Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Political/War Lounge > ANOTHER republican loss.....

ANOTHER republican loss.....
lefty mclefty
Baninated
May 14, 2008, 08:29 PM

House and Senate Roundup 5/14
by brownsox
Wed May 14, 2008 at 03:17:34 PM PDT

House Races

MS-01: The most significant political news from yesterdaym, by far, was Democrat Travis Childers' commanding victory in the First District of Mississippi.

This is a devastating, crushing, soul-shattering loss for the Republican Party. They had no excuses to lose this race, yet they did, and they lost quite badly. Republican leadership should be absolutely terrified...and it seems they are. (source: Daily Kos)

i find it amusing that the rightwingers at macnn forums NEVER notice their little bubble bursting...americans don't want ANY republicans!!! none!!! they have done SO much damage in their short period of power, america has spoken...GET OUT!!!!

Rumor
May 14, 2008, 09:52 PM

This troll account wasn't funny to begin with, and has really worn out its welcome.
I like my water with hops, malt, hops, yeast, and hops.

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
May 15, 2008, 01:00 AM

Yeah, it's pretty yawn-worthy now. Meh.

On a more important note, I took delivery of my new M3 coupe today. It's rad.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

Rumor
May 15, 2008, 01:08 AM

You should take some pictures and start a thread about. I am interested.

ebuddy
Posting Junkie
May 15, 2008, 07:03 AM

Originally Posted by lefty mclefty View Post
House and Senate Roundup 5/14
by brownsox
Wed May 14, 2008 at 03:17:34 PM PDT

House Races

MS-01: The most significant political news from yesterdaym, by far, was Democrat Travis Childers' commanding victory in the First District of Mississippi.

This is a devastating, crushing, soul-shattering loss for the Republican Party. They had no excuses to lose this race, yet they did, and they lost quite badly. Republican leadership should be absolutely terrified...and it seems they are. (source: Daily Kos)

i find it amusing that the rightwingers at macnn forums NEVER notice their little bubble bursting...americans don't want ANY republicans!!! none!!! they have done SO much damage in their short period of power, america has spoken...GET OUT!!!!
I'm not sure I trust your definition of "rightwingers". Americans afford the primarily democratic congress as much confidence as they do Bush. Americans generally support wire-tapping and email snooping. Most Americans don't want gay marriage or partial-birth abortion and if news out of Iraq was good, they'd be on board for that too. I'm guessing you won't be trumpeting these good ol' Amerrcn values in your partisan quackery.
ebuddy

lefty mclefty  (op)
Baninated
May 15, 2008, 08:53 AM

touched a nerve, huh? sorry guys, your parties over!!! the red states are turning blue! the people are speaking....it's a wonderful thing....you only have yourselves to blame...absolute power corrupts, absolutely! it's so true...have a nice day....

tie
Professional Poster
May 15, 2008, 10:20 AM

I think the idea, ebuddy, is that maybe some Americans have learned a lesson over the last eight years? Stupid economic policies give you a bad economy, inflation, and a plunging dollar. Stupid wars give you greatly reduced US power and hundreds of thousands of extra dead people. Americans can figure this out. This thesis is a bit optimistic, since it clearly doesn't apply to you, but I think it is probably accurate. Not everyone is blindly partisan, and most people can recognize cause and effect.
The 4 o'clock train will be a bus.
It will depart at 20 minutes to 5.

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
May 15, 2008, 11:40 AM

Originally Posted by Rumor View Post
This troll account wasn't funny to begin with, and has really worn out its welcome.
I think we all have a good idea who the real OP is
45/47

Dakar the Fourth
Addicted to MacNN
May 15, 2008, 11:44 AM

I don't know who it is, but if its a dupe account, I don't understand why it hasn't been banned yet.

zerostar
Mac Elite
May 15, 2008, 01:25 PM

Tip if the Iceberg in terms of "change". People are caring less about party and more about doing a good job, I have seen this with my own eyes. FL dems will pay for their mistakes too if they don't fix it somehow in denver.

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
May 15, 2008, 01:59 PM

Originally Posted by ebuddy View Post
I'm not sure I trust your definition of "rightwingers". Americans afford the primarily democratic congress as much confidence as they do Bush. Americans generally support wire-tapping and email snooping. Most Americans don't want gay marriage or partial-birth abortion and if news out of Iraq was good, they'd be on board for that too. I'm guessing you won't be trumpeting these good ol' Amerrcn values in your partisan quackery.
I don't trust your definition of the word "most."
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

lefty mclefty  (op)
Baninated
May 15, 2008, 04:08 PM

pigeon, you are wise beyond your years..may i call you sir pigeon?

lefty mclefty  (op)
Baninated
May 15, 2008, 04:20 PM

i believe there is freedom of speech, even here in macnn land....sure YOU would want to set up an internet abu gharab or that cuba "detention facility" guantonomo bay, but thankfully, you are not president of macnn land....

spacefreak
Addicted to MacNN
May 15, 2008, 07:12 PM

Wasn't the Democrat more conservative than the Republican? Another "Blue Dog".

lefty mclefty  (op)
Baninated
May 15, 2008, 07:44 PM

just keep track of the losses, spacefreak....they increase every day.....like the price of gas, and the number of dead soldiers, and so on and so forth.....

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
May 15, 2008, 09:14 PM

Originally Posted by spacefreak View Post
Wasn't the Democrat more conservative than the Republican? Another "Blue Dog".
That's how the (D)s took control in 2006. They ran candidates that were to the right of the (R) candidates.
45/47

Rumor
May 15, 2008, 09:22 PM

Originally Posted by Chongo View Post
That's how the (D)s took control in 2006. They ran candidates that were to the right of the (R) candidates.
Not entirely true.

In a two party system (occasionally we have a third), you get one or the other. People were tired of one and chose the other. It isn't the first time it happened, nor will it be the last.

Atomic Rooster
May 15, 2008, 10:02 PM

Nothing to say. Ah...ah...what to do? Oh yeah, attack the messenger.

And derail the thread.

Rumor
May 15, 2008, 10:16 PM

Look here and honestly tell me it isn't a troll account.

Besides, so what? The seat went to a democrat. And? It was held by a Republican for 14 years, and it changed. It happens.

The Democrats held the seat for over 100 years prior to that. Granted, during that time, Democrats changed significantly. However, the same Democrat held it for forty years.

ebuddy
Posting Junkie
May 15, 2008, 10:30 PM

touched a nerve, huh? sorry guys, your parties over!!! the red states are turning blue! the people are speaking....it's a wonderful thing....you only have yourselves to blame...absolute power corrupts, absolutely! it's so true...have a nice day....
Your progressive movement ladies and gentlemen.
ebuddy

ebuddy
Posting Junkie
May 15, 2008, 10:31 PM

Originally Posted by olePigeon View Post
I don't trust your definition of the word "most."
You're welcome to establish where I'm wrong?
ebuddy

Rumor
May 15, 2008, 10:37 PM

Your progressive movement ladies and gentlemen.
One troll loose on a forum doesn't represent an entire movement.

vmarks
Moderator Emeritus
May 15, 2008, 10:37 PM

i believe there is freedom of speech, even here in macnn land....sure YOU would want to set up an internet abu gharab or that cuba "detention facility" guantonomo bay, but thankfully, you are not president of macnn land....
Actually,

There is no guarantee of Freedom of Speech issue here.

Freedom of Speech is a concept enshrined in the US Constitution which simply guarantees that Congress shall not abridge your right to speak your mind, or express yourself in any number of ways.

That Constitution does not prevent private entities, like MacNN, from limiting the reach of your speech.

You have to follow rules you agreed to when you signed up for this account. You may well be wearing out your welcome.

ebuddy
Posting Junkie
May 15, 2008, 10:59 PM

Originally Posted by tie View Post
I think the idea, ebuddy, is that maybe some Americans have learned a lesson over the last eight years? Stupid economic policies give you a bad economy, inflation, and a plunging dollar.
I notice you've rekindled these tired arguments what... 4 weeks ago? You're of course familiar with the fact that the market will correct an overvalued dollar? S&P predicted the continued decline of the dollar back in 2004.
Bussiness week
This does not suggest that Bush and Co. have not been part of the problem, but I think you'll be hard-pressed in explaining how the primarily (D) Congress has offered a solution. As far as I can tell, it really started to plummet upon their take-over. It seems approval ratings reflect at least as much disgust with them as Bush. You'll no doubt avoid trumpeting their brilliance here.

Stupid wars give you greatly reduced US power and hundreds of thousands of extra dead people.
I'm glad you're giving the American people some credit now. After all, had it been up to the them, we'd have made a parking lot out of the entire region.

There always has been and always will be hundreds of thousands of extra dead people. It seems only you and lefty are slobbering over body-counts. Too bad your partisan tin-foil hat has fallen over your eyes. You apparently could not see the result of over 12 years of failed economic sanctions serving only to starve hundreds of thousands to death, rendering the UN a wholly ineffectual and powerless institution. I am encouraged by your concern for the US dollar. Had Iraq succeeded in moving OPEC off the US dollar, you'd have been screaming for action. Assuming of course the value of our dollar really means something to you and it's not another partisan "flavor of the day".

Americans can figure this out. This thesis is a bit optimistic, since it clearly doesn't apply to you, but I think it is probably accurate. Not everyone is blindly partisan, and most people can recognize cause and effect.
Far be it for you to be optimistic, but here's to hoping. As for partisan blindness; you've illustrated that second only to our resident troll lefty.
ebuddy

ebuddy
Posting Junkie
May 15, 2008, 11:03 PM

One troll loose on a forum doesn't represent an entire movement.
One troll loose on a forum represents a bowel movement. The remainder of them chiming in like cymbal-crashing monkeys represents the movement I'm referring to.
ebuddy

Rumor
May 15, 2008, 11:14 PM

One troll loose on a forum represents a bowel movement. The remainder of them chiming in like cymbal-crashing monkeys represents the movement I'm referring to.
Meh, I wouldn't even call a handful of hard-leaners on a random forum a good representation of a movement either.

Of course, that is unless the movement is only among that handful. Then it isn't so much a movement over a small group with like minded views. I guess a movement has to start somewhere though, right?

On that note, I just had the terrifing thought of a MacNN Poly/War Lounge movement. Made me shudder in 86Ëš.

ebuddy
Posting Junkie
May 16, 2008, 07:24 AM

Meh, I wouldn't even call a handful of hard-leaners on a random forum a good representation of a movement either.

Of course, that is unless the movement is only among that handful. Then it isn't so much a movement over a small group with like minded views. I guess a movement has to start somewhere though, right?

On that note, I just had the terrifing thought of a MacNN Poly/War Lounge movement. Made me shudder in 86Ëš.
Truth be told, I've often wondered if those involved with their candidates' campaigns ever check these forums for the internet pulse on issues. Your terrifying thought could be reality.

Regarding the Progressive movement statement; a couple of years ago there was a thread posted by one of these cymbal-crashing monkeys entitled Calling all Progressives. I will demonstrate essentially what was found inside using another hand cymbal-crashing monkey's posting style.

bushie and you bushies suck.!...your bludthersty war for oil.... and your neocon aboo grayb and gwantanumo prison camps....!we need a thread that doesnt have bushie consrvatives in it....

I've been using this as the general template and rallying call of the 'NNs Progressive Movement. From time to time you see the old order crop up again and it seems to have made itself apparent in this thread.
ebuddy

tie
Professional Poster
May 16, 2008, 08:44 AM

This does not suggest that Bush and Co. have not been part of the problem, but I think you'll be hard-pressed in explaining how the primarily (D) Congress has offered a solution. As far as I can tell, it really started to plummet upon their take-over. It seems approval ratings reflect at least as much disgust with them as Bush. You'll no doubt avoid trumpeting their brilliance here.
ebuddy, this is an extremely weak argument that doesn't even try to rebut me. So yes I'll concede that the Democrats, with a one-vote margin of control in the Senate, haven't managed to overturn Bush's vetoes.

I'm glad you're giving the American people some credit now. After all, had it been up to the them, we'd have made a parking lot out of the entire region.
Whatever this is supposed to mean.

There always has been and always will be hundreds of thousands of extra dead people. It seems only you and lefty are slobbering over body-counts.
Weren't you "slobbering" over body counts a few years ago? So shouldn't you be "slobbering" over the body counts now that are higher than during the 12 years of failed economic sanctions? I guess not. From the way you phrase your post, your main concern is that the UN might be rendered "a wholly ineffectual and powerless institution." Oh, heavens. This is an extremely stupid reason for starting a $2-3 trillion war.

I am encouraged by your concern for the US dollar. Had Iraq succeeded in moving OPEC off the US dollar, you'd have been screaming for action.
I know you are just trying to put words in my mouth because you can't argue against anything that I have actually said and your own record is as bad as it could be... But I'll grant you this one, because I'm curious where you might be going with it. Yes, I'd be screaming to start a $2-3 trillion war, incurring about $10,000 of tax obligations on myself, because OPEC moved off the US dollar. How dare they.

Hindsight is supposed to be 20-20. It is pretty awful that the only reasons you can come up now for the Iraq war are your concern that the UN might become a wholly ineffectual and powerless institution, and some random speculation about OPEC's dollar policy. Isn't this just proof that we should leave Iraq now? (Maybe not, but it certainly proves that you need to read more Republican blogs for talking points.)

Far be it for you to be optimistic, but here's to hoping.
Well, you can join Bush, Rumsfeld and McCain with your baseless, blind optimism. Instead of planning for the future, just trust that everything will turn out okay. I think we've all seen your track record for making predictions.
The 4 o'clock train will be a bus.
It will depart at 20 minutes to 5.

lefty mclefty  (op)
Baninated
May 16, 2008, 12:49 PM

Originally Posted by vmarks View Post
Actually,

There is no guarantee of Freedom of Speech issue here.

Freedom of Speech is a concept enshrined in the US Constitution which simply guarantees that Congress shall not abridge your right to speak your mind, or express yourself in any number of ways.

That Constitution does not prevent private entities, like MacNN, from limiting the reach of your speech.

You have to follow rules you agreed to when you signed up for this account. You may well be wearing out your welcome.
whatever, vmarks....your address and frequent sources clearly id you as being on the right...just as my name clearly id's me as being on the left....the VAST majority of the posters here are on the right....i am just trying to keep it fair and balanced, like fox news...someone can start a thread entitled "the assassination of barack obama", yet i cant start one entitled "arlen specter (R): rabid eagles fan, tepid senator"??? the right LOVES censorship, your doing your part as well...i thought you might like a different take on things for once....

vmarks
Moderator Emeritus
May 16, 2008, 01:26 PM

No, this is a private forum.

You agreed to rules when you signed up for this account.

You abide by those rules, or find your account short-lived.

There is no guarantee of free speech. You agreed to abridge your speech within the confines of the rules.

I did not close any such thread on Arlen Specter. If it is closed, it is the work of an admin.

I don't love censorship. If I did, you would have found that out before now. I rarely edit posts, I take a very light hand to moderating posts, because there just might be something interesting that you say one day, among everything else that emits from your keyboard. I know, it's an off chance, but it's one we've taken so far.

lefty mclefty  (op)
Baninated
May 16, 2008, 01:34 PM

stay tuned, i will keep participating....

ebuddy
Posting Junkie
May 16, 2008, 06:33 PM

Originally Posted by tie View Post
ebuddy, this is an extremely weak argument that doesn't even try to rebut me.
There was nothing in your opinion piece to rebut. I gave you my opinion on the dollar and a link to support it. I also indicated where once again you're unable to reconcile one of your partisan talking points with another. Do you have anything substantive at all to offer or is this going to be another one of your little pissing contests?

I also expressed a willingness to charge all responsible with the result of their policies...

So yes I'll concede that the Democrats, with a one-vote margin of control in the Senate, haven't managed to overturn Bush's vetoes.
... and you can't.

Whatever this is supposed to mean.
It means you're perfectly willing to trumpet the awareness of Americans, but only when it suits your ideals. This is not consistent.

Weren't you "slobbering" over body counts a few years ago? So shouldn't you be "slobbering" over the body counts now that are higher than during the 12 years of failed economic sanctions? I guess not.
When did I slobber over body-counts? You and lefty brought them up in the first place. I bring up "Hundreds of thousands of dead" due to inaction in response to the cymbal-crashing monkey who brings up "hundreds of thousands of dead" due to action. I can understand why you're in such a hurry to get out of there. After all, there's finally some semblance of good news and I'm sure this is upsetting your preferred political balance.

From the way you phrase your post, your main concern is that the UN might be rendered "a wholly ineffectual and powerless institution." Oh, heavens. This is an extremely stupid reason for starting a $2-3 trillion war.
Well... you got that wrong too. I hold no one reason to invade over another. There were a host of reasons, many of which those of your ilk do not recognize.

I know you are just trying to put words in my mouth because you can't argue against anything that I have actually said and your own record is as bad as it could be... But I'll grant you this one, because I'm curious where you might be going with it. Yes, I'd be screaming to start a $2-3 trillion war, incurring about $10,000 of tax obligations on myself, because OPEC moved off the US dollar. How dare they.
What does this paragraph even mean??? So... are you concerned with the value of the US dollar or not? If yes, how concerned? What do you propose that would solve the value of the dollar?

Hindsight is supposed to be 20-20. It is pretty awful that the only reasons you can come up now for the Iraq war are your concern that the UN might become a wholly ineffectual and powerless institution, and some random speculation about OPEC's dollar policy. Isn't this just proof that we should leave Iraq now? (Maybe not, but it certainly proves that you need to read more Republican blogs for talking points.)
Strawmen. This isn't a "highlight all the reasons for invading Iraq" thread. Quit trying to derail it. I addressed each of your points in kind. Cut with the BS already and please... make a point. A substantive point. Give me information. A link. Something to suggest you're reading anything at all.

Well, you can join Bush, Rumsfeld and McCain with your baseless, blind optimism. Instead of planning for the future, just trust that everything will turn out okay. I think we've all seen your track record for making predictions.
Amazing how the opposition to Iraqi action wreaks of the above mentality. Just trust right? Everything will turn out okay.

True though, we've all seen my track record and most are thinking you really don't have a shot at engaging me.
ebuddy

ebuddy
Posting Junkie
May 16, 2008, 06:40 PM

Make sure you come back as something more obscure like... Chavez.
ebuddy

lefty mclefty  (op)
Baninated
May 16, 2008, 06:49 PM

he actually GIVES oil to poor americans...sure it's all a pr stunt...but why can't our oil companies do the same thing? would it hurt them? it's all about greed...

ebuddy
Posting Junkie
May 16, 2008, 06:58 PM

he actually GIVES oil to poor americans...sure it's all a pr stunt...but why can't our oil companies do the same thing? would it hurt them? it's all about greed...
I'd much rather he find a way of distributing food to his own starving poor than oil to our poor. That'd make for a more prudent pr stunt IMO. I do agree though, you can always follow the money. Always.
ebuddy

lefty mclefty  (op)
Baninated
May 16, 2008, 07:00 PM

I also expressed a willingness to charge all responsible with the result of their policies...

... and you can't.

It means you're perfectly willing to trumpet the awareness of Americans, but only when it suits your ideals. This is not consistent.

When did I slobber over body-counts? You and lefty brought them up in the first place. I bring up "Hundreds of thousands of dead" due to inaction in response to the cymbal-crashing monkey who brings up "hundreds of thousands of dead" due to action. I can understand why you're in such a hurry to get out of there. After all, there's finally some semblance of good news and I'm sure this is upsetting your preferred political balance.
could you explain "some semblance of good news" please?....i just hear about bombs and bodies, very little infrastructure, and the fact that the moment we leave, full scale civil war erupts, which was warned about PRIOR to the misguided bush "plan", hence, mccains "100 year commitment" comment

lefty mclefty  (op)
Baninated
May 16, 2008, 07:03 PM

[QUOTE=ebuddy;3656824

When did I slobber over body-counts? You and lefty brought them up in the first place. I bring up "Hundreds of thousands of dead" due to inaction in response to the cymbal-crashing monkey who brings up "hundreds of thousands of dead" due to action. I can understand why you're in such a hurry to get out of there. After all, there's finally some semblance of good news and I'm sure this is upsetting your preferred political balance. [/QUOTE]

could you explain "some semblance of good news" please?....i just hear about bombs and bodies, very little infrastructure, and the fact that the moment we leave, full scale civil war erupts, which was warned about PRIOR to the misguided bush "plan", hence, mccains "100 year commitment" comment

lefty mclefty  (op)
Baninated
May 16, 2008, 07:04 PM

sorry for mixed posts...

ebuddy
Posting Junkie
May 16, 2008, 07:10 PM

The "100 year commitment" issue has been debunked to absolute death. Did you hear that we've got troops committed all over the world? I'm not sure what you're reading and viewing, but I have a hunch it is not something that would provide a list of accomplishments in Iraq. I'll be back with details.
ebuddy

lefty mclefty  (op)
Baninated
May 16, 2008, 07:55 PM

understood about worldwide troops, there in a MUCH safer location where ever they are, anywhere is better than iraq. mccain said it, he meant it, and our troops will be targets FOREVER over there. we have to get out. "we are where we are"...another mccainism...we never should have gotten in this quagmire...there, i said it! the Q word. maybe we can hand over bush, cheney and rummy, let them face the iraq "people's court" if the iraqi's are so pleased with the changes being made over there, they will be ok...if not.......i don't like their chances....

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
May 16, 2008, 08:20 PM

understood about worldwide troops, there in a MUCH safer location where ever they are, anywhere is better than iraq. :
Such as the minefield that is the Korean DMZ
45/47

lefty mclefty  (op)
Baninated
May 16, 2008, 08:27 PM

i just googled "progress in iraq"...at the bottom of the first page there were two links..."progress in iraq, 2007" and "no progress in iraq"...i clicked both: progress had 630,000 links..no progress had 799,000 links....this proves:nothing. the bitter divide can be argued over ad nauseam....i think most americans would agree (many polls have been taken) that this war is an unmitigated disaster...you can show me progress perhaps in some areas, i can show you disaster for sure in others. the point is, the right HAD to win this war lickity split...they promised they would! they didn't, and now they pay by losing their races throughout the country. the people have had enough!

lefty mclefty  (op)
Baninated
May 16, 2008, 08:30 PM

i haven't heard of ANY soldiers in that minefield, i understand it's called "no mans land", for good reason......

apparently, 50 americans have died in the dmz over the last 40 years....thats a months worth in iraq!!!
( Last edited by lefty mclefty; May 16, 2008 at 08:37 PM. Reason: additional research)

turtle777
Clinically Insane
May 16, 2008, 08:52 PM

I was afraid that was gonna happen

-t

lefty mclefty  (op)
Baninated
May 16, 2008, 08:54 PM

your still number 1 on my buddy list !

turtle777
Clinically Insane
May 16, 2008, 08:59 PM

Originally Posted by Dakar the Fourth View Post
I don't know who it is, but if its a dupe account, I don't understand why it hasn't been banned yet.
My money is on abe.

He's banned from the PWL, and keeps posting as abe in the Lounge. Lefty almost exclusively posts in the PWL.

Mods should check the IPs.

-t

lefty mclefty  (op)
Baninated
May 16, 2008, 09:48 PM

Originally Posted by turtle777 View Post
My money is on abe.

He's banned from the PWL, and keeps posting as abe in the Lounge. Lefty almost exclusively posts in the PWL.

Mods should check the IPs.

-t
gosh darn it, i'm lefty mclefty, and by golly, people like me!

(t777, your no columbo!)
( Last edited by lefty mclefty; May 16, 2008 at 09:51 PM. Reason: additional info)

besson3c
Clinically Insane
May 16, 2008, 09:53 PM

At least Abe knows the difference between "your" and "you're"

turtle777
Clinically Insane
May 16, 2008, 09:53 PM

(t777, your no columbo!)
your no grammar champ

-t

besson3c
Clinically Insane
May 16, 2008, 10:03 PM

Also, his name is "turtle777", and don't you even think of sassing him. Turtle777 and I are the best of friends forever, just like Batman and Robin!

Forum Links
Forum Rules