary Al Qaeda leader for how much damage he has done to the US.
The 4 o'clock train will be a bus.
It will depart at 20 minutes to 5.

peeb
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 28, 2008, 03:21 PM

Bush has done far more damage to the US than Al Quaeda, and Pelosi has failed to stop him. Let's let someone else have a shot.

BadKosh
Professional Poster
Apr 28, 2008, 05:00 PM

It's time to use FOOD as a weapon. Lets STOP exporting food until the prices rise and dork all the Oil producing nations and their allies. it's time our farmers become rich.

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Apr 28, 2008, 05:12 PM

Originally Posted by BadKosh View Post
It's time to use FOOD as a weapon. Lets STOP exporting food until the prices rise and dork all the Oil producing nations and their allies. it's time our farmers become rich.
You know, I thought about this the other day, it's actually a good idea. We need to hold on to the food resources we have until things normalize, just to be cautious...
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

tie
Professional Poster
Apr 28, 2008, 05:14 PM

Our farmers already are rich. Food prices are extremely high, land prices are extremely high, government subsidies are extremely high.

If you support Al Qaeda, you should really be arguing that the US should attack Iran (like Cheney wants). Using food as a weapon is stupid, nukes are much more effective.

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Apr 28, 2008, 05:17 PM

Originally Posted by tie View Post
Our farmers already are rich. Food prices are extremely high, land prices are extremely high, government subsidies are extremely high.
Not the ones I know, the farmers I talk with are losing their land and defaulting on their mortgages. Last month I gave my 2nd cousin (a farmer and cattle rancher) $1500 so he wouldn't lose his home.

Wealthy bastards!
- Thomas Paine

peeb
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 28, 2008, 05:31 PM

Corporate farms are rich, small farmers are going to the wall.

Atomic Rooster
Apr 28, 2008, 06:32 PM

Originally Posted by Shaddim View Post
So was my wife's great-grandfather, what's your point?

There's quite a difference between what you do and what your ancestors did.
You mean you've forgotten how the Bin Ladin's, the Saudi's and the Bush's were in the closet together.

Short memory or maybe you were hoodwinked but I'll give you some credit and say you just overlooked it at the moment you pressed the submit reply button.

tie
Professional Poster
Apr 28, 2008, 06:53 PM

Originally Posted by Shaddim View Post
Not the ones I know, the farmers I talk with are losing their land and defaulting on their mortgages. Last month I gave my 2nd cousin (a farmer and cattle rancher) $1500 so he wouldn't lose his home.

Wealthy bastards!
Second cousin? My own post was based on first-hand anecdotal evidence. I guess we need some concrete numbers if we want to argue.

peeb
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 28, 2008, 07:24 PM

Numbers about the number of small farmers who are going bankrupt and the amount of govt subsidy going to corporate farmers are pretty easy to come by.

Macrobat
Mac Elite
Apr 29, 2008, 09:55 AM

Originally Posted by peeb View Post
Bush has done far more damage to the US than Al Quaeda, and Pelosi has failed to stop him. Let's let someone else have a shot.
Really? Talking points much?

New study:

Esteem for US rises in Asia | The Australian
"That Others May Live"
On the ISG: "The nation's capital hasn't seen such concentrated wisdom in one place since Paris Hilton dined alone at the Hooters on Connecticut Avenue." - John Podhoretz

peeb
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 29, 2008, 11:08 AM

You get your middle east analysis from 'The Australian'? Come on. Do you disagree that Al Quaeda has done less damage to the US than Bush? If so, on what grounds?

tie
Professional Poster
Apr 29, 2008, 12:52 PM

Numbers about the number of small farmers who are going bankrupt and the amount of govt subsidy going to corporate farmers are pretty easy to come by.
Then go ahead and come by them. I'll wait. Since the price of corn has gone up 200% (i.e., by a factor of three) over the last ~6 years, if a farmer can't make it now they really should be going out of business. (Yes, fertilizer is up, too, but still.)

Additionally, the fact is that most farming is done by big farmers. Complaining that small farmers are doing poorly is like saying that custom auto-makers are doing poorly. We're in the industrial age, and shouldn't be subsidizing inefficient companies.

peeb
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 29, 2008, 12:58 PM

Then go ahead and come by them. I'll wait. Since the price of corn has gone up 200% (i.e., by a factor of three) over the last ~6 years, if a farmer can't make it now they really should be going out of business. (Yes, fertilizer is up, too, but still.)
As you know, prices are irrelevant, profit margins are what you want to look at.
Additionally, the fact is that most farming is done by big farmers. Complaining that small farmers are doing poorly is like saying that custom auto-makers are doing poorly. We're in the industrial age, and shouldn't be subsidizing inefficient companies.
We are subsidizing industrial agriculture massively, much more than small farmers. I'll find you some number to demonstrate this if google isn't working on your machine.

peeb
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 29, 2008, 01:01 PM

Still at the Federal Trough: Farm Subsidies for the Rich and Famous Shattered Records in 2001 - nearly three quarters of subsidy money goes to the top 10% of recipients.

peeb
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 29, 2008, 01:02 PM

Sorry for multiple posts, seems like the upgrade broke some stuff.
Since 1990, payments to large farms have nearly tripled, while payments to small farms have remained constant. The Heritage Foundation also claim "Specifically, large farms are using their massive federal subsidies to purchase small farms and consolidate the agriculture industry. As they buy up smaller farms, not only are these large farms able to capitalize further on economies of scale and become more profitable, but they also become eligible for even more federal subsidies—which they can use to buy even more small farms."

tie
Professional Poster
Apr 29, 2008, 01:39 PM

You haven't been able to find anything supporting your original claim?

peeb
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 29, 2008, 02:04 PM

You're talking about bankruptcies? I've shown pretty clearly where the subsidies go.
http://www.kerrcenter.com/publications/FarmCrisis.PDF
Bankruptcies and buyouts of small farmers are a huge issue. Massive subsidies of inefficient large farms are a massive cause of this.

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Apr 29, 2008, 02:30 PM

Second cousin? My own post was based on first-hand anecdotal evidence. I guess we need some concrete numbers if we want to argue.
So was mine, farmers are going bankrupt at an alarming rate.
- Thomas Paine

smacintush
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 29, 2008, 02:41 PM

Since the price of corn has gone up 200% (i.e., by a factor of three) over the last ~6 years, if a farmer can't make it now they really should be going out of business.
Good, can we drop the high tariffs on sugar now and stop using that god-awful corn syrup in everything?
Being in debt and celebrating a lower deficit is like being on a diet and celebrating the fact you gained two pounds this week instead of five.

peeb
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 29, 2008, 02:44 PM

Originally Posted by smacintush View Post
Good, can we drop the high tariffs on sugar now and stop using that god-awful corn syrup in everything?
No! That subsidy is to a large political constituency! [jedi]This is not the corporate welfare you are looking for. These corporations can go about their business of extorting the taxpayer. [/jedi]

smacintush
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 29, 2008, 02:53 PM

[jedi]This is not the corporate welfare you are looking for…[/jedi]
I lolled.
Being in debt and celebrating a lower deficit is like being on a diet and celebrating the fact you gained two pounds this week instead of five.

tie
Professional Poster
Apr 29, 2008, 03:29 PM

You're talking about bankruptcies? I've shown pretty clearly where the subsidies go.
http://www.kerrcenter.com/publications/FarmCrisis.PDF
Bankruptcies and buyouts of small farmers are a huge issue. Massive subsidies of inefficient large farms are a massive cause of this.
The date on that document is 2000.

Forget it, you don't have to come up with any numbers, I was just curious if you or Shaddim had anything to back up your claims of a "crisis." Apparently not.

smacintush, this is a whole welfare industry and a population that justifies living off welfare (i.e., off other people's tax money) by saying that they are "preserving a way of life" and things along that line. I think we need to cut off and shame these communities.

peeb
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 29, 2008, 03:51 PM

smacintush, this is a whole corporate welfare industry and a population of CEOs that justifies living off welfare (i.e., off other people's tax money) by saying that they are "preserving a way of life" and things along that line. I think we need to cut off and shame these companies. Since nearly three quarters of subsidy money goes to the top 10% of recipients.
Fixed that for you!

tie
Professional Poster
Apr 29, 2008, 10:03 PM

I'm not sure why you think a company should be ashamed of taking money from the government. I do think that individuals should be ashamed of taking welfare payments, though. I guess I am just funny that way, though.

Forum Links
Forum Rules