Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > iBook G4: shut lid, sleep light didn't come on, screen was blank..

iBook G4: shut lid, sleep light didn't come on, screen was blank..
webcookie
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 24, 2003, 02:39 PM

I shut the lid of my iBook for it to go to sleep. The sleep light didn't come on, and sometimes for whatever reason it doesn't do that, so I just opened the lid again, but this time the screen was blank and nothing would make it come back on. I had to reboot because I had no screen. It works fine now, and that was the only time I ever had that problem. What happened?
iBook G4: 800mhz, 640mb, 40gb ("Astrid")
iPod: 30gb Photo ("Gordon"), 1gb Shuffle ("Tinker Bell")
For the record: I am female

malone
Forum Regular
Nov 24, 2003, 05:29 PM

Originally posted by webcookie:
I shut the lid of my iBook for it to go to sleep. The sleep light didn't come on, and sometimes for whatever reason it doesn't do that, so I just opened the lid again, but this time the screen was blank and nothing would make it come back on. I had to reboot because I had no screen. It works fine now, and that was the only time I ever had that problem. What happened?
No piece of software as complex as OS X is bug free. You probably just ran into one. Nothing to worry about.

chabig
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 24, 2003, 05:46 PM

What version of OS X are you running?

wildcard
Forum Regular
Nov 24, 2003, 05:50 PM

I've had this happen occasionally with both Powerbooks and Ibooks. If you open it, does the sleep light come ON?

arclight
Forum Regular
Nov 24, 2003, 07:12 PM

That sleep issue used to affect my ibook when I first got it. It's a 12" G3/800 but that all stopped when I upgraded to 10.2.x, whatever minor update came after Jaguar. It would not go to sleep right away after closing the lid. If I left it alone it would eventually go to sleep after a few minutes. The problem was that it would not wake up unless I rebooted. Sorry, but I don't remember what caused the problem but I would let Apple know about it. Check out the knowledge base on the Apple support site.
---------------------------------------

webcookie  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 24, 2003, 07:52 PM

I'm running Panther, just as it came, no upgrades or anything.

When I opened the lid, the sleep light did not come on.

I'm just afraid to put him to sleep now!
iBook G4: 800mhz, 640mb, 40gb ("Astrid")
iPod: 30gb Photo ("Gordon"), 1gb Shuffle ("Tinker Bell")
For the record: I am female

arclight
Forum Regular
Nov 24, 2003, 10:21 PM

Have you tried re-installing Panther or restoring it from the included CD's? I have read about many problems people have had with Panther that were solved by just wiping the drive clean and re-installing. Just a thought before taking it back to Apple. Sleep problems are software related I believe so it might actually work-

There were others who couldn't get their combo drives to read DVD's and a re-install fixed it-
---------------------------------------

beaverclea
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 24, 2003, 11:09 PM

Hey i've been having the same problem recently, on my G4 ibook. Same thing - let it fall asleep, and it took several presses of the restart button to get it to restart.

gabriela80ph
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 25, 2003, 12:14 AM

i've run into the same problem. it takes a while for my ibook G4 to wake up, sometimes i have to press buttons several times for it to wake up from sleep.

castle3
Nov 30, 2003, 12:29 AM

Same here. cept its on my G3/800. i have a crazy assumption that i may need to upgrade my ram, but i have 256mb so, again, it could be something else. does anybody have more assumptions??
one day you are going to wake up and
live.

ccsccs7
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 30, 2003, 01:35 AM

I've had problems if I let my screen saver come on at about the same time my screen is set to turn off. Could there be a connection? If you have the screen saver to ask for a password to gain access it won't let you change the brightness then (only after you have put in your password will the changes take affect.

That is where my suspicions lie.
12" Powerbook 1.5GHz/SuperDrive, 1.25GB Ram, 80GB HD, Airport Extreme, Mac OS X 10.4.11 Tiger
iBook (Late 2001)600MHz/Combo, 640MB RAM, 20GB HD, Airport, Mac OS X 10.3.9 Panther — web server

wowok1234
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 30, 2003, 01:50 AM

As a last resort, you can either try resetting the PMU(power manager) or the PRAM and the NVRAM. Check out these docs:

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.h...num=14449#faq6 (for the PMU)

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=2238

Otherwise I would have to ask you what you have installed last before this problem happened. Also try creating another account and putting the iBook asleep using that account.

Eciton
Forum Regular
Nov 30, 2003, 03:07 PM

It's happened for me too with my G4/800, and since I'm having some other bugs (disappearing Bluetooth indicator, random crashes, lost preferences) I'm going to reinstall Panther next time I get a chance. Annoying though, as I just got the damn thing set up how I wanted

nobodybutme
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 30, 2003, 11:35 PM

Same problem here. Happened about 30 minutes ago. It was really disappointing since we had the laptop for about two days. I was just hoping that it wasn't indicative of a larger defect.

I'll look into the screen saver issue, although I haven't seen it turned on the whole time. I know there are bugs in all software, but one that forces a reboot due to sleep is a bad one in my opinion. Acutally, anthing that forces and unscheduled reboot is high severity. ...unless of course it's user error, which is a definite possibility..

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Dec 3, 2003, 03:53 AM

I'm sorry to hear this problem has resurfaced. I used to experience this with some frequency using 10.0 and 10.1 (especially when disconnecting USB devices), but that basically ceased with 10.2. I'm currently running 10.2.3.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

fisherKing
Professional Poster
Dec 3, 2003, 03:24 PM

i have the same problem on my g3 powerbook...running 10.3.1 (didnt see this in 10.2.x)

just visiting the ibook forum! (as i'm considering one...)
"At first, there was Nothing. Then Nothing inverted itself and became Something.
And that is what you all are: inverted Nothings...with potential" (Sun Ra)

castle3
Dec 6, 2003, 01:18 PM

ah ha! i've found that if you close the ibook too fast it may not pick up the sleep mode! i know that should'nt have to worry about how fast one closes their ibook, but if you just kindly shut it then it goes to sleep. now i could be wrong but those of you with sleep problems, should gently close it. try this, if it's still not working then im sorry! This is actually working for me.
one day you are going to wake up and
live.

nobodybutme
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 7, 2003, 09:29 AM

Originally posted by castle3:
ah ha! i've found that if you close the ibook too fast it may not pick up the sleep mode! i know that should'nt have to worry about how fast one closes their ibook, but if you just kindly shut it then it goes to sleep. now i could be wrong but those of you with sleep problems, should gently close it. try this, if it's still not working then im sorry! This is actually working for me.
This seemed a little strange to me, but I tried it. It seems to work for me as well, or maybe I'm just getting lucky. I don't know.

It's not conclusive at all, but for me, opening it slowly seems to help. I haven't had the problem for two days (and I was having the problem once or twice a day), but I may be doing something else different as well.

Thanks for the tip. I'll keep trying it.

ccsccs7
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 7, 2003, 09:41 AM

I just had this problem last night (almost). I put the lid down, and it wasn't going to sleep. I opened it up and the screen was blank (except for the arrow). I figured it was just taking a long time to go to sleep (I assume because of using lots of memory hogging programs. (I had Real Player open which was something different). But the blank screen was the screen saver/password screen.

After what seemed like at least 30 seconds, it went to sleep. It took probably a good 10 seconds to show the password box too upon awakening.
12" Powerbook 1.5GHz/SuperDrive, 1.25GB Ram, 80GB HD, Airport Extreme, Mac OS X 10.4.11 Tiger
iBook (Late 2001)600MHz/Combo, 640MB RAM, 20GB HD, Airport, Mac OS X 10.3.9 Panther — web server

Forum Links
Forum Rules