Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Long OS X startup; long waking up; because of EyeTV?

Long OS X startup; long waking up; because of EyeTV?
HamSandwich
Jun 14, 2009, 05:02 PM

Hello everyone,
I'm using my dad's Mac mini currently, old G4 model with OS X 10.5.6. We bought an eyetv usb stick with the EyeTV program 10 days or so ago and ever since - sometimes - the mini takes long to start up, like 15 minutes and sometimes to wake up from sleep takes 3 to 5 minutes. I'm not sure if it is related to EyeTV but since this happens since we bought it, I think a connection is possible.

Any ideas?

I already ran First Aid (general was ok; permissions didn't worked, it just ran and ran and I stopped after 20 minutes!?). The hard drive is rather full, 32 out of 37 GB are used, might this be a problem? Might initialising the hard drive and reinstalling OS X help?

Help appreciated,
thanks!
Steve

JKT
Professional Poster
Jun 14, 2009, 09:32 PM

EyeTV uses 2GB of disk space as a scratch file by default (so you are now down to 3GB of disk space which could easily be eaten up by swap files for virtual memory), so lack of space on your hard drive is quite likely to be the problem. If I were you, I would get something like the NewerTech miniStack with a decent sized hard drive installed (e.g. 500GB) and locate your EyeTV database on that. If you make any recordings using the EyeTV they are also going to be GBsin size.

You should also consider getting a bigger internal hard drive for the mini or moving as much as you can off the disk to make some room.

Also, how much RAM do you have installed? That could be another problem.

HamSandwich
Jun 15, 2009, 05:15 AM

Originally Posted by JKT View Post
EyeTV uses 2GB of disk space as a scratch file by default (so you are now down to 3GB of disk space which could easily be eaten up by swap files for virtual memory), so lack of space on your hard drive is quite likely to be the problem. If I were you, I would get something like the NewerTech miniStack with a decent sized hard drive installed (e.g. 500GB) and locate your EyeTV database on that. If you make any recordings using the EyeTV they are also going to be GBsin size.

You should also consider getting a bigger internal hard drive for the mini or moving as much as you can off the disk to make some room.

Also, how much RAM do you have installed? That could be another problem.
Hey,
thanks for the quick answer, very helpful! I'm going to tell him off then

And there's one GB of RAM, I thought that's ok or isn't that enough these days?

Greetings,
Steve

JKT
Professional Poster
Jun 15, 2009, 10:04 AM

For Leopard I would say that it is at the bottom end of what you need, but it will work. However, EyeTV is quite RAM intensive when you are watching or recording anything, so I would suggest getting more if you can afford it (and if your G4 Mac mini can take more - I think they might top out at 1GB anyway).

Forum Links
Forum Rules